Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:58 pm
You last visited October 22, 2014, 7:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot code on scratch tickets

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rdc137.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
Member #12416
March 13, 2005
564 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2006, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I know that the code varies for different prizes, but I read somewhere that the jackpot winning tickets don't have any code at all. 

Anyone out there ever seen a jackpot code??

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2006, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

I've seen copies of winning tickets.  I believe it's just random letters.  I know on certain winners they have TWO, TIC, FOR, FIV, TEN, and HUN.  But I think on the top prizes they usually have random letters.  You can view a Jackpot ticket on SC's website.  Click on any game and it will show what a winner will look like.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Roslindale, MA
      United States
      Member #5377
      July 1, 2004
      134 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2006, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

In MA they just use losing codes (e.g. FOW, SRX, TNO) for the big winners (as opposed to the usual ONE, TWO, FOR, FVE, etc. for the $500 or less winners).

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
        Member #12416
        March 13, 2005
        564 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2006, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanx for the feedback.

I'll take a look at the website and hope to see one in person someday......... 

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

love2005's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
          Member #9727
          December 18, 2004
          964 Posts
          Posted: July 3, 2006, 3:26 am - IP Logged

this is love2005 and i had won onehundredfour dollars on saturday of july1st. it was a luck. it was blackout bingo on $2.00 scratch offs that i had 2 of them i pay for $4.00 in va. at a store. gl next time eo here on lp family for playing  the scratch cards at store or at home and have a great day and fun,  enjoy yours 4th of july US Flag.

lottolaughs's avatar - avatar 3824.gif
            California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            6612 Posts
            Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Glad you brought this up. I was very disappointed to find out that scratchers have  "spoiler" letters. Sometimes when I'm scratching my ticket I already know that it's a loser and it takes away the fun once you learn which letters mean what. My friend who sells tickets says a lot of people just scratch off the bar code and hand him the ticket to see if it's a winner or not. I saw a $20,000 winning ticket and I believe it did have a letter or letters on it but that is in CA. I'm sure each state differs.

A tip on buying a winning scratchoff---usually they will be the ones or around the ones that have a white line at the top near the perferation!

long island
              United States
              Member #40931
              June 8, 2006
              23 Posts
              Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

here in ny the spoiler letters on tickets with prizes over 500.00 have bad letters so people who just look for the letters and throw out the tickets without (playing) them could be discarding a big winner,the odds are thats its a losing ticket anyway but who knows.i cant imagine how many good winners are thrown out cause people are too lazy to play the game.

mike

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                7881 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

you aren't going to see the letters that designate the winners if you don't scratch off the latex

long island
                  United States
                  Member #40931
                  June 8, 2006
                  23 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

they scratch around the edges of the game to look for the letters then see the bad letters and throw the ticket out, without playing the game

i sell the ny scratch tickets and see it all too much,i try to tell them to play the tickets but there too lazy,i have found many winning tickets in the garbage(nothin big)because they scratch em so fast and glance at the ticket and toss it.

mike

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                    North Dakota
                    United States
                    Member #13397
                    April 5, 2005
                    1623 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2006, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Some tickets I've noticed have a Black line on the bottom of the card.  If the ticket is black of course you're not going to be able to see it...  But it is either on the right,left, or both sides of the ticket it looks like an L.  Sometimes this doesn't work but I would rather bet on the tickets with the L on them.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2006, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I always scratch the entire game. I figure If I pay for the ticket I may as well go ahead and play it as it was intended.

Who has time to worry about code letters and numbers...

I just want the numbers to match so I can cash it in...

DD

Franklassgirl30's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        North Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #42922
                        July 10, 2006
                        68 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2006, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I am from North Carolina, and of course the lottery is fairly new here.  People here have been throwing away winning tickets also, by looking at codes.  I recently found a wild cherry winner, well it was only for $12.00, but what the heck, it's still money.Jester Laugh

cats135's avatar - yocco
                          New York
                          United States
                          Member #28934
                          December 25, 2005
                          11 Posts
                          Posted: July 25, 2006, 4:28 am - IP Logged

Yes, I have seen a $10,000 winner on Bingo and it definitely had a code. However; the code

was one that you would see on a losing ticket. It did not coincide with the amount like

the smaller prizes do (i.e. $10 has T E N, $5 has F I V, etc.). The code was one that didn't have

an apparent meaning, it was something like M L K, something like that.

I also saw $1000 winner on Lucky Time Two  that had P L X and you know that is a code on a

lot of losing tickets.  That is why I laugh when I see people buying cards and just scratching

the codes. They could easily be throwing away big winners, because the big winners don't

spell out the amount you won.  However; there are exceptions, because I just remembered

seeing a winning WIN FOR LIFE card and the code was indeed L I  F.  (Unfortunately, I wasn't 

the $1000 a/week winner for life).

But, as a rule, always check your cards out, don't go by the codes, because hey, you never know!

Pamela aka Sweet Sade

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: July 25, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

NEVER play any of the 4 versions of Lose for Life. And avoid NY's "million-dollar" scratches, because _all_ of them are annuity-only.

United States
                              Member #45031
                              August 13, 2006
                              29 Posts
                              Posted: August 13, 2006, 4:00 am - IP Logged

I'd never heard that the big winners have losing codes on them...figures...I've probably thrown away a couple of jackpots over the years!

I wonder if the codes are the same in all states? Are all scratchers produced by the same company?

The most I have won has been $500. IIRC the code was

F H R

I've won $350, that code was F R E.

Last St. Pat's Day weekend I played three days in a row; on Friday I won $100, on Saturday I won $50 and on Sunday I won $500....and I'm not even Irish!

One "Family" of games popular here in VA are the $5  "Lucky 7's"  (Emerald Green 7, Ruby Red 7, Sapphire Blue 7). They're easy to play, you just scratch down a column and if you see a large "7" you've won something.