California woman chooses wrong lottery ticket because of "rude" person, wins $10 million

Apr 7, 2022, 12:20 pm (15 comments)

California Lottery

Woman is millions richer thanks to a stranger's bad manners

By Kate Northrop

TARZANA, Calif. — A "rude" person at a grocery store inadvertently helped a California woman win $10 million in the lottery after their bad manners caused her to select the wrong ticket.

There have been countless stories of people being persuaded to buy a different lottery ticket — and winning — but one player was literally pushed into purchasing a ticket she had no intention of buying and won a huge prize as a result.

In November 2021, LaQuedra Edwards funneled $40 into a scratch-off vending machine at the Vons Supermarket on Ventura Boulevard in Tarzana and was about to select her usual tickets when "some rude person" impolitely bumped into her on their way out the building, forcing her to choose one she didn't want.

"He just bumped into me, didn't say a thing and just walked out the door," Edwards told the California Lottery.

The impact had caused her to accidentally push the wrong button, and out came a $30 "200X" scratch-off ticket that she didn't intend to buy.

She recalled being irritated because it had forced her to spend 75% of her lottery spending money on one single ticket when she was looking to buy her usual selection of cheaper favorites.

Regardless of the situation, she had a ticket to scratch off, so she went back to her car and got to work.

It didn't take long to realize that little shove indirectly helped her win the game's top prize of $10 million.

"I didn't really believe it at first, but I got on the 405 freeway and kept looking down [at the ticket], and I almost crashed my car," Edwards quipped. "I pulled over, looked at it again and again, scanned it with my [California Lottery mobile] app, and I just kept thinking, 'this can't be right.'"

What had previously been an upsetting experience was suddenly not so bad after all.

"I'm still in shock," the winner admitted. "All I remember saying once I found out how much I just won was, 'I'm rich!'"

The Vons Supermarket that Edwards "accidentally" won her fortune received a $50,000 bonus commission from the Lottery for selling the winning ticket.

The lucky winner said she is planning on using her winnings to buy a house and start a non-profit organization.

Currently, there is just one top prize of $10 million left to claim in the $30 "200X" scratch-off game out of the six available at the game's launch. There are also three out of 12 second-tier prizes of $750,000 and 12 out of 60 third-tier prizes of $50,000 remaining.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

"When you get a mistake...The mistake you must TAKE!" Congrats to the winner! Blue Angel

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Party Congrats to the Winner! Party

Divine Intervention: Bumped by an Angel!

Ranett's avatarRanett

The lottery gods were smiling down on her that day.Blue Angel

MsBee18

Maybe it was Lady Luck who bumped into her. Congratulations!!

Speler

That reminds me the words I heard: "Do you want me to push you for good luck?".

Some simply do that, your hand is over a button, they push your hand down.

Similar exists in billiards. Someone ticks or pushes against your cue end. Foul! ...

Tony Numbers's avatarTony Numbers

Sounds like a made up story, I want to review the video surveillance!

cottoneyedjoe's avatarcottoneyedjoe

Quote: Originally posted by Tony Numbers on Apr 7, 2022

Sounds like a made up story, I want to review the video surveillance!

From what I understand, the CA lottery does review store security camera footage for large prize claims. I suppose they know by now if the story is fiction. Doesn't really change anything, does it?

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

That's a push in the right direction ! :)

Had this scenario happen ...

Tossed in 20$, up comes little Johnny banging at the machine. His dear unattentive mom is throwing her groceries in her cart. I look down at this intruder. He is just slamming away at the buttons. 

I was absolutely livid. The mom looks over...yells for little Johnny to stop bothering the old lady! 

I was so ired. No winning tickets from that kids underage and not welcomed pounding. Yeah I get it that kids are just so inquisitive...

Mata Garbo

What a wonderful story. Sometimes the angels smile down on us in ways that we do not recognize at the time. Congrats to Ms. Edwards.....may she spend it wisely.

US Flag

winterhug

I often wonder why some states offer a 10M or 20M top prize on a $30 scratch off when other states only offer 1M or 2M for their top prize on a $30 ticket. In Texas their $50 scratch offs only offer up to 5M.

I heard once where some state was going to offer a $100 scratch off. What would that top prize be, 10M?

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by winterhug on Apr 8, 2022

I often wonder why some states offer a 10M or 20M top prize on a $30 scratch off when other states only offer 1M or 2M for their top prize on a $30 ticket. In Texas their $50 scratch offs only offer up to 5M.

I heard once where some state was going to offer a $100 scratch off. What would that top prize be, 10M?

Very true. I've never been impressed with Tx scratch offs. I rarely play them, though I did drop $5 on a "Trucks and Bucks" ticket the other day. Loser. First scratch ticket I played in months. Likely the last one I'll play for a long time. 

rearea1930

i would count the win as a blessing nudge  bump

kao1632

Quote: Originally posted by winterhug on Apr 8, 2022

What they usually offer is a lower top prize value, but more of them.. Instead of 1x $10m they might offer 2x$5m (or 5x$2m, or 10x $1m). Sometimes they offer better payouts at lower levels... but punters aren't really interested in better second-nth prizes. They want the big one. And it is the value/ probability of winning the top prize that attracts people to the ticket.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I like this story.  At least it is original.  People do push around the lottery machines that are typically near an entrance.

goldfish777

Wow. I've been to that EXACT store when I lived there. Congratulations to her. I remember being at a grocery store vending machine and I put my money in and a man was trying to make conversation asking me which scratcher I was going to play and as he was pointing he accidentally pressed the button. It was MY money but we laughed and he put another $10 in the machine to reimburse me. He was embarrassed and walked away. I don't know if he won off that ticket or not. Lol

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story