Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:16 am
You last visited September 1, 2014, 7:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can you "claim prize in trust" anywhere?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by delS.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
460 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2005, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Or does it vary between states?

A $106 Million jackpot from the Mega Millions was recently claimed in trust in Ohio.  But the Idaho Powerball winner Brad Duke was not allowed to remain anonymous.  You would think that someone as successful as him (I think that he owns a fitness company in Boise) who wanted to remain anonymous would have had a lawyer pick up the prize if it was possible.  Lottery prizes can be claimed in trust in New Hampshire and Louisiana, because it has actually happened there.  But can a prize be claimed in trust in most states?  A Pennsylvania Powerball jackpot prize was claimed as "WLT Trust" late 2004, but the names of the winners were still shown.  Does anyone know if an anonymity of a trust can be used anywhere or if it depends? I guess that hypersoniq would know the answer to this one. 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Not in California.  In California the person that bought the ticket must be the person that makes the claim and must prove they are 18 years old or older.  There has been at least one case in California where a man asked a friend of his to make the claim.  The California Lottery Commission discovered what was going on and made the man that bought the ticket claim it. 

danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
      Member #13684
      April 11, 2005
      77 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2005, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I live in CA too, and can second CalifDude's statement.  I guess the loss of anonymity is the price you pay when you win a JP.  The key for us Californians is to be as boring as possible so that hopefully all the media exposure we will get is a 90 second blurb on the local evening news.  Unless, of course, if the all time single JP record is broken, it will be much harder to stay out of the spotlight. 

So the question arises, how much is enough to lose your privacy?  My answer is as much as possible, preferably over $200 million, but I am happy just to win!

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
        light on my feet
        United States
        Member #356
        May 20, 2002
        2744 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2005, 1:59 am - IP Logged

well that is a bummer.  time to implement plan B.

are you guys sure of this?  this is the official stance of the california lottery?

i can see it for integrity purposes,  but that is a bummer if the winner absolutely has to be the one that publically claims it.

todd ..... what do you know about this ????

but at least plan B includes not having to say a word, and showing up in disguise if i have to.  this stuff is serious.  especially if the "jack" is a big-un.   wisdom dictates that you have to go to whatever lengths to protect your privacy.

at least if you don't talk (or purposefully disguise your voice), and you are wearing a disguise then only people that know you personally will hassle you.  then you will have a reasonable head start on some semblence of anonymity.

collect and then your first purchase is a bomb shelter.  yikes

V-WA-DUDE  (nottoworryicanstillhandleit)

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          7849 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2005, 2:03 am - IP Logged

what's the big deal in Calif millionairs are a dime a dosen. No matter how hard you try and hide the fact that you won somebody some where will spill the beans. Besides you have the big daddy on your side dude.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
            light on my feet
            United States
            Member #356
            May 20, 2002
            2744 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2005, 2:45 am - IP Logged

what's the big deal in Calif millionairs are a dime a dosen. No matter how hard you try and hide the fact that you won somebody some where will spill the beans. Besides you have the big daddy on your side dude.

true...

ultimately i don't worry as all this stuff has already been orchaestrated.  i just have to go along for the ride that has already been planned out for me.  but i have to do my part by preparing myself beforehand.

it's just that i had it figured out that i would claim it in trust.  i used to live in georgia and never thought about california's standards.  that changes things a bit.

i guess if God decides that it be "public" to some degree,  then so be it.  he certainly has built "big shoulders" on me these last 9 years and i am not afraid of anything/anybody.  i am well aware of all the difficulties of someone that this happens to.  the valleys of life are the same as the mountaintops for me.  both are merely functional destinations for Gods purpose THRU  my life.  i am greatful that God has already been ....were he is asking me to go.  with that mentality, it's not that big of a deal afterall.

it's just that i have always said that i wouldn't mind being wealthy (and that was before i knew that i was 'meant to').   i would mind being famous (and all the hassle that goes along with fame).  but i don't make up the rules. i just adjust to the one who does.

you know just as well as i do that no matter where you live, if someone finds out that you win a lottery,  people get weird about it.  i would still be besieged with offers of wallet relief.  it's that weird phenomenom that follows around a JP winner.  somehow people seem to think that it is free money and they are somehow entitled to some of it.  and then if you have jerry springer material for relatives (like i do) .....fuhhhhgetaaboutit

neverblurryVISION

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              7849 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2005, 3:10 am - IP Logged

Dude you are absolutly correct about people getting weird. A lady up the street from me won 10 grand on the lottery she must have told a few people about it. She also cashed the tickets and put the money in her house somewhere. While she was at work somone releived her of the cash having broke into her house and took her winnings. Sad but true story. i would never tell too many people i won until after i had secured the money in the bank or safe deposit box.

If i ever win the big one it will be weeks before anyone knows i won and me and my family will be long gone from the cityscape.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2005, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I'm already part of a trust.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #620
                  August 25, 2002
                  205 Posts
                  Posted: July 12, 2005, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

A "trust" isn't somewhere where you can hide.  It's simply a legal form that exempts an estate from going through probate.

I've posted it here before, but here it is again; under the "Freedom of Information Act", I doubt if one could hide his/her identify.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                    Member #567
                    August 14, 2002
                    460 Posts
                    Posted: July 21, 2005, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

But in states like Ohio, New Hampshire, Louisiana, and Delaware (Delaware lottery winners can be anonymous without a trust), you can form a trust to become anonymous. 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2005, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

In TN I don't know what the rules are...  But usually if you have your picture made they will put you on the website and explain a little about your winfall.  However, if you don't take a picture of course no one knows you've won.  Also, in TN I don't think people really care about staying anonymous.  They alway want to show off that they have won.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        541 Posts
                        Posted: July 21, 2005, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

In Maryland you can remain anonymous, and you can form a Trust and collect your winnings that way.  Depending on the amount and my mental state at the time of my winning, I could go either way.  I will not become a public figure though!  That I am 100% certain of.