NJ Lottery winners can now stay anonymous

Jan 22, 2020, 6:30 pm (39 comments)

New Jersey Lottery

Lottery tasked with developing the specifics of how it will work

TRENTON, N.J. — Lottery winners in New Jersey will have the option to remain anonymous under a new law Gov. Phil Murphy signed Tuesday.

The law directs the state lottery commission to set regulations permitting lottery players to keep their identities secret.

It takes effect immediately, but it's unclear how long it would take for the regulations to be written.

New Jersey is joining a growing list of states to permit lottery winners to remain anonymous. Last year, Arizona and Virginia joined at least eight other states allowing the practice.

The New Jersey law's sponsors say the bill is aimed at addressing what they called the "lottery curse."

New Jersey Senate President Steve Sweeney said in a statement that the curse amounts to harassment and threats that can happen after winners' identities become public.

"The winners should have the option of remaining anonymous if they want to stay out of the limelight and away from unwanted attention," Sweeney said.

New Jersey's bill passed the Legislature unanimously. Opponents argue requiring winners' names to be public promotes transparency.

Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, and Texas permit also permit anonymity, and many others have varying procedures and loopholes that lottery winners can exploit to at least partially hide their identities.

Lottery Post actively maintains a description of lottery winner anonymity options by state.

AP, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Yea!!! I will add that to the anonymity update this weekend.

NY10

NJ is one of states where there are lot of jackpot winners...(MM/PB)

This is the first state among those to be granted this

Other most winners are from NY,FL,CA,MI and may be mor wouldn’t mind seeing the stats 

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

2 the day when all lottery states pass such a bill jejejeje

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Jan 22, 2020

2 the day when all lottery states pass such a bill jejejeje

Amen.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Jan 22, 2020

Yea!!! I will add that to the anonymity update this weekend.

Already done!

quicksloth35

Update for Mississippi:

In accordance with the Alyce G. Clarke Mississippi Lottery Law, the Mississippi Lottery will not disclose the identity of the person holding a winning lottery ticket without that person's written permission.

(https://www.mslotteryhome.com/players/faqs/)

BTW, PB and MM sales start in MS one week from tomorrow (Thurs)!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

GOOD FOR YOU N.J. !!!!!!!   

Outstanding job on having a desire to protect your lottery winners.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! Jackpot Winners in NJ can Now Choose to Remain Anonymous! Cheers

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by quicksloth35 on Jan 22, 2020

Update for Mississippi:

In accordance with the Alyce G. Clarke Mississippi Lottery Law, the Mississippi Lottery will not disclose the identity of the person holding a winning lottery ticket without that person's written permission.

Be aware of beginner's luck!!  If Mississippi scores a huge jackpot than the media will be all over the winner or winners.

good luck to all LP Members!!

Myohtetaung

I'm just trying to lottery from Myanmar and I don't know how to do this check numbers

Stack47

New Jersey's bill passed the Legislature unanimously. Opponents argue requiring winners' names to be public promotes transparency.

And the Legislature agreed 100. Good for NJ!

HappyDreamer's avatarHappyDreamer

A victory for the players and their families to enjoy their winning!!!

str8ca$hhomie's avatarstr8ca$hhomie

May the GAMES begin !

welington

Great news .Waaay to go New Jersey to protect your lottery winners.

New York the lottery got them going thru hoops to file LLC to remain anonymous.

noise-gate

Let's hope the Californian Lottery is paying attention, because l believe that tsunami would be welcomed here. NJ stuck a fork in it, good for them.

Cheers

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 22, 2020

Already done!

Todd, we'll never know when you finally hit the big one!

We'll be playing there on the Borgata trip in March and plan to stay anonymous with the big win.

BTW Todd, how does reciprocation work?   I mean if I were to win in your state, KY would want their hand in the till.  I know members commented on this before but don't remember what was said.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jan 23, 2020

Todd, we'll never know when you finally hit the big one!

We'll be playing there on the Borgata trip in March and plan to stay anonymous with the big win.

BTW Todd, how does reciprocation work?   I mean if I were to win in your state, KY would want their hand in the till.  I know members commented on this before but don't remember what was said.

Your net state tax burden would be the higher of the two state tax rates, which is most certainly NJ.  So you would pay your state tax bill to NJ, and then KY would give you credit for the whole thing, meaning you wouldn't owe anything additional.  (You'd be filing state tax forms in two states, but only paying taxes to one.)

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 23, 2020

Your net state tax burden would be the higher of the two state tax rates, which is most certainly NJ.  So you would pay your state tax bill to NJ, and then KY would give you credit for the whole thing, meaning you wouldn't owe anything additional.  (You'd be filing state tax forms in two states, but only paying taxes to one.)

Thank you Todd and this time I won't forget.   Just like where I retired from right on the IN border in KY, they reciprocated taxes the same way for those coming from Indiana to work in Kentucky.

NY10

Just curious 

How rich is the owner of this website Todd Northrop 😂

In other words what is the market cap of this company 

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by NY10 on Jan 22, 2020

NJ is one of states where there are lot of jackpot winners...(MM/PB)

This is the first state among those to be granted this

Other most winners are from NY,FL,CA,MI and may be mor wouldn’t mind seeing the stats 

i know. they always always have it seem alot of happy $$$ lottery winners its nice though to see as my Cali,

and here in NC had a few several too big winner's.

I would give my location, city, and county and age range, etc,

Cheers let others feel happy to know at least the city and county,ya know, and or my initials too."

I think of Abraham(may he continue R.I.P., )

Frownwho was killed for his blessing of riches, good fortune, when i think only if he was able

to have stayed anonymous. May he continue rip and others."

I am sure many there in NJ will benefit having such legal right now to remain anonymous.

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jan 23, 2020

Let's hope the Californian Lottery is paying attention, because l believe that tsunami would be welcomed here. NJ stuck a fork in it, good for them.

Cheers

IKR!(I know right)LOL ha ha. but yea, i hope so, but not yet for my home-state in cali.I am thinking feasibly soon though.(many want it)and are really trying but not yet." ICAM...Good for New Jersey.

paymentplan-man

I don't like this. I want to let the whole wide WORLD know that I won $4.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by paymentplan-man on Jan 23, 2020

That's easy enough.

Just post your name, address, and amount you won on Lottery Post.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"New York the lottery got them going thru hoops to file LLC to remain anonymous."

Oh, the horror!

NY offers expedited services for creating an LLC, so you can theoretically have the LLC finished about 2 hours after the secretary of state's office opens, then waltz across the street to the lottery office. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration because the offices are a bit farther apart, and you'll need to drive about 30 minutes from Albany to Schenectady. Let's allow some extra time and figure you'll get to lottery's customer service counter at 1PM, as opposed to being there when they open at 8:30. Let's be even more generous and allow a whole day to talk with a lawyer and let them do a decent job of getting your LLC done right before getting to the lottery office at 9AM. That adds just 24 hours plus a few hundred bucks over showing up bright and early the first morning after you win.

Of course there are good reasons besides anonymity to claim as a trust or LLC, so most sensible winners take a lot longer to get their ducks in a row before claiming. YMMV, but the tiny bother of creating an LLC doesn't seem like even a minor hiccup to me.

paymentplan-man

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Jan 23, 2020

That's easy enough.

Just post your name, address, and amount you won on Lottery Post.

So you're telling me that the whole world comes here to Lottery Post to see the names of people who win $4.......I swear to baby Yoda that I never knew that. Bang Head

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by paymentplan-man on Jan 24, 2020

So you're telling me that the whole world comes here to Lottery Post to see the names of people who win $4.......I swear to baby Yoda that I never knew that. Bang Head

Well, there are over 203,000 members here, plus however many that read LP without ever becoming a member. So, no, not the whole world, but, more than enough people who follow the lotteries.

I guess you would have to find other ways on the internet to let the world in on your secret. Hyper

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Glad it's an elective and not mandated for anonymity. 

More money though in the pocket of the lottery hq. 

Folks will just assume someone claimed it. And we all know what assume means.

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

Boy this is great.

Hope this gets to MN, soon.

By the way, any promises I made on this site and/or any site in cyberspace, or to any person and/or persons, relating to any lottery win and/or wins, are hereby rescinded, nullified and effectively made void in perpetuity throughout time and space, the virtual and real world, and of this Universe and any Multiverse.

Good Luck

music*'s avatarmusic*

Cassie8620,  There have been some major winners here in California who have remained outside the media frenzy. Ask for the same treatment and you may be pleasantly surprised.

May Abraham Lee Shakespeare RIP. His story shows us that as new millionaires we must spend some on professionals. Dee Dee Moore is still in prison. 

Even taking advice from family and friends may end up as mistakes.

Do you remember the case of the Lottery winner who turned into a bank robber?  He comes up for parole in February 2020.  He said that he may write a memoir.

konane's avatarkonane

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on Jan 24, 2020

Boy this is great.

Hope this gets to MN, soon.

By the way, any promises I made on this site and/or any site in cyberspace, or to any person and/or persons, relating to any lottery win and/or wins, are hereby rescinded, nullified and effectively made void in perpetuity throughout time and space, the virtual and real world, and of this Universe and any Multiverse.

Good Luck

Congratulations to lottery players of New Jersey! Great move for you all. 

@JADELottery   Love your promises nullification sentence. Ditto for me too.

Quote: Originally posted by paymentplan-man on Jan 23, 2020

Now, that's a riot.

Good 1, Payment Plan-Man.LOL   

lol

scentcrazy

I am beyond thrilled! So glad this passed.

db101's avatardb101

I think Iowa will be among the last to grant anonymity or claims via trusts or LLCs. They attribute Tipton's exposing to their non-anonymous lottery claims law.

I am all in favor of shielding winners' names from the general public. Way too many scammers and craziesboit there.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by db101 on Jan 25, 2020

I think Iowa will be among the last to grant anonymity or claims via trusts or LLCs. They attribute Tipton's exposing to their non-anonymous lottery claims law.

I am all in favor of shielding winners' names from the general public. Way too many scammers and craziesboit there.

well thars a rhyme and reason for a lot of things, but keep the faith 

I'm still surprised that VA became an anonymous state jejeje

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by db101 on Jan 25, 2020

I Agree! Criminals ruin life for the rest of us. Tipton's selfishness lead him to crime.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by quicksloth35 on Jan 22, 2020

Update for Mississippi:

Mississippians are happy that MM rolled last night. Now they are doing the same with PB tonight. They are starting off with anonymity for the winner. Good Luck everybody!!

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

Good to know

Stack47

IMO, lottery players should get the choice not to have their identities revealed to the public, but state lotteries are public institutions and many states have freedom of information acts and/or full disclosure of how public funds are distributed. It's a fine line and hopefully ways to satisfy both sides will be found in every state.

occasion's avataroccasion

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jan 23, 2020

Cheers

I know, I hope so too! Yes Nod

As Californians, though, we should all call/write to our state representatives and let them know we want something similar.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story