Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:16 am
You last visited July 22, 2014, 5:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymous winner in Indiana!

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Uncle Jim.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Indiana
United States
Member #29196
December 29, 2005
280 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2006, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Whoa!  This blew my mind!  Here is a press release from the Hoosier Lottery:

A representative for the Boulon Revocable Trust claimed the $6.5 million Hoosier Lotto jackpot from the March 4 drawing.  The winner elected to take the cash option worth $3.2 million.  The prize was claimed March 10.  The jackpot winning ticket was purchased at Speedway #6140 at 5221 S. Emerson in Indianapolis.

This is the first time I have ever seen an anonymous winner in Indiana.  This person not only has their head on straight but they must have a great lawyer!

Jim

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Columbia City, Indiana
    United States
    Member #2978
    December 9, 2003
    381 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2006, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Wow! For a moment I thought my cover was blown.

I won thirty bucks that weekend in the PowerBall drawing, but decided to keep it to myself. I realize now that this press release wasn't about me (I don't play any Hoosier Lottery games). Maybe I should have gone the trust route, too, but I just took the cash ...

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Indiana
      United States
      Member #29196
      December 29, 2005
      280 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2006, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Hey!  Anyone heard from Winning Jeff lately?

Hmmm?

Actually, I think this is an interesting development in the on-going saga of the Hoosier Lottery.  My previous research indicates that the Hoosier Lottery is required by law to publish the name and county of residence of the person who won. 

But I must say that I think this is a good thing that Hoosier Lottery winners (Man!  There's an oxymoron for you!) can claim prizes as a trust and thus have a degree of anonymity. 

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Columbia City, Indiana
        United States
        Member #2978
        December 9, 2003
        381 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2006, 11:23 am - IP Logged

The Hoosier Lottery is required by law to do many things, but the laws which govern them, whether state or federal, are viewed as mere suggestions. Reference the 06DEC05 post by Korean Redneck, in which the Hoosier Lottery tells him in an email that it's perfectly okay for his friend to send him PowerBall tickets through the mail from another state.

According to Title 18 of the Federal Code, this is still illegal. The message seems to be, "Once we have your money, we don't care if you go to jail, so it's okay with us if you break the law, because it doesn't apply to us; that's only for other state lotteries."

When I read that press release, my in ital reaction was to suspect that the winner was an immediate family member of  some Hoosier Lottery official or employee. Indiana law states that an employee's immediate family can play the games, provided they don't live under the same roof. Also, this is the first time in the history of the Hoosier Lottery that a jackpot winner was allowed his anonymity. 

This is one of the few laws specific to the Hoosier Lottery that they follow to the letter.

Jim

Indiana
          United States
          Member #29196
          December 29, 2005
          280 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Agreed Jim.  The Hoosier Lottery is shameless in thier exploitation of winners.  Given all the corruption at the Hoosier Lottery I have to wonder what's going on here.  However, I say again that being able to claim your prize anonymously is a right every lottery winner should have.  And it will be interesting to see if this starts a trend in Indiana of anonymous winners.

Jim 

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
            Member #567
            August 14, 2002
            457 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2006, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

A representative for the Boulon Revocable Trust claimed the $6.5 million Hoosier Lotto jackpot from the March 4 drawing.  The winner elected to take the cash option worth $3.2 million.  The prize was claimed March 10.  The jackpot winning ticket was purchased at Speedway #6140 at 5221 S. Emerson in Indianapolis.

This is the first time I have ever seen an anonymous winner in Indiana.  This person not only has their head on straight but they must have a great lawyer!

Jim

Where is your source from?  I looked at the Hoosier Lottery website, and it doesn't say anything about this.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Columbia City, Indiana
              United States
              Member #2978
              December 9, 2003
              381 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2006, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Rundown99:

On the Hoosier Lottery website,  put your mouse over "Lottery Information" on the toolbar. A menu will drop down. Click on "Press Releases," and then select the month you want to check (March, '06).

Jim

Jim

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                7820 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2006, 5:21 pm - IP Logged
                  duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                  Jacksonville Florida
                  United States
                  Member #23018
                  October 6, 2005
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2006, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Jim

It was not anonymous, as the winner was named: Boulon Revocable Trust. Many people create trusts or corporations when they win and designate them as the "winner", which is completely legal. The actual "person winner" has majority control over the corporation or trust.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2010 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2006, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Wow! For a moment I thought my cover was blown.

I won thirty bucks that weekend in the PowerBall drawing, but decided to keep it to myself. I realize now that this press release wasn't about me (I don't play any Hoosier Lottery games). Maybe I should have gone the trust route, too, but I just took the cash ...

You should have took $60 over 30 years.

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #29196
                      December 29, 2005
                      280 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2006, 6:59 am - IP Logged

@duckman:

This is the first time I've ever seen a Lotto prize claimed as a trust in Indiana.  Indiana state law specifically says the name and county of residence of the "winner" must be published.  By "winner" it has always been my understanding that they meant an actual person and not an entity such as a trust or LLC.

Don't get me wrong...I think this is a good thing.  I absolutely support winners having the right to privacy.

Jim