Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:53 am
You last visited August 27, 2014, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cheating scratch-offs

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Omniscient.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #56608
November 26, 2007
39 Posts
Posted: November 27, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

When you buy scratch-off tickets, an average of 1 out of every 4 tickets is a winner. That is just total odds though, so sometimes you can buy 4 tickets and get 2 winners or even 3 winners. I tested it with hundreds of dollars once and I never, ever, ever scatched more than 6 tickets no matter if they were 1 dollar or 2 dollars or 5 or 10 dollars tickets without getting a winner. not once.

If you buy 5 different tickets, you are mathematically decreasing your odds of winning. At least if you buy 5 of the same kind you know you have a winner. By buying 2 of 1 ticket, 3 of another, and 1 of another, you are mathematically decreasing your odds!

If you save up 250 dollars for tickets and spend them on 100 of the 2 dollar Monopoly tickets (needs to be the same type of ticket), and 50 of the 1 dollar tickets all of the same king, you could be playing for weeks and it also increases your chances of winning.

If you buy 1 ticket, and I buy 250 tickets, I have a better chance of hitting $200, $250, $500, $1000, or higher than you by far.

The more chances to win, the better the odds.

Now you have 100 of the 2 dollar tickets, and 50 of the 1 dollar tickets. 150 tickets. You are guaranteed to have at least 30 winners with the possibility of over 45 winners.

You spent $250.

You're guaranteed to get a few $10, a few $15, a few $25, LOTS of free tickets, and LOTS of $1 and $2.

Now you're back up to lets say $125, so you buy $125 more in the same way.

You get a $25 winner, couple $10, lotta $5 winners, and a bunch of free tickets and $1.

Now you're down to $65. Then boom you get that $100 to $500 and you're back up again.

I tried it once before but not the way I should of, I made the mistake of buying different tickets instead of spending it all on the same type.

BUT NEVER did I scratch 5 tickets in a row of the same kind and not get a winner, not once.

So I figure if you buy 100 of the same 2 dollar ticket, you will win over half, play again, win over half, play again, win over half, play again.

The point is, if you spend 250dollars, but you get to play over 400 dollars to 650 dollars from the winning tickets guaranteed no ifs ands or buts about it and it has been tested multiple times. Test it for yourself. Buy 6 of the same $1 monopoly ticket and see if you don't get 1 to 3 winners from those 6 tickets.

So you're getting to play twice what you spend by the time you're done playing.

You will never buy spend 250 dollars on 100 of the 2 dollar monopoly tickets and 50 of the 1 dollar monopoly tickets and not end up playing over 400 dollars in tickets. Chances are you will end up playing over 500 hundred dollars in tickets by the time you're done with all the winners.

Total odds are less than 1 in 4 tickets being a winner.

Try it with 20 dollars of the same kind of 1 dollar monopoly ticket and you will see you play over 35 to 45 dollars in tickets by the time you're done - assuming you don't hit $50 to $150 to $250 or more. It's like you spend 35 to 45 or 50 dollars but only 20 dollars came out of your pocket.

OHIO
    United States
    Member #4164
    March 27, 2004
    10835 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2007, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

are you talking beginning of the roll or anywhere in the roll????

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

United States
      Member #56608
      November 26, 2007
      39 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter, you're guaranteed at least 30 and probably over 30 winners no matter where you start.

on average, 1 out of every 4 tickets are a winner in each roll. Its on the back of the tickets.

Make sure its the same type of ticket though. Don't buy 30 of one ticket, 20 of another, 10 of another, ect. or you decrease your odds.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
        Jacksonville Florida
        United States
        Member #23018
        October 6, 2005
        717 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2007, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

In each "book" of tickets, there will be a certain number of low tier winners. In each "group" of books, there are 1 or a few next higher tier winners. Among the many groups, there are next higher tier winners, and so on, with one big winner within a major grouping of tickets. If a game has 3 jackpot prizes available, only 1 jackpot prize will be within a major grouping of tickets (there would be 3 major groupings if there are 3 jackpot prizes).

Example below (the odds and amounts are different for each game but the principal is the same):

We will use a $1 Florida game for the example:
        Overall Odds: 1-in-3.69

$1,200.00 1-in-336,000   
        $100.00 1-in-45,000
        $50.00 1-in-1,500
        $25.00 1-in-300   
        $10.00 1-in-75
        $5.00 1-in-50
        $2.00 1-in-30
        $1.00 1-in-10
        FREE $1 TICKET 1-in-10

In each "book" of 300 tickets, you will have:

1 - $25 winner
        4 - $10 winners
        6 - $5 winners
        10 - $2 winners
        30 - $1 winners
        30 - Free Tickets

...or $175 in winnings (counting the Free Tickets as $1 each)

NOTE THAT THERE IS ONLY ** ONE ** $50 winner spread among 5 Books of tickets (1500 total tickets). You need to buy (or spend) $1500 to (probably) get an additional $50 on top of each $175 each book will return. A losing proposition.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
          Jacksonville Florida
          United States
          Member #23018
          October 6, 2005
          717 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2007, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning anything on a single ticket are decreased if you buy 5 tickets from different games, but you increase your odds of getting two higher tier prizes if you go with different games.

For example, if you buy 5 tickets from a single game, your odds of getting TWO or more $25 or greater winners is virtually zero. If you buy 5 tickets from 5 different games, your odds of getting TWO or more $25 or greater tickets are better (although still very poor odds, but better than zero).

Buying from a single game increases your chances of getting at least a small winner but lowers your odds of getting MULTIPLE higer tier level prizes. Single game buying increases chances of getting ONE higher tier level prize, although, again, at very poor odds overall.

Buying from separate games increases your chances of getting MULTIPLE higher level prizes but lowers your odds of getting at least one lowest level prize.

Buying single-game or multiple-game simply trades the risk/rewards ratio...in the end, it all works out the same statistically.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23622 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I sell lottery tickets ... lol   This post is so UNTRUE....

I have sold 20 $2 tickets that contained zero winners... All on same roll....... All still attached in trash...  I checked each carefully thinking surely there is one winner here.... Heck... 20 losers in a row on the same roll.. yeah.. they were losers... 

I have sold 10 of the same tickets... and guess what.. they were all winners... The person who cashed in never tore them apart... Small winners.. but all winners...

Usually when you encounter a big losing streak of 10-20 losers in a roll... There is  a $500 winner in that roll... Has it already been sold is the $500 question.  This is when it is good to know your clerks well... lol   Ask...?  Have there been any big winners lately..  If so on that roll, stay far away from it.... Especially if it is a $500 winner.     If $100 winner came from a row, there will be a $50, $75 and several $35 winners. Are they still on the roll.... Only the clerk would know if he/she has been with that roll since the beginning of it.

Spending $250 on tickets do not better your chance....

I have seen people buy on two and hit the $500 and others spend $300 and end up with a few free tickets.

The rolls do not have $300 worth of winners on it.   Each roll cost $300... If they gave away $300 or more on each roll... The state makes nothing or loses.. How many states are going to let that happen.. NONE>..   The average pay back on a roll is $187.... Sad but true.   Where does the $500 come in... Usually two per bundle... Each bundle has a certain amount of rolls.   When we open a new bundle and sell the two $500.. we know the bundle is consider dead then...  However,  people still play to see if they can win a ticket..

$20 tickets have at least 1 thousand per bundle.  Will a store buy a complete bundle?  That is important to know.  If the store doesn't sell that many $20 tickets, then the lottery will not leave a complete bundle.  Thereforth for each $20 ticket bundle, the $1000 ticket is hidden somewhere in that area.

$10 tickets have been the biggest joke.  I have seen 15 losers in a row.  It was disgusting.  What is more disgusting , is seeing people playing them after losing $150 ......

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23622 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Try it with 20 dollars of the same kind of 1 dollar monopoly ticket and you will see you play over 35 to 45 dollars in tickets by the time you're done - assuming you don't hit $50 to $150 to $250 or more. It's like you spend 35 to 45 or 50 dollars but only 20 dollars came out of your pocket.

Seems like your game is to see how long $20 can last you in scratching.... I had rather keep my $20.. lol

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                7846 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter, you're guaranteed at least 30 and probably over 30 winners no matter where you start.

on average, 1 out of every 4 tickets are a winner in each roll. Its on the back of the tickets.

Make sure its the same type of ticket though. Don't buy 30 of one ticket, 20 of another, 10 of another, ect. or you decrease your odds.

maybe on a good day that might happen but what if you bought three tickets in a row and they were winners somebody else comes in behind you and buys 20 tickets off the roll you just won on and their 20 tickets didn't win squat./ Don't believe for a minute that the odds of 1 in 4 are correct.

You could by a roll of tickets say 100 dollars worth and only win 20 bucks total.

Scratch offs aren't made to make people money they are designed to make the state money the few winners are a tease to get you to buy more thinking that if you just won a few bucks that the big money winner will come off that book/roll.

In fact on many big time scratch tickets with huge top prizes they might print 100 million or more tickets with only 4 top prize winners.

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23622 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

The tickets are 1 winner out of 4...

What does this mean...?

It means for every winner there are 3 losers..

It means that if they print 400 tickets  100 would be winners,  300 losers... Not necessarily back to back on the same roll..

It means that ticket winners (winning a free ticket) is counted as a winner of the promised 1 out of four tickets.

It means that at the printing station.. they are required to print a winner for every three losers they print. 

It means that the state is willing to give back a ticket for each three they sell...

It means that people will think if they buy four tickets they will win at least 1..  That is what they want people to think...

It means that they aren't lying when are able to prove they printed a winner for every three losers.. All the winners could be on one roll..

If means that they don't have to have 75 winners on a roll of $1 tickets. (those rolls have 300 tickets on them).. They only have to prove that for every three losers a winner (of at least a ticket) was printed.

It means that the state has a lot of people suckered into these games....and that is how they want it...

It means in the long run you can never win at this game.

It means there is no possible way of cheating on scratch-offs.. you all have a better chance of guessing the PB than to figure out a way to beat the scratchoff system.

United States
                    Member #56608
                    November 26, 2007
                    39 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

In each "book" of tickets, there will be a certain number of low tier winners. In each "group" of books, there are 1 or a few next higher tier winners. Among the many groups, there are next higher tier winners, and so on, with one big winner within a major grouping of tickets. If a game has 3 jackpot prizes available, only 1 jackpot prize will be within a major grouping of tickets (there would be 3 major groupings if there are 3 jackpot prizes).

Example below (the odds and amounts are different for each game but the principal is the same):

We will use a $1 Florida game for the example:
                    Overall Odds: 1-in-3.69

$1,200.00 1-in-336,000   
                    $100.00 1-in-45,000
                    $50.00 1-in-1,500
                    $25.00 1-in-300   
                    $10.00 1-in-75
                    $5.00 1-in-50
                    $2.00 1-in-30
                    $1.00 1-in-10
                    FREE $1 TICKET 1-in-10

In each "book" of 300 tickets, you will have:

1 - $25 winner
                    4 - $10 winners
                    6 - $5 winners
                    10 - $2 winners
                    30 - $1 winners
                    30 - Free Tickets

...or $175 in winnings (counting the Free Tickets as $1 each)

NOTE THAT THERE IS ONLY ** ONE ** $50 winner spread among 5 Books of tickets (1500 total tickets). You need to buy (or spend) $1500 to (probably) get an additional $50 on top of each $175 each book will return. A losing proposition.

That is false. I've won two $25 tickets of the same ticket in 1 roll.

I've won more than 4 $10 winners in the same roll.

Where did you get this information from?

I once spent $120 in the same ticket and won over $150 in winnings, then spent that n won over $100 - same monopoly game.

Your information is flawed.

United States
                      Member #56608
                      November 26, 2007
                      39 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning anything on a single ticket are decreased if you buy 5 tickets from different games, but you increase your odds of getting two higher tier prizes if you go with different games.

For example, if you buy 5 tickets from a single game, your odds of getting TWO or more $25 or greater winners is virtually zero. If you buy 5 tickets from 5 different games, your odds of getting TWO or more $25 or greater tickets are better (although still very poor odds, but better than zero).

Buying from a single game increases your chances of getting at least a small winner but lowers your odds of getting MULTIPLE higer tier level prizes. Single game buying increases chances of getting ONE higher tier level prize, although, again, at very poor odds overall.

Buying from separate games increases your chances of getting MULTIPLE higher level prizes but lowers your odds of getting at least one lowest level prize.

Buying single-game or multiple-game simply trades the risk/rewards ratio...in the end, it all works out the same statistically.

If you buy the same ticket with a higher amount of money, you're more likely to get over $20-$100 in free play.

Example: I buy 100 1 dollar monopoly tickets and get $61 in winnings, then play that $61 in winnings and win 30 in winnings, then play that 30 and win 35, then play that 35 and win 12, then that 12 and win 5, then that 5 n get a free ticket, that free ticket and get a loser.

100 dollars came out of my pocket, but i played almost or over 200 dollars in ticket. As good as cheating.

The more you play at one time the more you get in free play.

If I buy 5 1 dollar tickets 1 day, then 1 1 dollar ticket the next, skip a day, then 5 more 1 dollar tickets, it isn't the same.

United States
                        Member #56608
                        November 26, 2007
                        39 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

1) you will never scratch 20 2 dollar tickets with no winners. I've tested it, and you can too. The odds of that happening are over 1 in thousands. You're lying or misunderstood. I've never, ever, ever, EVER scratched even 6 2 dollar tickets and not had at least 1 winners. Sometimes more than 1.

2) The chances of getting 10 winners in a row are even more unlikely. You are lying, or misunderstood, or an alcoholic and can't remember correctly.

3) Each roll costs 300? that means there is only 15 tickets of the 20dollar tickets in a row. so false, agian.

4) 10 dollar ticket, 15 losers in a row, close to impossible. No one here, NO ONE, is likely to go buy 15 10 dollar tickets and get no winner. I MEAN NO ONE. None. Not one single person here can go to their local gas station tomorrow morning and buy 15 2 dollar tickets, scratch all 15 tickets, and not get 1 single winner. Everyone will come back and the one with the worst luck will at least have got a free ticket, which is 10 dollars worth of tickets since its a 10 dollar ticket.

5) If I go buy 200 dollars in 1 dollar tickets of 2 different kinds (100 each), I will win close to 100 dollars if not almost 200 dollars back or more. By the time I'm down, I'll have got over 100 dollars in free play from winners. I'll have played over 200 dollars in tickets, but only 100 came out of my pocket.

i'll video tape it if you want to argue about it, or find someone else to test it and video tape it. i dont care where you live or what ticket it is.

United States
                          Member #56608
                          November 26, 2007
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

I sell lottery tickets ... lol   This post is so UNTRUE....

I have sold 20 $2 tickets that contained zero winners... All on same roll....... All still attached in trash...  I checked each carefully thinking surely there is one winner here.... Heck... 20 losers in a row on the same roll.. yeah.. they were losers... 

I have sold 10 of the same tickets... and guess what.. they were all winners... The person who cashed in never tore them apart... Small winners.. but all winners...

Usually when you encounter a big losing streak of 10-20 losers in a roll... There is  a $500 winner in that roll... Has it already been sold is the $500 question.  This is when it is good to know your clerks well... lol   Ask...?  Have there been any big winners lately..  If so on that roll, stay far away from it.... Especially if it is a $500 winner.     If $100 winner came from a row, there will be a $50, $75 and several $35 winners. Are they still on the roll.... Only the clerk would know if he/she has been with that roll since the beginning of it.

Spending $250 on tickets do not better your chance....

I have seen people buy on two and hit the $500 and others spend $300 and end up with a few free tickets.

The rolls do not have $300 worth of winners on it.   Each roll cost $300... If they gave away $300 or more on each roll... The state makes nothing or loses.. How many states are going to let that happen.. NONE>..   The average pay back on a roll is $187.... Sad but true.   Where does the $500 come in... Usually two per bundle... Each bundle has a certain amount of rolls.   When we open a new bundle and sell the two $500.. we know the bundle is consider dead then...  However,  people still play to see if they can win a ticket..

$20 tickets have at least 1 thousand per bundle.  Will a store buy a complete bundle?  That is important to know.  If the store doesn't sell that many $20 tickets, then the lottery will not leave a complete bundle.  Thereforth for each $20 ticket bundle, the $1000 ticket is hidden somewhere in that area.

$10 tickets have been the biggest joke.  I have seen 15 losers in a row.  It was disgusting.  What is more disgusting , is seeing people playing them after losing $150 ......

1) you will never scratch 20 2 dollar tickets with no winners. I've tested it, and you can too. The odds of that happening are over 1 in thousands. You're lying or misunderstood. I've never, ever, ever, EVER scratched even 6 2 dollar tickets and not had at least 1 winners. Sometimes more than 1.

2) The chances of getting 10 winners in a row are even more unlikely. You are lying, or misunderstood, or an alcoholic and can't remember correctly.

3) Each roll costs 300? that means there is only 15 tickets of the 20dollar tickets in a row. so false, agian.

4) 10 dollar ticket, 15 losers in a row, close to impossible. No one here, NO ONE, is likely to go buy 15 10 dollar tickets and get no winner. I MEAN NO ONE. None. Not one single person here can go to their local gas station tomorrow morning and buy 15 2 dollar tickets, scratch all 15 tickets, and not get 1 single winner. Everyone will come back and the one with the worst luck will at least have got a free ticket, which is 10 dollars worth of tickets since its a 10 dollar ticket.

5) If I go buy 200 dollars in 1 dollar tickets of 2 different kinds (100 each), I will win close to 100 dollars if not almost 200 dollars back or more. By the time I'm down, I'll have got over 100 dollars in free play from winners. I'll have played over 200 dollars in tickets, but only 100 came out of my pocket.

i'll video tape it if you want to argue about it, or find someone else to test it and video tape it. i dont care where you live or what ticket it is.

United States
                            Member #56608
                            November 26, 2007
                            39 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

maybe on a good day that might happen but what if you bought three tickets in a row and they were winners somebody else comes in behind you and buys 20 tickets off the roll you just won on and their 20 tickets didn't win squat./ Don't believe for a minute that the odds of 1 in 4 are correct.

You could by a roll of tickets say 100 dollars worth and only win 20 bucks total.

Scratch offs aren't made to make people money they are designed to make the state money the few winners are a tease to get you to buy more thinking that if you just won a few bucks that the big money winner will come off that book/roll.

In fact on many big time scratch tickets with huge top prizes they might print 100 million or more tickets with only 4 top prize winners.

False.

Proof: You will never buy 20 tickets in a row and not get at least 5 dollars in winnings.

I'll paypal you 20 dollars if you can prove it by video taping yourself buying 20 1 dollars tickets and not getting at least $4 to $10 in winnings.

...scratch that, if I see a tape of you scratching 20 dollars of the same ticket and you don't win at least 5 dollars, i'll paypayl you 30 dollars for your effort.

i dare you.

double dare you.

double triple dare you. 

United States
                              Member #56608
                              November 26, 2007
                              39 Posts
                              Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

False.

Proof: You will never buy 20 tickets in a row and not get at least 5 dollars in winnings.

I'll paypal you 20 dollars if you can prove it by video taping yourself buying 20 1 dollars tickets and not getting at least $4 to $10 in winnings.

...scratch that, if I see a tape of you scratching 20 dollars of the same ticket and you don't win at least 5 dollars, i'll paypayl you 30 dollars for your effort.

i dare you.

double dare you.

double triple dare you. 

$30 up for grabs to the first person who  buy 20 of a 1 dollar ticket and doesn't get at least 5 dollars in winnings - video tape required.

$40 to someone who scatched 20 1 dollar tickets with NO WINNER at all.

$60 to someone who buys 15 of a ten dollar ticket and doesn't get a winner.

it won't happen, watch.