Virginia woman wins Cash 5 lottery top prize 12 times for total of $1.2 million

Jul 3, 2017, 9:37 pm (39 comments)

Virginia Lottery

A Roanoke woman won a Virginia Lottery drawing not once, but 12 times, bringing her total winnings to $1.2 million.

When Bonnie McNew got the phone call from her husband saying she'd matched all five numbers in the Virginia Lottery's Cash 5 game, she didn't believe him at first.

"I had to see it myself," the Roanoke woman said. "I tried to stay calm."

Winning the game's $100,000 top prize would be amazing enough, but Ms. McNew had bought a dozen $1 plays, each with the same five numbers. That means she won a total of $1.2 million.

"I don't believe it," she said as she redeemed her winning tickets. "I'm still in shock."

She bought all 12 plays for the June 30 day drawing at Roadside Market (owned by Bluehurst LLC), a convenience store located at 10761 W Lynchburg Salem Turnpike in Montvale, according to a Virginia Lottery news release.

The winning numbers were 7, 11, 13, 14, and 29. She selected those numbers using family birthdays.

Ms. McNew, who works as an office manager, said she has no immediate plans for the winnings, except to save towards retirement.

Cash 5 drawing are held daily at 1:59 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.  The chances of winning the $100,000 top prize are 1 in 278,256.

Cash 5 winning numbers, as well as those for all other Virginia Lottery draw games, are published at Lottery Post's Virginia Lottery Results page minutes after each drawing.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Tatototman65's avatarTatototman65

Congrats!!!

Smile

music*'s avatarmusic*

Well done Bonnie!!!Lep

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jul 3, 2017

Well done Bonnie!!!Lep

I Agree!.. You know, l never could understand why numbers connected to birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc etc work for some people,and not others.It has to boil down to " being at the right place, at the right time, with the right numbers." I mean how else does one explain Bonnie's windfall? 

Toronto

Wow! The odds of this must be astronomical! She should sell her system for picking her numbers

OneTrickpony's avatarOneTrickpony

That's awesome!  Good for her!  When I have a feeling about certain numbers, I buy multiples of the same numbers too.  So far I haven't hit anything big, but it's fun to imagine!

Groppo's avatarGroppo

I don't know. I'm not lucky, ever.  All I can do is try again, and again.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

I'm sure they'll investigate her. Tipton has helped the lottery become hyper vigilant when anyone wins a large amount.. Repeatedly. 

Congrats, glad someone dispelled that birthdays or anniversary dates are rarely drawn.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jul 3, 2017

I Agree!.. You know, l never could understand why numbers connected to birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc etc work for some people,and not others.It has to boil down to " being at the right place, at the right time, with the right numbers." I mean how else does one explain Bonnie's windfall? 

noise-gate, 

A guy I worked for called it 'born under the right star'.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jul 3, 2017

I'm sure they'll investigate her. Tipton has helped the lottery become hyper vigilant when anyone wins a large amount.. Repeatedly. 

Congrats, glad someone dispelled that birthdays or anniversary dates are rarely drawn.

Take a look at her,does that look like someone who has something to hide? what's there to investigate? She won, besides, they only investigate Men.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jul 3, 2017

noise-gate, 

A guy I worked for called it 'born under the right star'.

Coin Toss, that makes so much sense. Why you ask? 'cause each time l look up into the night sky, " my wrong star keeps following me.."

Bleudog101

Congratulations Bonnie!  Wonder what the liability limit on their lottery is; i.e. when is it capped off, if at all?

Something about gas station wins!  Read this morning on CNN a 19 y/o New Yorker scratched a $1 million winner @ a gas station...another story for Todd to post!

zephbe's avatarzephbe

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jul 4, 2017

Take a look at her,does that look like someone who has something to hide? what's there to investigate? She won, besides, they only investigate Men.

they only investigate Men.Smile

that's good to know--even it's not true. 

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jul 4, 2017

Coin Toss, that makes so much sense. Why you ask? 'cause each time l look up into the night sky, " my wrong star keeps following me.."

Green laugh

You're not alone there!

amber123

I-believe-she-has-a-system...She's-doing-the-"surprise"-bit-to-convince-others-that-there-is-no-system...C'mon..12-times?

Kingofearth's avatarKingofearth

Quote: Originally posted by Groppo on Jul 3, 2017

I don't know. I'm not lucky, ever.  All I can do is try again, and again.

I Agree!

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Toronto on Jul 3, 2017

Wow! The odds of this must be astronomical! She should sell her system for picking her numbers

The odds against matching five numbers is 278,256 to 1 and exactly the same for players buying 25 cent tickets or multiple $1 tickets. Her system was to play birthday numbers.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jul 4, 2017

The odds against matching five numbers is 278,256 to 1 and exactly the same for players buying 25 cent tickets or multiple $1 tickets. Her system was to play birthday numbers.

Before Rolling Cash5, Ohio had a similar game called Buckeye5 with a jackpot cap of $1M so buying more 10 tickets with the same combination was a waste of money if you matched all five winning numbers.  Just before the game ended a guy did that with 13 tickets and was expecting to collect $1.3M, he not only didn't get $1.3M but had to share $1M with another winning ticket.  Disapprove

likeable1

i tried to win cash 5 few months ago. i had all the numbers. i went to put my money in the machine. the machine took my money and went out of order. i didnot make to another store in time and the drawing happen. i had to take a picture of my money in the machine. the store owner gave me a refund, but i miss another chance of me winning cash 5

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by likeable1 on Jul 4, 2017

i tried to win cash 5 few months ago. i had all the numbers. i went to put my money in the machine. the machine took my money and went out of order. i didnot make to another store in time and the drawing happen. i had to take a picture of my money in the machine. the store owner gave me a refund, but i miss another chance of me winning cash 5

Should have posted your picks on the prediction board, at least you would have some creditable bragging rights. Wink

kreative1's avatarkreative1

Quote: Originally posted by amber123 on Jul 4, 2017

I-believe-she-has-a-system...She's-doing-the-"surprise"-bit-to-convince-others-that-there-is-no-system...C'mon..12-times?

She bought 12 tickets for one day with the same bday numbers, she didn't win 12 different times Wink

Bleudog101

Just read the legal rules of this game.  Says it is computer generated, a euphemism ((IMO) for an RNG game.

Also stated the liability for each draw is $2 million.    Don't know how she beat the computer but so glad someone finally did.

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

Congratulations Party

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

WOW, played the same set of numbers 12 times?  Thats ALOT! 

I can see replaying the same numbers 2, 3 or even 5 times - but 12!! 

Congrats on the GREAT hit

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jul 4, 2017

Before Rolling Cash5, Ohio had a similar game called Buckeye5 with a jackpot cap of $1M so buying more 10 tickets with the same combination was a waste of money if you matched all five winning numbers.  Just before the game ended a guy did that with 13 tickets and was expecting to collect $1.3M, he not only didn't get $1.3M but had to share $1M with another winning ticket.  Disapprove

Yep and there was another guy in Ohio who played the four digit number on his motorcycle shipping grate, hit it in the box, got 200 more straight tickets for the next drawings and won $1 million. There were lots of stories on LP about people playing the same PB and MM numbers multiple times and winning too.  While it's not the same as hitting a jackpot game with multiple tickets, I always play the same pick-3 number straight multiple times.

I surprised so many LP members don't know some people play the same jackpot game numbers multiple times.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jul 5, 2017

Just read the legal rules of this game.  Says it is computer generated, a euphemism ((IMO) for an RNG game.

Also stated the liability for each draw is $2 million.    Don't know how she beat the computer but so glad someone finally did.

RNG is the abbreviation for "random number generator" so ball drawings are RNG and calling it "computer generated" is just distinguishing between the two. She simply played the same five numbers multiple times and got lucky and won.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by DELotteryPlyr on Jul 6, 2017

WOW, played the same set of numbers 12 times?  Thats ALOT! 

I can see replaying the same numbers 2, 3 or even 5 times - but 12!! 

Congrats on the GREAT hit

Some players rather than choosing to play games with million dollars jackpots, choose a game they think they can win and buy enough tickets to win a million dollars when they win.   Although I've never done the math, I suspect the odds of winning a million dollars are the same either way.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jul 6, 2017

Some players rather than choosing to play games with million dollars jackpots, choose a game they think they can win and buy enough tickets to win a million dollars when they win.   Although I've never done the math, I suspect the odds of winning a million dollars are the same either way.

I don't do it very often, but once in a while I'll play the same numbers 5 times in All or Nothing. Cost is $10 for a shot at $1.25 million. Odds are 1 in 2,704,156.

That's the best odds for $10 for at least $1 million unless Texas 2 Step rolls that high, which is rare, and also always parimutuel.

1977's avatar1977

Quote: Originally posted by amber123 on Jul 4, 2017

The story said  she used family birthdays.....Smile

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jul 6, 2017

If the odds against matching all five numbers are 1 in 278,256, those odds don't change regardless of how much is bet on those five numbers. The Virginia Cash 5 games allows 25 cent bets to win $25,000 and not bad for systems or wheel players.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jul 6, 2017

If the odds against matching all five numbers are 1 in 278,256, those odds don't change regardless of how much is bet on those five numbers. The Virginia Cash 5 games allows 25 cent bets to win $25,000 and not bad for systems or wheel players.

Players who play the same combinations several times aren't trying to change their odds but their payout amounts

sam9009's avatarsam9009

I love this story. Congrats.

Sometimes I do the same thing with NY Take 5.

waltoy's avatarwaltoy

Congrats Bonnie.

DELotteryPlyr's avatarDELotteryPlyr

Quote: Originally posted by sam9009 on Jul 7, 2017

I love this story. Congrats.

Sometimes I do the same thing with NY Take 5.

hummm.... maybe I try this with Bonus Match 5 tonight??????

Unlike NY Take 5, BM5 will pay out multiple jackpots @ 50k up to $600k.  So if I played 12 times it would max out the payout. 

sam9009's avatarsam9009

Quote: Originally posted by DELotteryPlyr on Jul 8, 2017

hummm.... maybe I try this with Bonus Match 5 tonight??????

Unlike NY Take 5, BM5 will pay out multiple jackpots @ 50k up to $600k.  So if I played 12 times it would max out the payout. 

I was in MD a couple of weeks ago playing Bonus Match 5.

I like that you get a discount the more you buy.

I like that they don't do that split the jackpot stuff.

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by OneTrickpony on Jul 3, 2017

That's awesome!  Good for her!  When I have a feeling about certain numbers, I buy multiples of the same numbers too.  So far I haven't hit anything big, but it's fun to imagine!

yep. i did this today and got it big again as few times this year. I will add on/multiple plays $ on only main key #s at times.

(When i can afford it ) even with Cash 5 here in NC. So since i am way UP this year$ i will continue. 1 of my cousins in Texas won 4 out of five so many times over the years. She would do it too.(Adding it multiple x same numbers) But never had yet all five.

Only one main key #s though. She is so happy i bet. Congratulations.Smiley

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jul 7, 2017

Players who play the same combinations several times aren't trying to change their odds but their payout amounts

Pick-3 players betting a straight/box ticket are playing the same combination multiple times and some probably never thought about it. As for odds of winning compared to payoff odds, it depends on who you talk with. If I play two $1 straight tickets on any three digit number, the odds against are 999 to 1 and the payoff is $998. After that every extra $1 straight win is $499 while the 999 to 1 never change.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Jul 9, 2017

Pick-3 players betting a straight/box ticket are playing the same combination multiple times and some probably never thought about it. As for odds of winning compared to payoff odds, it depends on who you talk with. If I play two $1 straight tickets on any three digit number, the odds against are 999 to 1 and the payoff is $998. After that every extra $1 straight win is $499 while the 999 to 1 never change.

In KY there are 24 winning combinations with pick 4.     Straight pays $5K, and box I believe is $2500.  Pick 3 straight $600.  It is very confusing to me to read about it and how they configure everything, another reason I don't play them.   Never forget driving home from PICU years ago the tag is front of me was 018--first three of my SSAN.  Told myself to play and didn't and came in.  About 8 years ago and friend called and said to play 911 for mid-day, didn't and of course it came in.

Let's go for the gusto with the big ones...i.e. Mega Millions and Powerball then!

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jul 9, 2017

In KY there are 24 winning combinations with pick 4.     Straight pays $5K, and box I believe is $2500.  Pick 3 straight $600.  It is very confusing to me to read about it and how they configure everything, another reason I don't play them.   Never forget driving home from PICU years ago the tag is front of me was 018--first three of my SSAN.  Told myself to play and didn't and came in.  About 8 years ago and friend called and said to play 911 for mid-day, didn't and of course it came in.

Let's go for the gusto with the big ones...i.e. Mega Millions and Powerball then!

"It is very confusing to me to read about it and how they configure everything, another reason I don't play them."

When I first started playing pick-3 games I could never understand the logic of making a box bet unless you're playing three unordered digits. If I'm betting 0 will be in the first digit position, 1 in the second, and 8 in the third position, I'm betting $1 if 018 is drawn, I'll get 1/6 of $500. This box bet has six ways to win, but only one of the ways is the straight bet.

Another problem with box bets is players get less than 1/6 or 1/3 of the straight bet and in some states it's $80 or $160 compared to $83 and $166 in others. At least the KY Lottery uses the traditional "numbers" payoff of $600 for a straight so their box payoffs are exactly what they should be.

The point I was making is pick-3 straight/box players are making multiple bets on the same straight numbers but not in the same ball park with multiple bets wager where each ticket can be a $100,000 payoff.

The $1 pick-4 box payoffs are also determined by the number of ways the 4 digits in the straight make. If there are four different digits there are 24 ways (1234) and 12 ways when two digits are used with another digit used twice (1123). The dollar box payoffs are $200 or $400. A 6 way box (1122) pays and a 4 way box (1112) payoff is $1200. 

Not many jackpot game players think in terms of multiple bets on the same combo even in games with fixed jackpots and really no reason on MM and PB unless they think there will be multiple winnings.

likeable1

there is a guaranteer limit. if someone post a cash 5 . if the bet on it is  over the guaranteer limit. The machine might automatically not pick it

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story