Virginia couple wins lottery for fourth time

Feb 26, 2017, 10:10 am (33 comments)

Virginia Lottery

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — A Virginia couple has gotten good at winning the lottery, claiming their fourth major prize on Valentine's Day.

Calvin and Zatera Spencer are building quite a collection of those oversized Virginia Lottery souvenir checks.

In March 2014, Lottery Post reported the Portsmouth couple had a lucky month, winning $1 million in the March 12 Powerball drawing, $50,000 in the March 26 Pick 4 drawing and the $1 million prize in the $100 Million Cash Extravaganza Scratcher game.

(See Lucky Va. couple claims three major lottery prizes in one month, Lottery Post, Mar. 31, 2014.)

Now they have another prize to add. Calvin matched all five numbers in the February 1 Cash 5 day drawing to win that game's $100,000 top prize. "I feel like I'm good at it," he joked as the couple claimed their latest prize.

The winning ticket was bought at the Tinee Giant on Airline Boulevard. The winning numbers were 1, 16, 18, 26, and 31.

Calvin said he used birthdays in selecting the numbers on his ticket. He said the couple has been "enjoying life" since their lucky month in 2014, and they both still work.

"It's a blessing from the Lord," he said.

Cash 5 drawings are held daily at 1:59 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. The chances of winning the $100,000 top prize are 1 in 278,256.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations Mr. & Mrs Spencer Hurray!

Redd55

Unfair to losers!  LOL

$1 million

$50k

$1 million

and now $50k...not bad! 

The 2014 article says they took the cash option on the second million they won which was $681k before taxes.  Yikes! I would hate to know what they received after taxes.

wander73's avatarwander73

Lucky they need to invest the money principal and interest once they do that they're set.

Redd55

Quote: Originally posted by Redd55 on Feb 26, 2017

Unfair to losers!  LOL

$1 million

$50k

$1 million

and now $50k...not bad! 

The 2014 article says they took the cash option on the second million they won which was $681k before taxes.  Yikes! I would hate to know what they received after taxes.

Make their last win $100k - not $50k, for a grand total of $2,150,000.

GiveFive's avatarGiveFive

Looks like Richard Lustig has some competition..... And very good competition at that!  G5

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by Redd55 on Feb 26, 2017

Unfair to losers!  LOL

$1 million

$50k

$1 million

and now $50k...not bad! 

I guess the next win is going to be $1M again.

FlamingoGirl's avatarFlamingoGirl

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Feb 26, 2017

I was thinking the same thing.

MaximumMillions

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingoGirl on Feb 26, 2017

I was thinking the same thing.

Wish I could be on the same schedule.Wink

Bleudog101

Great for them!!  Tried finding out who the Rhode Island couple that was featured on 'How the Lottery Changed my Life'.  Help me out LPers!  They weren't as big winners as this couple, however they frequented lottery headquarters so often with winners they were on a first name basis.

quicksloth35

Time to go to VA to hang / play lottery with my new best friends!

LOL

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Skeptical further proof I live in the wrong part of VA for winning

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by MaximumMillions on Feb 26, 2017

It looks like they're starting another March hot streak. Did you notice they bet $10 and won $50,000 on a pick-4 straight number?

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 26, 2017

Maybe, for starters you need to crawl out of that ogre's mouth.Perhaps then your luck will change. 

noise-gate

Calvin has a real leather jacket & an authentic gold chain around his neck. His dressed for the part. Congrats you two.

Tatototman65's avatarTatototman65

Congratulations!!!

Smile

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Feb 26, 2017

Great for them!!  Tried finding out who the Rhode Island couple that was featured on 'How the Lottery Changed my Life'.  Help me out LPers!  They weren't as big winners as this couple, however they frequented lottery headquarters so often with winners they were on a first name basis.

Oh... that's easy if you eat your vegetables, their name is Broccoli...they own an repair shop called Brock's auto body.

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 26, 2017

Tell me about, sounds like living in the wrong part of Jersey.

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Congrats to them.  Enjoy the wins.  Keep playing. Party

Get paid's avatarGet paid

Calvin & Zatera first of all congrats on the winnings, second maybe you should now keep a low profile.Like change ur number move to a another town or maybe to another country.Just sayin.

Seattlejohn

Wow.  I wonder (since they're using birthdays to pick their numbers & not a wheeling system) what the odds are of them receiving 4 wins.  I'm guessing bazillions to 1...  Smile

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Feb 26, 2017

Oh... that's easy if you eat your vegetables, their name is Broccoli...they own an repair shop called Brock's auto body.

Seriously?

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Feb 27, 2017

Seriously?

Yea, definitely on my list of unusual names, you can see why he used the nickname "brock"

for the repair shop. Now had he been a farmer...

pantherestates's avatarpantherestates

I Luv Them and congratulations!

paperweight

Great to see this brother and sister thrive, but let's be clear god has nothing to do with gambling. If that were the case everybody would be like the Spencer's....

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Feb 27, 2017

Yea, definitely on my list of unusual names, you can see why he used the nickname "brock"

for the repair shop. Now had he been a farmer...

Lol I was just chopping broccoli.

American Indian's avatarAmerican Indian

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Feb 28, 2017

Lol I was just chopping broccoli.

YEP they started there MARCH WINNING STREAK early this YEAR, CONGRATULATIONS!

I only need to WIN once This Is going to be my Month to HIT a GOOD ONE!!!

What do you expect from a Cat w/a signature like his, you say WE I didn't VOTE FOR THAT PIG, Neither did anyone else I know!

Quote: Originally posted by American Indian on Mar 2, 2017

YEP they started there MARCH WINNING STREAK early this YEAR, CONGRATULATIONS!

I only need to WIN once This Is going to be my Month to HIT a GOOD ONE!!!

What do you expect from a Cat w/a signature like his, you say WE I didn't VOTE FOR THAT PIG, Neither did anyone else I know!

I can use whatever I like for my signature. Get over it. So focus on lottery topics and learn how to spell.

mikeintexas's avatarmikeintexas

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Mar 2, 2017

I can use whatever I like for my signature. Get over it. So focus on lottery topics and learn how to spell.

Not to mention being a little more gender-aware. Wink

KAL035

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Mar 2, 2017

Great signature line Artist77 ! Nobody cares what the anti-American dimwit riff-raff crowd has to say anyway; it's all irrelevant now! America is back on the path to greatness with the Donald and his cabinet picks. All the community organizer communistic street vermin types need to shut up already and go back to their video games in mommy's basement for at least the next 8 years. That's all !

Quote: Originally posted by KAL035 on Mar 3, 2017

Great signature line Artist77 ! Nobody cares what the anti-American dimwit riff-raff crowd has to say anyway; it's all irrelevant now! America is back on the path to greatness with the Donald and his cabinet picks. All the community organizer communistic street vermin types need to shut up already and go back to their video games in mommy's basement for at least the next 8 years. That's all !

Thank you Kal!  USA! USA! USA. There was an interesting article about people who have this sudden sense of moral outrage. The conclusion was that it was a reflection of their own moral shortcomings.

Quote: Originally posted by mikeintexas on Mar 3, 2017

Not to mention being a little more gender-aware. Wink

Lol lol

pantherestates's avatarpantherestates

Wow!Talk about good luck!I remember these 2 winning the lottery for the 3rd time and now the 4th!whatever they are doing they are doing something right!Congrats 2 them both!!!!!

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by pantherestates on Mar 4, 2017

Wow!Talk about good luck!I remember these 2 winning the lottery for the 3rd time and now the 4th!whatever they are doing they are doing something right!Congrats 2 them both!!!!!

I assume they play much and big stacks $$$ as they are able to while rich, can afford it. Well imo $rich compare to me, and most.congrats.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story