Michigan man wins $4 million for the second time within three years

Jun 23, 2020, 1:42 pm (30 comments)

Michigan Lottery

He might be the luckiest lottery player in Michigan right now

By Kate Northrop

SOUTH ROCKWOOD, Mich. — A Michigan resident might be the luckiest lottery player in the state right now after he won a $4 million prize from a scratch-off ticket not once, but twice in three years.

Winning one $4 million prize from an instant game in 2017 did not deter Mark Clark, 50, from playing the lottery going forward. Luckily for him, it was the right choice — he ended up winning a second $4 million prize just three years later.

In 2017, Clark purchased a ticket for the lottery's Millionaire's Club instant game while delivering fuel. After winning his first prize, he left his job and devoted much of his time to fishing with his father, who passed away from health complications about a year ago.

Clark doesn't plan on spending his new winnings any differently than before.

"My dad and I always used to fish together and have great memories of that, so this will help me keep fishing and enjoying my time with my son and family," he said in a statement released by the Michigan Lottery.

In the press release, Clark said he found it difficult to put what he was feeling into words after winning a second time, but he was ready to credit his most recent win to the lucky coin his late father gave to him.

"I scratched the ticket off in the store with a coin my dad gave me about 10 years ago," he said. "I can't help but think maybe that lucky coin helped me win this."

Clark won his most recent $4 million prize playing the $150,000,000 Payout scratch-off game, which launched in February 2018 and offers prizes ranging from $30 to $4 million. He bought the winning ticket at the Ash Market on Telegraph Road in Carleton, Michigan.

The lucky player visited Lottery headquarters in Lansing to claim his winnings. After taxes, he took home a lump sum payment of about $2.5 million, which is also how he claimed his previous winnings.

"You don't think you'll win millions once, and you definitely never think it would happen twice," he said. "I've had a lot of ups and downs in my life, but everything is pretty amazing right now."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats Mark, enjoy that fishing. 

noise-gate

It's as l said before" You've got to be Big, you've got to be wide & have a cherubic face."

That right there is the " winning formula." Banana

Unlucky-Kenny's avatarUnlucky-Kenny

Wow

Lucky Guy

I wish I knew what that was like

LOL

I wonder how many tickets he bought after the 1st win to get the 2nd win?

Congrats to the winner!

music*'s avatarmusic*

Congratulations to fifty year old Mark Clark!  He is set for life. 

There was a U.S. General in the Army during World War 2.  He was in the European Theater.  His name was also Mark Clark. 

$2.5 million twice looks sweet! Keep on playing Mr. Clark!!Party

music*'s avatarmusic*

Unlucky-Kenny, Is that money raining down from the shower head? Greenbacks. 

TYJ*ALL-DAY!'s avatarTYJ*ALL-DAY!

Enjoy those millions!!! T.Y.J.

Bleudog101

Almost spit out hot pasta reading this and the Eff bomb was on my tongue---in a good way.

That's my middle name, Mark....maybe I'll hit the mark and win too.

Thanks Todd for a great feel good story; I think his Dad was looking out for him...don't lose that coin!

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jun 23, 2020

Unlucky-Kenny, Is that money raining down from the shower head? Greenbacks. 

Yes -

The Greenbacks raining is nice, the coins hurt though.

Cool

CB$CJ

Congratulations 🎉🎉 but just like I figured never in Detroit that's how I know the lottery rigged it's never in a poor area you have to ride 3 hours away just to have a chance,they know what area they sending those tickets to

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jun 23, 2020

Almost spit out hot pasta reading this and the Eff bomb was on my tongue---in a good way.

That's my middle name, Mark....maybe I'll hit the mark and win too.

Thanks Todd for a great feel good story; I think his Dad was looking out for him...don't lose that coin!

Bleudog101, please notice the by line. Kate Northrop posted it.

music*'s avatarmusic*

Quote: Originally posted by Unlucky-Kenny on Jun 23, 2020

Yes -

Cool

Make it rain with Benjamin's Party

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by music* on Jun 23, 2020

Bleudog101, please notice the by line. Kate Northrop posted it.

My apologies to Kate Northrop; rarely look @ the by line.

noise-gate

5 things you need to know about the SeychellesAs a Preacher once said, " Keep Hope Alive."

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jun 24, 2020

5 things you need to know about the SeychellesAs a Preacher once said, " Keep Hope Alive."

Looks wonderful - as long as its not too humid I am in -

The only humidity I approve of is in a humidor.

Thumbs Up

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by CB$CJ on Jun 23, 2020

Congratulations 🎉🎉 but just like I figured never in Detroit that's how I know the lottery rigged it's never in a poor area you have to ride 3 hours away just to have a chance,they know what area they sending those tickets to

There was also that story awhile back about the guy Who bought two $1 million dollar scratch winners from the Same Store in Dexter a couple years apart.

Even lots of small towns get those $4 million winners...Adrian got one...Gaylord got one...West Branch (if I remember) got one.

When I have been asked for a good strategy on scratchers I tell people that they are pre printed and to go to the store where they shipped the big winner otherwise you have no chance of winning.

Bleudog101

Quote: Originally posted by Think on Jun 24, 2020

There was also that story awhile back about the guy Who bought two $1 million dollar scratch winners from the Same Store in Dexter a couple years apart.

Even lots of small towns get those $4 million winners...Adrian got one...Gaylord got one...West Branch (if I remember) got one.

When I have been asked for a good strategy on scratchers I tell people that they are pre printed and to go to the store where they shipped the big winner otherwise you have no chance of winning.

Don't quote me on the company, it was either IGT or Scientific Games.   Several years ago here (KY) they had a news story and showed the tickets being printed @ lightning speed, shrink wrapped in a plant in Georgia.   Then shipped to KLC for distribution.   Can remember the plant folks saying they have no way of knowing which tickets are winners, nor do they know where any of them go to.  KLC said they have no way of knowing where winning tickets are shipped either.   All purely by chance.

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by Bleudog101 on Jun 24, 2020

Don't quote me on the company, it was either IGT or Scientific Games.   Several years ago here (KY) they had a news story and showed the tickets being printed @ lightning speed, shrink wrapped in a plant in Georgia.   Then shipped to KLC for distribution.   Can remember the plant folks saying they have no way of knowing which tickets are winners, nor do they know where any of them go to.  KLC said they have no way of knowing where winning tickets are shipped either.   All purely by chance.

I see you joined in 2015 so you are probably not aware of the LP story awhile back about Lottery Security in Indiana tipping off someone about where a big winning ticket was sent and how that person went to that store and bought out the whole pack and won.  They got caught of course or we would not have heard about it on here.

SaraAnnRapp's avatarSaraAnnRapp

Quote: Originally posted by Unlucky-Kenny on Jun 23, 2020

Yes -

Cool

No pain no gain, Kenny. Smash ROFL

Instyle's avatarInstyle

you are absolutely right. I can't rem if it was the 2015 story or another similar story, but  At that time whichever company is responsible for sending out the tickets they know which batch has a large winning ticket and where it's going.  Which is one reason I do not play scratch off.  Hopefully I can locate the actual story and share .

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Unlucky-Kenny on Jun 24, 2020

Looks wonderful - as long as its not too humid I am in -

The only humidity I approve of is in a humidor.

Thumbs Up

.. too humid? Where is your sense of adventure Kenny? You not all sweaty in the middle of the Colombian Jungle, plus that's what the ocean is for.

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jul 11, 2020

.. too humid? Where is your sense of adventure Kenny? You not all sweaty in the middle of the Colombian Jungle, plus that's what the ocean is for.

I've been to the jungle before - we got hunted by an alien - almost Predator like -

Don't want to go back.

I live a peaceful life now - 

Got into body building.

Naughty

eddessaknight's avatareddessaknight

Quote: Originally posted by Unlucky-Kenny on Jul 11, 2020

I've been to the jungle before - we got hunted by an alien - almost Predator like -

Don't want to go back.

Got into body building.

Naughty

Lightning certainly can strike twice. | Mario kart, Life lessons, Play to learn

NEVER SAY NEVER (let us count the ways)

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Unlucky-Kenny on Jul 11, 2020

Don't want to go back.

Got into body building.

Naughty

Right Kenny, but the point was the humidity, and even Arnold had to take a mud bath to get the better of this guy...

comic con cosplay GIF

Quote: Originally posted by eddessaknight on Jul 11, 2020

Lightning certainly can strike twice. | Mario kart, Life lessons, Play to learn

NEVER SAY NEVER (let us count the ways)

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Thumbs Up

never say never!

I just hope to hit the big jackpot one day - I'll stay away from the jungle best I can.

Jester Laugh

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Jul 11, 2020

Right Kenny, but the point was the humidity, and even Arnold had to take a mud bath to get the better of this guy...

comic con cosplay GIF

Haha

No more mud for kenny, only jackpots now.

Big Grin Angel

Locdk55

Congratulations  Mark Clark, yes it sounds like your the luckiest lottery player in Michigan. Sorry to hear of your father's pasting. Hopefully the winnings make your life a happy one, you are for sure blessed. Maybe someday I will get blessed and as lucky like you! Enjoy Big Smile

darthfury78

Quote: Originally posted by Locdk55 on Aug 5, 2020

Congratulations  Mark Clark, yes it sounds like your the luckiest lottery player in Michigan. Sorry to hear of your father's pasting. Hopefully the winnings make your life a happy one, you are for sure blessed. Maybe someday I will get blessed and as lucky like you! Enjoy Big Smile

Mark Clark should have taken the annuity payment installment option. This would have given him a $250K a year...

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by CB$CJ on Jun 23, 2020

yep.

I know my dad say, each time, "Cassie, you're doing better winning multiple x(on 1 p4 number)so keep it up! 

Better odds, Cassie, for you, and he is right imo on that lol on Pick 4 that is. I do well,per year, but yea,

CB $ CJ

Daddy always say, "Cassie, oh, the P-BALL or the mega $ millions is tonight, good. DON'T play ...

rigged.

-Poor to very low income areas (urban) and or rural RARELY win, per drawing and no need for "1"singular man or woman to win hundreds of MILLIONS of $$$ 

-When it's well over 100 million to 1 BILLION why not let (meaning the state) let a bunch win i.e.,

"dozens PER state win(when it's so high $$$)

Cheersa million per person,

or even 4 numbers with PB or with Mega Ball, then ALL are able to smile, live better!

So,

I agree, the MORE i thought about it, i really understand now, as i am older, upper 30s, i understand what DAD mean.

I think he is right, but still CONGRATS to those who win.

Cassie8620's avatarCassie8620

Quote: Originally posted by darthfury78 on Aug 8, 2020

Mark Clark should have taken the annuity payment installment option. This would have given him a $250K a year...

I am glad he did not.

The man is not on "old man yet" that is a senior citizen over late 60s or so etc., but he is currently

a middle age man, 50, and prior win 39 or early 40s, so middle age,

he is middle age, so i can see why he said, NO.I would have too! Heck, i would even if i am 18 or 25 years old.

I DON'T TRUST GOV'T at all, really.

So,

I would get LUMP SUM, also predicated upon,

i am one who just DON'T trust our messed up gov't lately, period. So, this way i will have it ALL to myself, to invest, give homeless some RIGHT away,

help em get out of poverty + off the streets, and invest the rest, for myself,daughters etc., Yes Nodand that's it.

I would feel better more secure, having it all to me, without fretting over  IF something goes wrong with gov't now a days,

Smiley my money shall be in my own possession, investments etc.al., 

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Cassie8620 on Aug 8, 2020

yep.

I know my dad say, each time, "Cassie, you're doing better winning multiple x(on 1 p4 number)so keep it up! 

Better odds, Cassie, for you, and he is right imo on that lol on Pick 4 that is. I do well,per year, but yea,

CB $ CJ

Daddy always say, "Cassie, oh, the P-BALL or the mega $ millions is tonight, good. DON'T play ...

rigged.

-Poor to very low income areas (urban) and or rural RARELY win, per drawing and no need for "1"singular man or woman to win hundreds of MILLIONS of $$$ 

-When it's well over 100 million to 1 BILLION why not let (meaning the state) let a bunch win i.e.,

"dozens PER state win(when it's so high $$$)

Cheersa million per person,

or even 4 numbers with PB or with Mega Ball, then ALL are able to smile, live better!

So,

I agree, the MORE i thought about it, i really understand now, as i am older, upper 30s, i understand what DAD mean.

I think he is right, but still CONGRATS to those who win.

Cassie: No disrespect, but has your Father ever been wrong on giving advice to you?

You know the usual stuff: Cassie, don't date Mike, he looks like he loves beating women or Cassie: l think you should take the bus & not Uber. Cassie, those shoes look awful on you despite what Sally says.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story