Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:36 pm
You last visited October 30, 2014, 7:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MegaMillions Annuity Payout Schedule

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by danisiri.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
Member #13684
April 11, 2005
77 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2005, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know the annuity payout schedule for MegaMillions?  For example, if the JP is $26 million, does the annuity pay $1 million gross for 26 years, or is it a graduated scale (e.g., 2.5% of the JP the first year and increasing to 5.1% in the 26th year)?  The USA Mega site seems to indicate that MegaMillions pays the same amount for 26 years.  CA SuperLotto Plus pays the annuity on the graduated scale.

I am a lump sum player myself, but I am just curious about this.

United States
    Member #13684
    April 11, 2005
    77 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2005, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Also, how is the lump sum percentage determined?  The best answer I could find was that it depends on the amount of money needed to be invested in zero-coupon US Treasury securities to equal the announced jackpot amount once the securities mature.  How does the USA Mega site do its jackpot analysis to provide an estimate for the MM lump sum?

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2733 Posts
      Posted: June 22, 2005, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

the lump sum is the actual amount of money the lotteries have to pay out the jackpot.  the annuity is the lump sum invested in securities that mature in 26 years (in this case).  they have it figured out so each payment is equal and that the total of the payments equals the jackpot won.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: June 22, 2005, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

You can get the exact Cash Value on ohiolottery.com

(insert signature here)

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: June 22, 2005, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Best site for breaking down the prize is www.usamega.com .Too bad they haven't started the Euromillions sales again though.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            21589 Posts
            Posted: June 22, 2005, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

danisiri,

Check out the FAQ page at www.usamega.com.  It has most or all of the answers to your questions.  Also, be sure to check out the Jackpot Analysis page there, which shows state-by-state breakdown of your prize after taxes.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1867 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2005, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Apparently, Mega Millions still pays annuities in equal installments (although the first payment may be slightly larger due to them having to purchase securities by the $1000's).

When Powerball changes their matrix, they will pay annuities in graduated installments though.

United States
                Member #13684
                April 11, 2005
                77 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2005, 2:20 am - IP Logged

So then the answer to my question is that the ratio of lump sum to JP is that there is no set ratio, it all depends on the current interest rate of T-notes. 

The USA Mega site is okay, though it does not exactly answer my questions in the detail that I am looking for, but...

Thank you for the link to the Ohio website - that really gives me what I was looking for on the ratio of lump sum to JP.

Thank you also for affirmation on the equal installments for the annuity.

As I am sure most of the Lottery Post members do, I keep an Excel spreadsheet to calculate my own amounts for what I would get after taxes and after I have used up some of the money.  Plus, I keep track of hypothetical investment returns and current interest rates on Treasury securities and other income investments.  This spreadsheet keeps me disciplined, so I figure that if I have it in place, I will be less likely to become one of the horror stories should I win.

I live in CA, so I wanted to add the MM data to the sheet.

Thanks all!