200 stolen tickets produce $11 in prizes and an arrest

Mar 31, 2004, 4:48 am (15 comments)

Louisiana Lottery

Carlisha Johnson didn't have much luck with more than $200 worth of lottery scratch-off tickets: She collected only eleven-dollars.

From there, her luck went straight downhill after she was arrested last week for allegedly stealing the tickets from the Mandeville-area convenience store where she worked.

Johnson is accused of swiping 216 lottery tickets from the store and scratching them off in full view of a surveillance camera.

James Hartman, a spokesman for the Saint Tammany Parish sheriff, says just two of the tickets were winners, and they were cashed at the store for a total of eleven dollars.

Hartman says a store manager later confronted Johnson and offered to let her make restitution, but she denied the theft.  The manager then contacted police.  Johnson has been booked with felony theft.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Flame

I can't help but laugh at this

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

How sad.... I guess she needed the money. WOW charged with felony theft for only $11. I think way too harsh. I would just ask her to repay the $200.

Todd's avatarTodd

JackpotWanna:

If you read the last paragraph, the lady was offered the chance to pay back the money, and she refused.  It's like a mini Martha Stewart case.  She gets what she deserves.

MrBlay

besides the point of she did, anyone find it funny how over 200 games and only $11 dollars in winning, what is up with that, i think scratch tickets are riggied.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I wonder if those scratch-off tickets has 1:100 odds printed on the back?  The ones I've seen have 1:5 odds printed on the back.  Carlisha probably thought she was going to win more than she stole, she would have been a loser even if she paid.  Now she's a loser and a criminal.

RJOh

Todd's avatarTodd

Scratch games have the worst overall odds, which is why they are the lottery's biggest money-maker.

BobP's avatarBobP

I imagine she planned to pa

whodeani's avatarwhodeani

The moral of the story; DON'T BUY SCRATCH-OFFS! If you feel the need to spend a $1 on something, spend it on a 5/31 or a 5/36 lottery if your state has one. The odds are better and there is the potential to win a much bigger prize and you have control over what numbers are to be played. Scratch-offs are all dumb luck and to win anything really significant you have to spend anywhere from $3-$10 on those tickets. Total rip-off.

richgal57's avatarrichgal57

What a naughty woman! She n

st.germain's avatarst.germain

excuse me but i can't believe how stupid and dumb that that was.that person deserves whatever heor she deserves.

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

I think many convenience store clerks lose self-control from being around the lottery tickets every day. 

Jake649's avatarJake649
Quote: Originally posted by MrBlay on March 31, 2004

besides the point of she did, anyone find it funny how over 200 games and only $11 dollars in winning, what is up with that, i think scratch tickets are riggied.

She allegedly stole $200 worth of tickets, not 200 tickets.

Good luck,
Jake

CASH Only

$11 return on $200?

hypersoniq's avatarhypersoniq
Quote: Originally posted by CASH Only on April 03, 2004

$11 return on $200?

Makes you wonder who is committing the bigger crime...
CASH Only

NY and Mass should be investigated for forcing scratch game "winners" to receive annuities...

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story