Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:45 am
You last visited September 2, 2014, 2:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Scratch Offs

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Pick3forSC.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
rainbow lake
Canada
Member #25177
November 2, 2005
10687 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2006, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I got my hands on a box of tickets that had already been scratched.

They were all winners there were over 2000 tickets in the box.

Heres what I found.

The 5 dollar scratches had one winner of $100

one winner of $50

20 at $20

Many at $6

The smaller priced tickets had mostly free ticket and $1 winners

So the odds suck big time on scratches.

In my mind yer better off playing pick 3.

most tickets say the odds of winning are 1 in 3.57 or someting like that.

Those odds are the odds of winning your money back on the cost of 1 ticket, so allready you are in the Hole.

None of the tickets listed your odds of winning the big prize.

so those odds are large, like maybe one in a100,000 if prize is 10,000.

Not sure of those odds, but they suck.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    9028 Posts
    Posted: December 21, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Amazing Grace

I have to disagree with you on this:

"In my mind yer better off playing pick 3."

Pick 3's are an all or nothing affair, unless you're talking front pair / back pair - which jacks up the price of the ticket.  

If someone is playing a Pick 3 every day and someone else is playing a scratcher everyday, the scratcher player is going to win something eventually- the Pick 3 player may never hit.  

If the Pick 3 player is playing pairs also that's a $3 ticket- once again, someome matching that in scratchers is going to hit something before the Pick 3 player ever does, if in fact they ever hit.

- I play Pick 3 most days and my wife plays scratchers- she's hit a whole lot more than I have.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

long island
      United States
      Member #40931
      June 8, 2006
      23 Posts
      Posted: December 24, 2006, 7:39 am - IP Logged

hey

the reason you didnt find too many big winning tickets is because people save those tickets and put them in scrapbooks or just to show friends and family members proof that they won a nice prize.I know that everytime i win a big prize (500 or more) that ticket comes home with me and goes into the scrap book or to just brag to family and friends.

mike

Kirriemuir, Angus
        United Kingdom
        Member #27237
        November 28, 2005
        2 Posts
        Posted: December 25, 2006, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I find the lack of information about statistics and winners of scratchcards amazing. Has anyone ever won a substantial sum or does anyone know of others who have won substantial amounts on those cards? I too have frequently won but the majority of wins have simply been the return of the cost of the original card, just a little something to keep the hopes high. I cannot recall the maximum amount I have won on one card but whatever it was it certainly did not impress.

GBSSR's avatar - spider
          PA
          United States
          Member #4284
          April 8, 2004
          979 Posts
          Posted: December 25, 2006, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

A large number of big hits 1.000 and up are hit by the same people in PA every month. Its amazing! I looked it up on their website for proof. Many of the winners are low number tickets, purchased by retail owners that have first access to the instants! THEY have the advantage! Check Pa and see if there aren't common threads to the winners.

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            9028 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2006, 2:40 am - IP Logged

A couple of months ago our local news reported on a woman in Southeast Missouri winning $100,000 on a $5 Poker game scratcher. 

Not bad! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rainbow lake
              Canada
              Member #25177
              November 2, 2005
              10687 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2006, 9:26 am - IP Logged

I got my hands on a box of tickets that had already been scratched.

They were all winners there were over 2000 tickets in the box.

Heres what I found.

The 5 dollar scratches had one winner of $100

one winner of $50

20 at $20

Many at $6

The smaller priced tickets had mostly free ticket and $1 winners

So the odds suck big time on scratches.

In my mind yer better off playing pick 3.

most tickets say the odds of winning are 1 in 3.57 or someting like that.

Those odds are the odds of winning your money back on the cost of 1 ticket, so allready you are in the Hole.

None of the tickets listed your odds of winning the big prize.

so those odds are large, like maybe one in a100,000 if prize is 10,000.

Not sure of those odds, but they suck.

Here are just two examples -- Mystery Money (game closes on Nov. 30, 2006) offers you a chance to win $50,000, but all four $50,000 winning tickets were sold last month. Yet, the game is still in play.

Another game still being sold -- Gold Rush (game closes on Nov. 30, 2006) with a $250,000 payoff. But again, the $250,000 winning tickets, along with the winning tickets for second- and third-tier prizes were all sold last month.

"I don't think it's fair. I think they should take those tickets off the market and start all over again," Mitchell said.

Retailers selling lottery tickets are supposed to keep a current list of all the scratch-off prizes that have been claimed so far, but Local 2 Investigates checked at least 10 different stores in the Houston area and discovered not a single one had a current list of prizes claimed. One store posted a list that was three months old.

"Sometimes it's a little bit like herding cats. You can't always do it," said Leticia Vasquez with the Texas Lottery Commission.

The Texas Lottery Commission's Leticia Vasquez says while stores are provided with a current list of prizes already claimed, the commission can't make the stores post that list.

"It should be prominently located, but there is not a rule that I know of that says the consumer has to see it," she said.

The Texas Lottery Commission does post a current list of scratch-off prizes already claimed on its Web site, but most lottery players we spoke with didn't know that.

"They'll keep selling them. It doesn't matter how old they are, they'll keep selling them until they're gone," Mitchell said.

So how long will the Lottery Commission continue to sell a scratch-off game after all the top prizes have been won? There is no set answer. Commission officials say it just depends on how well a particular game is selling.

As Robert mentioned, make sure to check the Lottery Commission's Web site before you buy your scratch-off tickets. The site will give you an exact list of all scratch-off games currently being sold and how many of the prizes for those games have already been claimed.

More Information:
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                9028 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Some states do pull all the reamining tickets after all the top winners havre been sold. I think that startd with a lawsuit, and that info is here on the board somewhere.

Lep

long island
                  United States
                  Member #40931
                  June 8, 2006
                  23 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2006, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

In NY  a message is sent through the lotto terminal stating that the last top prize has been sold on a particular game and to pull whatever tickets you have for sale, a lotto rep will be there to pick them up shortly.So all retailers are aware of the ending of a game.They are also forced to print the message or the lotto machine locks up and you cant sell or cash any more tickets

mike

rainbow lake
                    Canada
                    Member #25177
                    November 2, 2005
                    10687 Posts
                    Posted: December 31, 2006, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

The Fifth Estate reported that retailers in Ontario won large prizes nearly 200 times in the past seven years.

With an estimated 60,000 retailers working in the province, a University of Toronto statistician, who crunched numbers for the television show, said the chance of retailers winning that often is "about one chance in a trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion." He estimated the number of wins should be closer to 57.

Lottery officials later revised the number of retailers and clerks in Ontario to 140,000, but the statistician said the number of wins was still "extremely unlikely."

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=ontario_home&articleID=2497801

United States
                      Member #45031
                      August 13, 2006
                      29 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2007, 3:32 am - IP Logged

I don't know if all states do this, but VA lottery has info on their website as to which prizes remain on which scratchers..I always check it before I buy a ticket.

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2007, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I check the GA and SC website for remaining jackpot scratch tickets frequently.
                        This tells me which to zone in on or stay away from, but the reality is you just have to be in the right place at the right time....

DD

NY
                          United States
                          Member #49833
                          February 16, 2007
                          1 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2007, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I check the stories in the NY lottery website to see how many winners there are for instant scratch games....they dont really tell you how many winners there are for each scratch game....they give you some stories, then i count how many winners, then i see if i should play.

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                            North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
                            United States
                            Member #1436
                            April 28, 2003
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2007, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

S. Carolina actually has it printed on it's tix now.... That "tickets" may continue to be sold even after all "Grand Prizes" have been won.