Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:53 am
You last visited July 23, 2014, 3:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Getting new balls

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 7 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bay Minette
United States
Member #57121
December 18, 2007
68 Posts
Posted: December 28, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I seen one post somewhere here that was interesting. And it was about how it was possible that a lottery machine and balls are replaced with new ones every once in a while to throw off any smart number pickers. Is this possible? and is it regularly done? And would it make a difference? If new balls are put into the machine or a new machine (or) a new person operator...would it have an effect on past drawings? Would it cause all to (go from square 1) and you can throw out all hot/cold and due numbers? For instance the Florida fantasy 5 lotto right now has 3 numbers that are (cold) by 30 + days and 2 that are in the 20 days cold.. Plus there have been (7) repeats in a row. I have not seen much of this ever happen before and I have a record of numbers for up to 6 years of drawings and have studied them  and something ain't right  and do not compare to past phenomenon

Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3326 Posts
    Posted: December 28, 2007, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes they do replace ballsets every so often, how often varies with the lottery.  I believe it does make a difference the first several draws but as the ballset is used more it becomes subject to "number affinities" and "traveling numbers" both of which no lottery has ever been able to successfully control.

Good luck to everyone!

United States
      Member #10720
      January 23, 2005
      932 Posts
      Posted: December 28, 2007, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Ballset switching is most common in Pick3 or Pick4 games but virtually every Lottery does this (what's worse, computerized drawings?) In PA I read they have a senior citizen randomly pick a ballset for the Evening drawing (Midday is computerized) and on games like Powerball or Mega they not only switch entire ballsets every few months but each drawing one of the current sets is picked using some kind of <cringe> RNG or secret drawing. Not only balls get switched but machines also! I still do better on regular ball drawings than computerized drawings, even ones with heavy switching. As far as a person "operating" it, mostly it seems to be done remotely and the host/hostess only announcing the numbers, only rarely touching anything if there is some malfunction. Also maybe that's why they say include "cold" numbers, in the next ballset they might not be so cold! Make your algorithm so that it looks for such things.

The problem is, the Lottery wants it to be fair to everyone, that your IQ doesn't increase your chance to win (maybe on the Stock Market it favors higher IQ?) so they try to make it as much random as possible... the problem there being that under fair conditions on average every dollar you play you'll only return 50cents, and if everyone played randomly it would only be worth it on big jackpots where one win could change your life.

Bay Minette
        United States
        Member #57121
        December 18, 2007
        68 Posts
        Posted: December 29, 2007, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Thanks, So it is true. I was about to go join the mystical forum,as I knew if I made this post it would force one of the 30 something day F5 (cold) numbers to come up-and sure enough one did tonight. Might be a combination of smart and forced faith.Thanks for the algorithym so it looks for such things but still its like a soldier walking around and trying to duck from a sniper 2 miles away if you have no clue when they will change things but now I have at least a new lead on what to try and look for.Thankz

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4457 Posts
          Posted: December 29, 2007, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Yes, they do as others have above indicated.  The lottery claims that it is to make the game fair and random. Then they carefully weigh and measure the balls and in Florida they conduct pre-tests too.  Some LP members disagree with me that this has an effect on the outcome, but it bothers me that there are 5 drawings we never see before the televised drawing.  I think some states like Texas list the pre-draw results. Maybe it's better that I don't know! 

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            7821 Posts
            Posted: December 29, 2007, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Most lotteries change the balls regularly if not for every drawing. Meaning the set they use today they might not be use again for 2 or 3 days depending on how they select the balls for each drawing. If they have seven sets of balls and they use some method to select the balls then it could be anyone of the seven sets of balls. Of course it all depends on how many ball sets they have in stock.

They could also on any given day during a calibration session take balls form one set and place them in another set and vice versa. Each individual state has their own methods and might share that info with other states.

The way i understand it here in Maryland is they use a computer to select which ball sets and machines will be used for every drawing. But who's to say they use the same method to select the balls they can tell people anything they want that doesn't mean they have to adhere to any particular method to select the balls.

I wish they used the same set of balls for every drawing until the balls were worn out.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4457 Posts
              Posted: December 29, 2007, 1:13 am - IP Logged

"I wish they used the same set of balls for every drawing until the balls were worn out."

I agree with you four4me.  I guess they can always say it prevents someone from tampering with the balls.  I guess in Florida you could say someone might Tampa with them. Jester

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                2890 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2007, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Some years back the Florida lottery told me they destroy the old ballsets for the Pick-6 every 4 years, the Pick-5 every 3 years and the Pick-3/4 balls every two years. 

The only problem with asking for this information is the person at the lottery will often tell you they just changed the balls last draw refering to the rotation of ballsets not their replacement, so the answer is suspect if too recent.

I did conduct a study and found the hot, average and cold balls from the first year remained hot, average and cold for the remaining four and about two thirds suddenly changed when the ballsets were replaced. 

When they change out the ballsets it's a good time to try wheeling random numbers for the next ten draws. 

They do conduct test draws.  You just have to take available draws as random sub-samples of the lottery number universe rather then as a series of events.  What's important is how many numbers come from from the hot, average and cold positions to form new combinations.   

BobP

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: December 29, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

Powerball has not changed the Red Ballset since March 2006, or the White Ballset since August 2005, and as random as the numbers have been for the last six months, they don't need to.

FYI they have four different ballsets of each that they rotate every drawing, and four or six different machines they rotate between every drawing night as well.

They do not announce which ballset or machine they will use until the ticket machines are shut down prior to the drawing. 

FWIW I have paid VERY CLOSE attention to the drawings per machine/ballset, and I just don't see ANY tendencies towards any particular numbers hitting (or not) based on ballset/machine.  I wish I did, but I don't.

BobP - I kinda concur with you - the one thing I have noticed is if one number has hit 7 times with one ballset, it might drop to 2 times with the new ballset, and a number that has hit 2 times with one ballset might hit 7 times with the new one, BUT: for the most part, I see numbers that have hit 4 or 5 times with one ballset usually hitting 4-5 times with the new ballset as well.  The latter is more accurate than the former in this paragraph.  I don't see anything predictable.  If anyone has, please share or PM me, and I will go look at my extensive charts. 

Oh - and one last PS - if you DID find a number that is predictable, that is only ONE number, you still have to get all the others right. 

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: December 29, 2007, 4:38 am - IP Logged

I had new ones everytime i was coming down a hill in a 80,000 pound Semi on black ice......lol EVERYTIME !

No corruption here !

Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3326 Posts
                      Posted: December 29, 2007, 8:19 am - IP Logged

I had new ones everytime i was coming down a hill in a 80,000 pound Semi on black ice......lol EVERYTIME !

No corruption here !

Good one Pac!!!!!!!  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL

_______ 

For anyone interested, Georgia has a pool of 16 ballsets they use for both Cash 3 and Cash 4 drawings which is why I've posted several times you have to look at both games to see trending numbers and probable combinations.

Also believe they have 8 ballsets they rotate through for Fantasy 5

Good luck to everyone!