VIDEO: Lottery winners who are changing the world

Jul 29, 2022, 4:26 pm (12 comments)

Video

A breath of fresh air and some good news for a change!

By Kate Northrop

MARTINSVILLE, N.J. — Today, Lottery Post published a video about a group of people who just might hold the crown for the most generous lottery winners ever.

It's been a while since the last time we've followed up on a winner in greater detail than most — such as Jack Whittaker and David Lee Edwards. In the lottery world, it's unfortunately very easy to pull up a story about winners who don't manage their winnings well or end up going broke.

However, there are still plenty of lottery winners who have set themselves up for success and are continuing to do well to this day, as well as those who have left a positive impact on others.

We made it our mission to find one such winner to highlight, and we ended up picking something better — an entire family of lottery winners who scooped up a $429.6 million Powerball jackpot in 2016.

WATCH: Lottery winners who are changing the world

In a time where good news is scarce, the Smith Family comes as a breath of fresh air and is proof that altruism exists in its most genuine form.

From feeding the hungry to supporting youth groups to creating education opportunities overseas, the Smith Family is perhaps the most prime example of winners who have maximized a lottery prize to give back to those in need.

We can only cover so much of their good deeds in one video, but to see how the Smith's have fared since their huge win in 2016, you can visit Lottery Post's official YouTube channel. If you have anything to add that we were not able to cover in the video, feel free to leave a comment under the video, or suggest a topic you think we should cover next.

If you loved hearing about these lottery winners as much as we enjoyed reporting about them, please give the video a like!

News story photo

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Bleudog101

Smith Family Foundation...what an outstanding group.  They've done so much good and Kate said to look up all the good they've done so the video wouldn't be TOO LONG or words to that effect.

Glad there are good people in the world and someone gave them good advice on this already charitable family. 

Chalk about another great video from Kate.

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

Nice video. Thanks Kate!

ekem6078's avatarekem6078

God Be The Glory. Thank you Smith Family for making a difference. Great to know there's still some good people in this world that does good for those less fortunate than themselves.  May God continue to Bless you and your family.     God gave it for this purpose, and you are disturbing it. Praise God. 

May God continue to Bless you and your family. 

Mata Garbo

Kate, as usual your videos always exceed expectations. This one was amazing. They really valued the true meaning to the term "giving back."I hope somewhere in Great Britain, the "Lotto Lout" Michael Carroll sees this.

CoffeeUS Flag

Dd2160's avatarDd2160

God's  timing is the best.

BevsPicks's avatarBevsPicks

That was truly a breath of fresh air! In these times it's difficult to find anything a little bit positive. That was an abundance of positivity. The family is smart and knowledgeable. We should all follow their lead whether or not we win a million dollars. We all have something to give. You receive by giving. Even if it's nothing more than just your time to help someone else. Thank you so much for this Todd. As per usual you have outdone yourself :-)

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!

There are more people who win the lottery and go on to lead quite and successful lives than reported.

Everyone does NOT end up broke, dead or regretful, thus I truly appreciate this story.

I hope you will do more stories like this in the future!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by BevsPicks on Jul 29, 2022

That was truly a breath of fresh air! In these times it's difficult to find anything a little bit positive. That was an abundance of positivity. The family is smart and knowledgeable. We should all follow their lead whether or not we win a million dollars. We all have something to give. You receive by giving. Even if it's nothing more than just your time to help someone else. Thank you so much for this Todd. As per usual you have outdone yourself :-)

I'm so happy to have been able to build a community where these kinds of stories can be told, but it is really Kate we should thank for this and our other videos.  They are a lot of work to put together, and she does everything — research, scripting, shooting, editing, graphics, sound.  She even built the studio.  I'm amazed and I enjoy watching them just as much as you all do.

redaxe's avatarredaxe

Thanks Kate!     Thumbs Up      Excellent Editing (which can be tricky)

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by redaxe on Jul 29, 2022

Thanks Kate!     Thumbs Up      Excellent Editing (which can be tricky)

I Agree! Nice job Kate and nice family.

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jul 29, 2022

I'm so happy to have been able to build a community where these kinds of stories can be told, but it is really Kate we should thank for this and our other videos.  They are a lot of work to put together, and she does everything — research, scripting, shooting, editing, graphics, sound.  She even built the studio.  I'm amazed and I enjoy watching them just as much as you all do.

She is a very talented young lady. Her videos are great. Even enjoyed her "bloopers vid"!

Kola's avatarKola

That a was beautiful segment! This supernova of a family is very inspiring, and the way they've gone about it is very instructive. I would never have known... Thank you Kate!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story