Welcome Guest
You last visited November 29, 2014, 2:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can lottery numbers be predicted?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 6 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2008, 12:24 am - IP Logged

To a degree at all?

The reason I ask is because it came up the other day on here.

If it cannot be predicted, what is the point in websites such as these, if winning the lottery is 100% luck and not based on careful observation and analysis?

I still believe that, fundamentally, one may be able to predict what numbers will be drawn, but never with 100% certainty. But to some extent by analyzing patterns and tracking drawing picks one may approach (but never actually hit) the holy grail of absolute certainty.

Just my two cents in the matter.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    7910 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2008, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Since the odds are stacked in the lottery's favor lots of people go to great lengths to try and predict the out come of a drawing. Pick 3 and 4 drawings have some variables that make it possible to come up with a group of numbers that might win.

Pick 5 and 6 games while considerably harder to predict the numbers that might win present a challenge to many folks who think that they have devised a system that just might make a win possible.

Wheeling certain numbers just might win a jackpot game if the wheel contains all the numbers drawn and you played the right lines.

As in any form of gambling people will try anything to predict a win.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      18034 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2008, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Players predict lottery numbers all the time and odds are they are wrong most of those times.  I do think strategies can be developed that improve the odds of one being right because all lotteries have fixed amounts of possible outcomes and winning combinations seldom repeat. 

With jackpot games, it's unlikely a player would ever spend as much in a life time as he could win if he was right and won a jackpot one time so it just make sense if one is going to play to develop a strategy for picking numbers.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
      * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
           Wink 

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
        Raleigh
        United States
        Member #49057
        January 17, 2007
        171 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2008, 9:28 am - IP Logged

I don't think this question can be answered with certainty.

Lets say you have a system that is 10% more likely to win than someone with no system.

How are you going to see/prove those results?

It would take millions of drawings to prove the system was winning more than normal.

I only play jackpot games. I have won more money from the lotty than I have lost. Does that mean I have a working system, or does that mean I am a statistical anomaly?

Even if my "system" was two or three time as likely to win as norm, it would take a very very long time to win a jackpot.

The lottery keeps half the prizes, and taxes take another quarter, meaning me you would need a system that won at least 300% more than the norm, just to break even. Lots of people out there might do something that gives them an edge, but that much of an edge? Unlikely.

The nice thing about jackpot games is that the prizes vary, and with that, they expected value of a ticket rises as the jackpot goes up, which means if you think you have a pretty good edge, and then the prizes get very high, you might just get to the point where you are buying tickets with a positive expected return, instead of an expected loss.

All that said, I might just be crazy. :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          18034 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2008, 11:16 am - IP Logged

It's not hard to prove to yourself that your system is giving you an advantage.

When your system pick a certain amount of lines to play, pick an equal amount of lines using a RNG like the one here at LP.  If after several times of doing this your system doesn't do better than the RNG, then it's obvious your system isn't giving you an advantage.

I would want to do this for 10-20 drawings before coming to a final conclusion.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
          * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
               Wink 

kjs703's avatar - batman08
            Alexandria,VA
            United States
            Member #51062
            March 26, 2007
            367 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2008, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Here is a quick story about a prediction for last night's drawing. (and if I hadn't already trashed the ticket - I would scan it to show it)

Last night while fueling, I decided to purchase a five dollar quick pick ....

I entered the store and the poor clerk was being screamed at by an older lady, saying she wanted another ticket cause they (the store?) had produced a ticket that could not possibly win.  The clerk ran another five dollar ticket for her and she stormed out.  I told the clerk I would purchase her five dollar quick pick, plus I wanted one of my own.

Any rate I cannot remember all the numbers (and I already trashed the ticket) … the interesting part was that

Every MEGA Ball for those five lines were a “1” or a “3” ---- I believe it was 1, 3, 1, 1, 3 …. I remember saying to myself at the time – watch the Mega Ball be “2”  -- and it happen to be “2” last night --- did I “predict” the Mega Ball?

I never purchased another ticket with the “2” for Mega – but I did – believe it was a possible number, which turned out true…..

Any rate back the ticket the lady did not want…..

One line  had    22, 23, 25, 27, 29

Another had    23, 28, 31, 33, 36

And a third line had  48, 49, 50, 52, 56

Now, besides the repeating MEGA Ball --- the odd fact about this ticket was that it did contain every number in last nights drawing --  granted not on the same row – nor even three on the same row … but ever number was on that ticket.

So this ticket I purchase won – no money – after the lady “predicted” that it would not……

So was she right to refuse the ticket?

United Kingdom
              Member #57145
              December 19, 2007
              31 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

No they can't, even with my time machine.

I hopped into my time machine when one week into the future wrote down the winning lotto numbers when't back to present day to play those numbers but the winning result was different.

Somthing must of changed, maby the draw was taken a nano second earlier or later and changed the results.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                5610 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Here is a quick story about a prediction for last night's drawing. (and if I hadn't already trashed the ticket - I would scan it to show it)

Last night while fueling, I decided to purchase a five dollar quick pick ....

I entered the store and the poor clerk was being screamed at by an older lady, saying she wanted another ticket cause they (the store?) had produced a ticket that could not possibly win.  The clerk ran another five dollar ticket for her and she stormed out.  I told the clerk I would purchase her five dollar quick pick, plus I wanted one of my own.

Any rate I cannot remember all the numbers (and I already trashed the ticket) … the interesting part was that

Every MEGA Ball for those five lines were a “1” or a “3” ---- I believe it was 1, 3, 1, 1, 3 …. I remember saying to myself at the time – watch the Mega Ball be “2”  -- and it happen to be “2” last night --- did I “predict” the Mega Ball?

I never purchased another ticket with the “2” for Mega – but I did – believe it was a possible number, which turned out true…..

Any rate back the ticket the lady did not want…..

One line  had    22, 23, 25, 27, 29

Another had    23, 28, 31, 33, 36

And a third line had  48, 49, 50, 52, 56

Now, besides the repeating MEGA Ball --- the odd fact about this ticket was that it did contain every number in last nights drawing --  granted not on the same row – nor even three on the same row … but ever number was on that ticket.

So this ticket I purchase won – no money – after the lady “predicted” that it would not……

So was she right to refuse the ticket?

In Ohio they have signs saying Mega Millions tickets cannot be canceled, but I have no idea what happens if a player refuses to take them.  If Virginia has the same rule, the clerk made a mistake in printing another 5 tickets because the lady could have refused them too and asked for a third set. Some stores know other players will purchase that ticket and simply print another ticket and other stores might refuse to print her another ticket until they sell the first one. 

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                  Raleigh
                  United States
                  Member #49057
                  January 17, 2007
                  171 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2008, 1:07 am - IP Logged

It's not hard to prove to yourself that your system is giving you an advantage.

When your system pick a certain amount of lines to play, pick an equal amount of lines using a RNG like the one here at LP.  If after several times of doing this your system doesn't do better than the RNG, then it's obvious your system isn't giving you an advantage.

I would want to do this for 10-20 drawings before coming to a final conclusion.

I guess that is a matter of opinion depending on what you consider satisfactory proof.

I have far exceeded the predicted win rate for the last 2 years in Powerball. I seem to do very very well with white balls, and normal with the powerball. 2 years may seem like a lot to a person, but in the grand scheme of things, when dealing with such vast odds, it does not prove anything from a hard statistics perspective.

Northern Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #63551
                    August 1, 2008
                    203 Posts
                    Posted: September 11, 2008, 1:45 am - IP Logged

I guess that is a matter of opinion depending on what you consider satisfactory proof.

I have far exceeded the predicted win rate for the last 2 years in Powerball. I seem to do very very well with white balls, and normal with the powerball. 2 years may seem like a lot to a person, but in the grand scheme of things, when dealing with such vast odds, it does not prove anything from a hard statistics perspective.

Agreed. Playing MegaMillions, I hit 3+1 every 30 drawings or so...and 2+1, 1+1 and 0+1 quite a bit more often. My problem remainst the 3+1 "threshold". I can't just seem to ever hit over that. I've been playing for three years and regularly (i.e. every drawing) for well over a year. Still working on it...

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                      Washington *state*
                      United States
                      Member #62009
                      June 14, 2008
                      192 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2008, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Predicting numbers? Well....myself...I choose to think if one "thinks" this number will hit, or that mega ball will hit based on being "due" is just maybe strange luck mixed with alittle prediction from yourself.  They can sometimes pay off.  What if you were writing down your choices on the self pick sheet ,   your just about to fill in the 5 something tells you 8...pick 8!  Predictions? Inner voice? Your deceased great aunt Violet  telling you the numbers?  Who knows.  I want to believe its just a coincidence, but ya just never know.  Everyone wants to think that they can predict the numbers based on whatever.  Even me!  I've tried them all ( I think) and I'm still not a winner :(  But I do come pretty close "predicting" numbers right off the top of my head before heading to the store.

I ran to the store to buy a Match4 ticket the other day.  I sat down and was thinking up some numbers right off the top of my head.

I choose these  12-14-16-20

When I held up my picks, I thought I needed a one smaller number so with only the light of my computer screen, I grabbed my pen and for some reason scratched out the 1 in the 14...making it now 12-4-16-20.  I thought oops! I meant to scratch the 1 off the 12 to make my choices 2-14-16-20.  For a split second I was thinking  ahhh just scratch the 1 off the 12 too.  Why did my pen go to the 14 when I meant to change the 12? I thought it must be a sign..somethings trying to tell me something.  BUT!!!! AGAIN!!! NOT LISTENING TO MYSELF .........I decided to go with what I was going to do in the first place and just scratch off the 1 on the 12 for a final ticket of 2,14,16,20.  What did I get for not listening?  I could of won $20.00! Not alot.  But it would of made me really, really happy.  But yet alittle peeved because if I did just scratch the 1 off both numbers, I would of only been off by 1 number for the $10,000 win.

Numbers drawn  2,4,16,19 I won nothing.

I'd go with your own inner predictions.  Dumb luck or not..I think they do work to some extent.

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                        San Angelo, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #1097
                        January 31, 2003
                        1107 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2008, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Playing the lottery is my main form of entertainment. But, I  can't spend $100 a day like some of the LP folks say they do. My pockets are shallow!

It would be easy to be one of the "$1 and a phone number" pool players, but no fun in that. 

I could buy quick picks, but, that wouldn't be fun, either. Just a lot of frustration.

I've always keep lottery statistics. Wasted lot of time in the early days because I didn't know what I was doing.

Well, one day I came up with a strategy, called Gap Strategy, that allows me to examine a lottery game down to its roots.
                        I developed workouts where I use winning numbers to generate other numbers for play. It's not an easy task, but, as they say - no pain, no gain.

I'm not in the number 'prediction' business, per se. I don't believe it's possible for anyone to know what the winning numbers
                        will be until the drawing is complete. 

What I do is use various data streams to generate an even set of numbers that might match some,  if not all, of the numbers that are in the next winning combintion. Sometimes I guess right, most times I guess wrong. But, win or lose, I bear the burden.

One day I'll get it all lined up and have the means to finance one hell of a celebration. 

Until then, I'll use whatever time is necessary to do keep my data logs current and stay in the game. 

Denmark
                          Member #54508
                          August 21, 2007
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: September 11, 2008, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

To a degree at all?

The reason I ask is because it came up the other day on here.

If it cannot be predicted, what is the point in websites such as these, if winning the lottery is 100% luck and not based on careful observation and analysis?

I still believe that, fundamentally, one may be able to predict what numbers will be drawn, but never with 100% certainty. But to some extent by analyzing patterns and tracking drawing picks one may approach (but never actually hit) the holy grail of absolute certainty.

Just my two cents in the matter.

Well thousands of apples fell and no one thought of gravity, but when it fell on newtons head, he was thrashed by his mum bitterly ... i from the age of 4 my mum says i did nothing but turning the 12 pages of a calender for 2 years, and this all this child wanted to do, however after two years of day and night seeing 30 numbers and 31 numbers on the 12 pages of a calender i am in Bombay India, I under the age of 7 I was kidnapped into USA by my neighbours in Bombay half of them settled in the USA, they kidnapped me after they realised I can pinpoint lottery numbers from past draws.  After my wealthy brother (Iam 10th in a family of 12) bought me back in no time to Bombay, I was thrashed and skinned off by my parents never to talk of numbers, just study. I became a marine engg., and Economics Graduate-met with accident at work and disabled.

I got a lumpsum to suffice rest of my life, but then I saw in Denmark-where last 22 years i live, there is lottery- I have personally written to the Danish Lottery Company twice pin pointing soem of the numbers, besides just once I pinpointed all the 6 winning numbers of the Viking lottery Draw to the Danish Police in Albertslund (Foreign Div.)my numbers I told the Police no one can challenge me, they are 100% correct and they will be 7-12-17-22-15-29 these numbers were given to the Police in the year around 1990s

the Police said to me they have never won at all and all poll in and play, I won that day, with my brains. The numbers were correct to the DOT and the Police had played them in their syndicate.  However the Cop played it alone and for some reasons i cant make it too big here, the total winning money wass around DKK 4.5million and he shared with me DKK 500,000.  After this I have never pin-pointed but won in Combos of upto 12 numbers over 1000 times for groups etc-this is my profession today to make all who come and join my membership millions within 5 years for 10% of investment.  Just last month I pinpointed the Singapore lottery numbers for Monday draw numbers 1-4-11-16-21-26-31-37-38 were predicted by me and I advertised these numbers for the whole world to win on eurobet- where for 4 numbers this betting site pays max. US$ 200,000 per adult and over 1000 people won this money the Monday Last Month, although about 80% of them know me and have lost earlier about Max.60% or less.

This is a True Lottery Matter- Because you cnat it does not mean all Cant.  If you come to Denmark-- believe me in 4 months you go back with a million Dollars- jsut like dr. Phil helps couples i will help people sometimes.  steve skype kaitas6

Northern Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #63551
                            August 1, 2008
                            203 Posts
                            Posted: September 12, 2008, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Well thousands of apples fell and no one thought of gravity, but when it fell on newtons head, he was thrashed by his mum bitterly ... i from the age of 4 my mum says i did nothing but turning the 12 pages of a calender for 2 years, and this all this child wanted to do, however after two years of day and night seeing 30 numbers and 31 numbers on the 12 pages of a calender i am in Bombay India, I under the age of 7 I was kidnapped into USA by my neighbours in Bombay half of them settled in the USA, they kidnapped me after they realised I can pinpoint lottery numbers from past draws.  After my wealthy brother (Iam 10th in a family of 12) bought me back in no time to Bombay, I was thrashed and skinned off by my parents never to talk of numbers, just study. I became a marine engg., and Economics Graduate-met with accident at work and disabled.

I got a lumpsum to suffice rest of my life, but then I saw in Denmark-where last 22 years i live, there is lottery- I have personally written to the Danish Lottery Company twice pin pointing soem of the numbers, besides just once I pinpointed all the 6 winning numbers of the Viking lottery Draw to the Danish Police in Albertslund (Foreign Div.)my numbers I told the Police no one can challenge me, they are 100% correct and they will be 7-12-17-22-15-29 these numbers were given to the Police in the year around 1990s

the Police said to me they have never won at all and all poll in and play, I won that day, with my brains. The numbers were correct to the DOT and the Police had played them in their syndicate.  However the Cop played it alone and for some reasons i cant make it too big here, the total winning money wass around DKK 4.5million and he shared with me DKK 500,000.  After this I have never pin-pointed but won in Combos of upto 12 numbers over 1000 times for groups etc-this is my profession today to make all who come and join my membership millions within 5 years for 10% of investment.  Just last month I pinpointed the Singapore lottery numbers for Monday draw numbers 1-4-11-16-21-26-31-37-38 were predicted by me and I advertised these numbers for the whole world to win on eurobet- where for 4 numbers this betting site pays max. US$ 200,000 per adult and over 1000 people won this money the Monday Last Month, although about 80% of them know me and have lost earlier about Max.60% or less.

This is a True Lottery Matter- Because you cnat it does not mean all Cant.  If you come to Denmark-- believe me in 4 months you go back with a million Dollars- jsut like dr. Phil helps couples i will help people sometimes.  steve skype kaitas6

Damn Steve, you've been all over the world...you said at the beginning all you did was turn twelve pages of the calendar seeing 30 and 31 numbers on 12 pages...it seems significant...

And kidnapped...Jesus...from Mumbai no other...all the way here (for a reason I can't make out btw). Must have been rough. At least you got back.

But this is why we're here, I suppose, to help each other. Like Dr Phil if you want to put it that way. I said it before: I'm here to learn from others, but also to teach others what I've learned...

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1841 Posts
                              Posted: September 12, 2008, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I don't think this question can be answered with certainty.

Lets say you have a system that is 10% more likely to win than someone with no system.

It would take millions of drawings to prove the system was winning more than normal.

I only play jackpot games. I have won more money from the lotty than I have lost. Does that mean I have a working system, or does that mean I am a statistical anomaly?

Even if my "system" was two or three time as likely to win as norm, it would take a very very long time to win a jackpot.

The lottery keeps half the prizes, and taxes take another quarter, meaning me you would need a system that won at least 300% more than the norm, just to break even. Lots of people out there might do something that gives them an edge, but that much of an edge? Unlikely.

The nice thing about jackpot games is that the prizes vary, and with that, they expected value of a ticket rises as the jackpot goes up, which means if you think you have a pretty good edge, and then the prizes get very high, you might just get to the point where you are buying tickets with a positive expected return, instead of an expected loss.

All that said, I might just be crazy. :)

You don't have to prove to others your system works. That's the beauty of it. It's the lottery. You only have to prove to yourself that it's working because you're the one who will be walking away with the money.

Gonna win.Big Smile