Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:14 pm
You last visited July 30, 2014, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NYS lotto Scratch off's (DIRTY SECRET) information that is not revealed to the public-SCAM OR NOT?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 6 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
51 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2008, 1:37 am - IP Logged
If you play NYS lotto scratch off's, than you need to read this information. If you play other states instant scratch off games you may want to question that states policy, as I have done with NYS lotto.

First off, it took me a very long time to get this answer. I had sent numerous letters from my friend and I under the freedom of information act to get my questions answered. I had to finally go on a major letter writing campaign and literally write to every single NYS Assemblyman and Senator to finally have my questions answered. NYS lotto responded by sending a letter to every single Assemblyman and Senator pretty much calling me a pain in the ass but was forced to answer my questions. Here goes:

NYS lotto distributes books of scratch off's to any retailer that gets a NYS lotto Lic. to sell Lotto products. Some retailers that have very large volume may get a larger quantity of books and have them displayed. I started to see a lot of retailers closing or selling their business in the last few years. More than usual I have to admit and I wanted to know what happens to the opened books of scratch off's. When I first asked this question to Lotto they answered it by using examples of unopened books of scratch off's. This was not my question but they thought I would go away if they just answered in riddles rather than give me a straight answer.

So when I went on my writing campaign I again asked what happens to all the OPENED books of scratch off's that are not sold after the store goes out of business or sells their business, (when a business sells they have to give up their lotto lic and the new owners have to reapply and all these books are destroyed) I was finally told the truth. The unopened books go back to NYS lotto and redistributed to the retailers, at least that is what they told me. But what really concerned me was what happens to the opened books of scratch off's. IF a retailer is very big and for example they have 10 opened books of "Set for Life" in their bins opened and selling they ALL get destroyed.

Now this may not be a big issue for some people but here in NY, when retailers open and close or sell every day it starts to add up. Thousands of scratch off tickets are getting destroyed and if they have winning tickets we will never know nor will anyone ever win that prize. If a scratch off has 3 top prizes and the retailer that went out of business or sells, had that ticket in their stock now that winning ticket gets destroyed and there are only 2 top prizes available and if those 2 tops prizes get claimed that game will continue to sell because they are waiting for the final remaining top prize to get claimed but it can't get claimed because it got destroyed and so NYS Lotto gets to sell that game to the public with the idea that there is still 1 more top prize left but that particular top prize was destroyed when the retailer went out of business or sold so it can never be claimed, This is really unfair when you start to think about it.

Technically Lotto has to stop selling a game when all top prizes are claimed. But if retailers that go out of business or sell have their opened books destroyed, we the public will keep buying that particular game thinking there is still another prize left, but in reality it was destroyed and we are really buying on false hopes.

I asked lotto why this policy is in place. They would not answer my question. I asked why opened books cannot be put back into another retailer or even better why lotto themselves do not sell the opened books of scratch off's that otherwise would not be sold, or put them into their machines, so that we have a fair chance of buying these books, they told me it was too much work. I really believe that this is how NYS makes more money and deceives the public legally and they can keep selling these games until whenever they want to whether there is a top prize available or not, unless all the top prizes are truly claimed. This is really unfair. Especially when someone like me played regularly and loved to play, until I found out recently about this little dirty secret.  

In NY, where real estate is climbing to record heights in rents, stores cannot stay in business anymore. So Lotto is making a fortune by being able to destroy thousands of scratch off's a month and they deceive us into thinking there is still a winner left, when in fact, it was destroyed because of this stupid policy.

I think that people need to question this policy and ask for changes in the law so that we have a fair advantage in winning. If more people start asking questions they will be forced to admit that this gives an unfair disadvantage to the public and they get to destroy tickets. (For example, there is a store on Liberty Ave in Richmond Hill, that has 10 books opened for the top 5 selling games and than has 3 books opened for the rest of all the scratch off games. That starts to calculate into thousands of books in that one store when he either goes out of business or sells his business.

I want to know what other lotto players think about this law and I want to know if there is enough people that do not like this policy for me to go further with this dirty secret. I would like to know if you find this a major hindrance into your buying these scratch off's now that you know this secret. Some games have been going on for very long times with the same amount of top prizes left and I wonder of they got destroyed and just keep selling the game until they sell out all the tickets that were printed. This really does leave a lot of room for corruption not in stealing but in selling a game with the idea that the top prize is out there when in reality it probably got destroyed when a business went out or sold its business.

Do you think this is a problem in the system and should it be changed? I want to know what people think. thank you for your time and I am sorry I went on too long but I wanted to make sure that you understood the problem in the best way I could explain it so that there was no confusion in this whole concept.

Sam-Ozone Park Queens.
    four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    7825 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:28 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you might have another class action law suit.

In your case they are destroying unsold tickets regardless of the fact that there are prizes left in those unused books. If thats there policy then what could be done to change that practice. If it's in their charter or bylaws to do so what can be done to stop that.

Who knows! you might need to contact the comptrollers office or the state board of ethics if you have one...........or the lieutenant Governor. Tell them what the lottery is doing maybe they will act upon it maybe not.

Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
      Member #55821
      October 21, 2007
      160 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Hey Sam

I noticed a dsimilar "dirty little secret" in the Georgia Lottery, but I got tired of writing and asking questions and getting no answers.  Not to bore you with details, but my concern was this.  When a small town of 1,000folks have 10 big stratch off winners in a month's time or less,  something  is wrong.   I would go to the winners circle on line where they post the winners of the large scratch -off which tell where they live (city)and the store where the ticket was purchased.  After I noticed a pattern, I actullay got out a map, and plotted where the big winners of the sc-offs were( using the district offices as the central location)  I ws amazed.  Like I said I wont bore you, but if a city the size of Atlanta, has a small percentage of big scrt. off winners, and a town cal zepiddah, ga can have 4  1 million dollar winners something at right.   The conclusion I came is,  the lottery commisson know where the winning tickets are going.  there is a record.  In fact i read somewhere on this post where  people were indicted when someone in the lottery commm mistakely faxed  the information of the winning scratch off tickets to a a location and it was received by two men, they went a purchsed all the tickets for that particular game from that retailer and won the big prize...... i think it was a million dollars.     

Bottom line, and i sorry to bore you, but I belive there is a list of winning stratrch off tickets and where they ar sent.  So lotterycommission knew in your case that those opened packs  had no big winners.   I just wanted to share this info with you.  I have a real job and did not have the stamina or time to keep writing the Ga. Lottery commision, but I don't play as much and want to commend you or your effort, you might get noticed.

take care

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
        Pelham NY
        United States
        Member #60411
        April 16, 2008
        169 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Way to go Sam The lottery preys upon peoples stupidity/ignorance, if they would just stop buying scratchers they are such a sucker bet!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          4574 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2008, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Way to go Sam The lottery preys upon peoples stupidity/ignorance, if they would just stop buying scratchers they are such a sucker bet!

I don't think geos*5666! feels that way.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2733 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2008, 2:39 am - IP Logged

If that's the truth, then the lottery should maybe give the new owner some time (a month or so) before they have to aply for the new license, but stop shipping out instant tickets to the retailer, and take back any unopened packs.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

ozone park
              United States
              Member #57042
              December 15, 2007
              51 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2008, 8:14 pm - IP Logged
              I would not give up. You need to keep writing letters. No matter what, they have to read and answer each letter. Not only that but, if there ever is a scandal about what you are saying to be true, you will be able to claim the credit for revealing this and for the state hiding the information they received from you. And if their ever is a class action suit that reads into your allegation you will be able to sign on. The biggest reason is that you are alerting the politicians and letting them know the truth. You never know when one of these politicians will want to make a campaign issue out of what you are saying. As probable as it is, not to happen, I still would keep writing if I were you.

Anyone that plays scratch-off's should be appalled by these little dirty secrets that are not known. I am not sure if lotto knows where the winning tickets are going to after they are printed. It is probably likely more than not, that they do know where the winning tickets are going to but it is probably just with certain people and very few in the lotto industry know. They are probably screened for family and friends names and addresses and they are probably bonded and could face life in federal jail if they ever did anything to make the lotto not credible. Lotto works on the trust of the people. In other words if people did not have faith in their states lottery they would not play and therefore each state does whatever it can to make the lotto fair.

But if in your case in GA you should be contacting the newspapers also because that seems very suspicious that so many people won in one town on scratch off's that sounds to me that there was a computer glitch when they printed the tickets and X amount of winning tickets were printed in consecutive order that caused so many people to win in one town. Lotto may not admit it to you but your letter could cause an internal investigation that will help disclose these lotto secrets that only you may have picked up on.

All I want is for lotto to be fair and equal for everyone and no advantage curving one way or the other.
                MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                Pelham NY
                United States
                Member #60411
                April 16, 2008
                169 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2008, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

How's Vinnie Vella's lawsuit going??

United States
                  Member #64438
                  August 28, 2008
                  1 Posts
                  Posted: August 28, 2008, 3:15 am - IP Logged

Hey Sam,

As you may already know, New York State introduces two new instant games per month.  When they are first introduced, there are typically lots of winning tickets - their way of luring you in to play for the long term - trying to strike it rich on a big jackpot.  Your best bet is to only play the new games for a few weeks, then stop playing them until the next big thing comes along!! 

Most of us don't play expecting to win the big prize - a $50 or a $100 every once in a while sure is nice - the biggest prize we ever hit (my husband and I) was for $2,500 about 7 or 8 years ago, although we have likely spent close to 5 times that amount.  personally I am addicted to the Purple Double Triple Cashwords and Bingo Doubler. If their is ever a class-action suit as a result of their dirty little secret, I'll be right there with my losing tickets ready to collect!!

Be well and Good Luck!

Bingo Bonnie

Idesire$'s avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                    Ellenwood,Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #60512
                    April 21, 2008
                    471 Posts
                    Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:46 am - IP Logged

This is a problem in many states you just open my eyes a lil bit more wider than before. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      17740 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2008, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

When a state comes out with a scratch-off game, it's depending on selling all or most of the tickets to make a profit.  It the major prizes are sold early in the game then I don't expect them to stop selling the remaining tickets regardless of what they have promised, other wise they would have to have a way to make sure that doesn't happen and that would mean the games aren't random.

* you don't need more tickets * 
                      * just the right ticket * 
                         Wink 

Bucks
                        United States
                        Member #62434
                        June 27, 2008
                        7 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2008, 6:22 am - IP Logged

I don't think people want to think too much about this, otherwise they'd be mourning the loss of all that money they spent in vain.

But, like you, I've given it quite a bit of thought and come to the conclusion that if it's meant to be (winning, that is) then it's going to happen despite these elusive odds.

Now I am wondering about something else, since you raised the issue of retailers and their opened books of tickets.   When a retailer first accepts the books of tickets, does he have the option of buying some of the books outright and, essentially, becomes a reseller when he sells the tickets from that book to customers?   If this is the case, then even if a retailer goes out of business, those unopened books are his for the taking and he can take them and do what he wants with them, no?   

I suppose I'm splitting hairs with that question.   My last query, though, is more straightforward:  I hadn't been aware there were so many fly-by-night operations in NY, especially ones that sold lottery tickets, but I guess it does seem logical given a state that size and when you consider Manhattan alone. 

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2008, 9:00 pm - IP Logged
                          If you play NYS lotto scratch off's, than you need to read this information. If you play other states instant scratch off games you may want to question that states policy, as I have done with NYS lotto.

First off, it took me a very long time to get this answer. I had sent numerous letters from my friend and I under the freedom of information act to get my questions answered. I had to finally go on a major letter writing campaign and literally write to every single NYS Assemblyman and Senator to finally have my questions answered. NYS lotto responded by sending a letter to every single Assemblyman and Senator pretty much calling me a pain in the ass but was forced to answer my questions. Here goes:

NYS lotto distributes books of scratch off's to any retailer that gets a NYS lotto Lic. to sell Lotto products. Some retailers that have very large volume may get a larger quantity of books and have them displayed. I started to see a lot of retailers closing or selling their business in the last few years. More than usual I have to admit and I wanted to know what happens to the opened books of scratch off's. When I first asked this question to Lotto they answered it by using examples of unopened books of scratch off's. This was not my question but they thought I would go away if they just answered in riddles rather than give me a straight answer.

So when I went on my writing campaign I again asked what happens to all the OPENED books of scratch off's that are not sold after the store goes out of business or sells their business, (when a business sells they have to give up their lotto lic and the new owners have to reapply and all these books are destroyed) I was finally told the truth. The unopened books go back to NYS lotto and redistributed to the retailers, at least that is what they told me. But what really concerned me was what happens to the opened books of scratch off's. IF a retailer is very big and for example they have 10 opened books of "Set for Life" in their bins opened and selling they ALL get destroyed.

Now this may not be a big issue for some people but here in NY, when retailers open and close or sell every day it starts to add up. Thousands of scratch off tickets are getting destroyed and if they have winning tickets we will never know nor will anyone ever win that prize. If a scratch off has 3 top prizes and the retailer that went out of business or sells, had that ticket in their stock now that winning ticket gets destroyed and there are only 2 top prizes available and if those 2 tops prizes get claimed that game will continue to sell because they are waiting for the final remaining top prize to get claimed but it can't get claimed because it got destroyed and so NYS Lotto gets to sell that game to the public with the idea that there is still 1 more top prize left but that particular top prize was destroyed when the retailer went out of business or sold so it can never be claimed, This is really unfair when you start to think about it.

Technically Lotto has to stop selling a game when all top prizes are claimed. But if retailers that go out of business or sell have their opened books destroyed, we the public will keep buying that particular game thinking there is still another prize left, but in reality it was destroyed and we are really buying on false hopes.

I asked lotto why this policy is in place. They would not answer my question. I asked why opened books cannot be put back into another retailer or even better why lotto themselves do not sell the opened books of scratch off's that otherwise would not be sold, or put them into their machines, so that we have a fair chance of buying these books, they told me it was too much work. I really believe that this is how NYS makes more money and deceives the public legally and they can keep selling these games until whenever they want to whether there is a top prize available or not, unless all the top prizes are truly claimed. This is really unfair. Especially when someone like me played regularly and loved to play, until I found out recently about this little dirty secret.  

In NY, where real estate is climbing to record heights in rents, stores cannot stay in business anymore. So Lotto is making a fortune by being able to destroy thousands of scratch off's a month and they deceive us into thinking there is still a winner left, when in fact, it was destroyed because of this stupid policy.

I think that people need to question this policy and ask for changes in the law so that we have a fair advantage in winning. If more people start asking questions they will be forced to admit that this gives an unfair disadvantage to the public and they get to destroy tickets. (For example, there is a store on Liberty Ave in Richmond Hill, that has 10 books opened for the top 5 selling games and than has 3 books opened for the rest of all the scratch off games. That starts to calculate into thousands of books in that one store when he either goes out of business or sells his business.

I want to know what other lotto players think about this law and I want to know if there is enough people that do not like this policy for me to go further with this dirty secret. I would like to know if you find this a major hindrance into your buying these scratch off's now that you know this secret. Some games have been going on for very long times with the same amount of top prizes left and I wonder of they got destroyed and just keep selling the game until they sell out all the tickets that were printed. This really does leave a lot of room for corruption not in stealing but in selling a game with the idea that the top prize is out there when in reality it probably got destroyed when a business went out or sold its business.

Do you think this is a problem in the system and should it be changed? I want to know what people think. thank you for your time and I am sorry I went on too long but I wanted to make sure that you understood the problem in the best way I could explain it so that there was no confusion in this whole concept.

Sam-Ozone Park Queens.

Why don't you write to a news network like abc or nbc or CNN and tell them this secret, see if you get notice...I think that's the best course of action...But is better if you call them because if you email them you may not get any answer...Keep on insisting on the phone on CNN see if you get notice...

Maybe if the state lottery allows those books to be burnt them THEY maybe know where each winning scratchoff ticket is located even though when you are talking about a store closing is a big bet/chance they are taking...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨