Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:03 am
You last visited July 30, 2014, 3:01 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Coincidences?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Rainmaker2k.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Philadelphia
United States
Member #25543
November 8, 2005
7 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2005, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

2 couples share $340 million Powerball jackpot,and again the people are either retired or business owners. How come I never or rarely hear about a struggling person or someone who really deserves it winning?

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4034 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2005, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

2 couples share $340 million Powerball jackpot,and again the people are either retired or business owners. How come I never or rarely hear about a struggling person or someone who really deserves it winning?

No NodAnybody who bought a ticket deserves to win. 

takeemtothebank

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      17738 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2005, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Being retired doesn't mean a person isn't struggling or deserve to get lucky. 

* you don't need more tickets * 
      * just the right ticket * 
         Wink 

United States
        Member #1759
        June 29, 2003
        1156 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2005, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

I guess "Luck" doesn't care if your Rich,Poor,Criminal or other!!!!

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2005, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

OK - here you go.  I was on my last dollar, when I borrowed twenty-five cents from four people on the subway.  Then I hitched a ride to the local lottery store and bought a ticket.  It was a Quick Pick, because I can't count.   The $225M will keep me out of the dumpster for several weeks.  For Christmas I will spread flowers over the grave of the only friend I ever had. He died at the age of 87, riding a hummer.  He would have lived longer if he had liked General Motor products.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
            Member #5565
            July 11, 2004
            260 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2005, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

It might clue you in to the likelihood that winning the huge multi-state lotteries requires that a player buy a relatively large number of tickets to shorten the odds. 

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2005, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

It might clue you in to the likelihood that winning the huge multi-state lotteries requires that a player buy a relatively large number of tickets to shorten the odds. 

Why? The PB family didn't say how many they bought, but the guy claimed $40.00 total weeks ago; that would be $20.00 per family.  The last MM winner, from New Jersey spent $10.00 on their win (that week anyway). I've spent $20.00 on EM and $15.00 on MM this week.  I didn't buy a PB, think I have a few weeks of rest left on it.  Should put me right in the ball park.

Cheers

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: November 8, 2005, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Anyone can win or lose if they put in a dollar or two. That's how it goes.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                  Member #24439
                  October 22, 2005
                  638 Posts
                  Posted: November 8, 2005, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

It takes money to make money.

Philadelphia
                    United States
                    Member #25543
                    November 8, 2005
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: November 8, 2005, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I am clued in and I've heard of many people buying obscene amounts of tickets only to win peanuts. Their $40 hardly constitutes a large amount.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: November 8, 2005, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

OK JoeinPA, what about the guy in New York who was on his last .67 cents in the bank and hit the lottery for over 200 million! Now you have the story of hardship you were asking for and he spent his last 5 dollars on the lottery and won! Yes, he would have had $5.67 in the bank, but took the chance and it paid off big time for him! So JoeinPA, suck it up that others in this world (rich, poor, business owners or just the average person) has won the lottery and you haven't! The next drawing gives you the same chance at winning as the next person, but you have to be in the game to win the game!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 8, 2005, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

There was the Parking Lot Attendant who hit in NYC also. Of course his wife got half, but half is more than I got.

Cheers

Philadelphia
                          United States
                          Member #25543
                          November 8, 2005
                          7 Posts
                          Posted: November 9, 2005, 9:19 am - IP Logged

OK JoeinPA, what about the guy in New York who was on his last .67 cents in the bank and hit the lottery for over 200 million! Now you have the story of hardship you were asking for and he spent his last 5 dollars on the lottery and won! Yes, he would have had $5.67 in the bank, but took the chance and it paid off big time for him! So JoeinPA, suck it up that others in this world (rich, poor, business owners or just the average person) has won the lottery and you haven't! The next drawing gives you the same chance at winning as the next person, but you have to be in the game to win the game!

So that was one example of a guy who spent his last dollar. But more often than not most of the big winners were people who,like I said,were either retired and/or already successful business owners. And what about the guy in West Virginia a couple years ago who hit the big one and turns out he was already a millionaire. The issuse here is not that I'm jealous or whatever that others have won,because I know if fate has it I'll win,but it just seems a little peculiar is all. I think I saw a couple of other threads on here also questioning some sort of validity of drawings. Perhaps it's just the continuing case of the rich getting richer.

United States
                            Member #1759
                            June 29, 2003
                            1156 Posts
                            Posted: November 9, 2005, 9:22 am - IP Logged

That's probably because the players that have money can afford to play more often than the players that don't have much money

Litebets27's avatar - power
                              Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #10465
                              January 14, 2005
                              5517 Posts
                              Posted: November 9, 2005, 9:43 am - IP Logged

JoeinPa, what you are suggesting is that these big jackpots have eyes and that it was determed by someone to make only the rich or the well-off to get richer. I don't know about the other States, but most of the winners here in Maryland have claimed only spending appoximately $3-$5 when they have gone to claim their prizes, and only an extreme few of them I would have put in the "well-off" catogory.

I think that the winning is random and luck plays a big part in it. Good luck on your next purchase of tickets.

litebets