Welcome Guest
The time is now 12:26 am
You last visited October 26, 2014, 12:21 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming prize using a LLC

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
577 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2005, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if there are any advantages for an individual were to claim a lottery prize using a LLC.  I understand the advantages of a group doing it, but an individual, I wonder.

I've looked at the press releases and lists of winners on the Louisiana Lottery Website and found alot of people claim them using an LLC.  In Louisana, the Secretary of State has a searchable database of all LLCs so if someone wanted to maintain privacy that way, it might not be possible.  I found through this search and a whitepages.com search, that the member even used his actual home address when he incorporated.

Can anyone think of any advantages of using a LLC to claim a big prize?

PrisonerSix 

United States
    Member #5453
    July 5, 2004
    135 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2005, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

most people do not  bother to search ......for a company 

Baton Rouge, LA
      United States
      Member #4602
      May 7, 2004
      577 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2005, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Most, but there are some who will.  When word gets out someone has won that much money, there are people who will try to track them down.  That's why I would want to make it difficult for anyone to find out who I was if I did win a jackpot. 

Finding the information would be fairly easy even to someone with limited Internet skills.  I'd like to try and keep from being found if at all possible.  Setting up an LLC using your real name and address isn't a good way to do it in my opinion.

PrisonerSix 

United States
        Member #336
        June 15, 2001
        26 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2005, 1:13 am - IP Logged

I believe that some people setup a Trust to keep privacy; I have seen a couple of them.

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2005, 8:05 am - IP Logged

I'd imagine there are a lot of people who prey on lottery winners.... or would like to do so if they could locate them.

People who were born into wealth, or who gradually accumulate it, probably develop a lot of of automatic wiggling of the antennae about what's going on around them they aren't even conscious of.  Probably most of us haven't needed to listen to those particular messages.  Sort of the way a rube arriving in NYC in the middle of the night could get himself spang into a lot of difficulties quickly doing things a ten-year-old city dweller knows better than to do.

I've always shuddered when I see the announcements about people winning prizes, those folks having their pictures and names splattered all over the screens and newspapers.  Can't help wondering if they did any pre-thinking about what they'd do if they captured a jackpot.

Or maybe they just have some things to learn about what it takes to lure the jackals out of the shadows.

I'd say a trust, a foundation, an LLC, anything that can be done to keep from picking up a lot of dung on the soles of your shoes is probably worth the price of admission.  Nothing will filter all of them, but it will filter some, maybe the one you really needed to filter.

Jack

United States
            Member #5453
            July 5, 2004
            135 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2005, 8:51 am - IP Logged

using a lawyer to claim your prize is a good way to protect your id

lawyer-- client  .thing (can't remember what it called)

but your life will change and people around you will notice the different

and the word spreads like wild fire.

best ideas before announcing or claim your power, mega , or million dollar check

1 , relocate

2 security, (bodyguards, home security , dogs , cameras. bullet proof car(if needed), and a good lawyer)

3 change all your contact information (include internet user name , pictures or any material about yourself online, make sure your phone numbers are all private numbers , cancel the old ones

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2005, 10:53 am - IP Logged

best ideas before announcing or claim your power, mega , or million dollar check

1 , relocate

2 security, (bodyguards, home security , dogs , cameras. bullet proof car(if needed), and a good lawyer)

3 change all your contact information (include internet user name , pictures or any material about yourself online, make sure your phone numbers are all private numbers , cancel the old ones

IFY911:

Interesting perspective.

1 , relocate

Seems a bit on the heavy side to allow fear to herd a person away from a place he wants to be, assuming he's living there because he wants to.

Bodyguards:  I wonder what sort of folks hire themselves out as bodyguards.  I'd guess they're probably a cleaned up version of the guys who hire themselves out as bouncers in the alcohol/nightlife businesses.  It's a bit difficult for me to think having one close by would represent an improvement in my life, no matter how much money I had.  I used to hang around with a lot of brunos, various times in my life, but I'm sort of happy to have them out of it, even though some were good friends and had to get dead to extract themselves.  Life's a bit easier, more relaxed without having them around.

Dogs:  We're not talking old Fido, here.  We're talking Kujo.  Not my cup of tea.

Bullet proof car:  I was driving through Bernalillo a while back and noticed an old armored truck for sale.  Thought to myself, now that wouldn't attract any attention, driving it around.  Surely would like to have one of those babies.

But I do agree home security, probably cameras and a good lawyer/accountant who can cook good Thai and empty the litter boxes would be an asset, a wise move.

Jack