Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:31 am
You last visited April 19, 2014, 10:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How do you feel about buying a whole roll of tickets?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 5 years ago by switchbladesis.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Raleigh, NC
United States
Member #73285
April 10, 2009
4 Posts
Posted: April 10, 2009, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

In North Carolina, you can find stores that will sell you an entire roll of tickets.  They cost $300 so if you get the $10 tickets, you get 30 tickets.  If you get the $2.00, you get 150 tickets, $5 tickets, you get 60 tickets, and so on.

Today I bought a roll of Lifetime Riches for $300 ($10 tickets so got 30 tickets).  I won back abt $130.00

I am thinking of buying a roll of the $2.00 tickets (160 tickets).  

Does anyone think this is worth it?

Just some background:  The Lifetime Riches ($10) has a winning ration of 1:3.12 & the Winning Fever ($2) has a ratio of 1:4.40.

I've won $100 off the Lifetime but on the Winning Fever, I once won $500 and $100.

Would love some advice.  Thanks!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2009, 11:49 am - IP Logged

My advice DON'T DO IT!!!  Think outside of the box...  Say you buy up all tickets available...  In the end after buying them all you will still be short.  Unless there is a $300 or more winner in the pack you will likely lose money.  You may look at the odds of a particularly high winner in a pack and that will work like buying an individual ticket.  For example...  When you buy a $10 ticket...  You have odds of 1:3...  You buy a loser.  Something every scratcher buyer has done...  Well, say the odds of winning $500 are 1:5 packs....  If you choose the pack that doesn't have the big winner the same emotions are felt...  However, in the end you will feel between 300 times worse if you lose.  If your gut continue to tell you to buy a pack...  It's your money and ultimately your choice...  But play smart!  $2 ticket payoffs are no where near as high as $10.  You will be shooting yourself in the foot by selecting a lower pricce ticket...  I wish you the best of luck.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      7749 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

They might have printed millions of tickets for a particular scratch off game and maybe only ten rolls out of however many rolls come with that scratch game have a top tier winner or second place prize.

Since all the rolls aren't distributed at one time they are spread out over the course of the games starting and ending period there's no telling where the winning tickets are.

Not trying to discourage you but there's literally thousands of rolls and no way to know where the winning roll is. You are better off buying the first 5 to 10 tickets from the beginning, middle, and ending, part of the roll. Since thats where most of the winners are.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1613 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Texas would be an ok state to do this in.  Each pack acutally has a gauranteed amount of winners.  If you look on their website under scratchers each game has an amount that is gauranteed in each pack.  If you are going to buy that many you might as well as buy a roll.  You just have to hope that that is one of the rolls with a top tier prize in it. 

Brad

lilburn ga
          United States
          Member #72035
          March 8, 2009
          10 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2009, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

temptation is there to buy a roll of tickets,but there may not be only a couple of free tickets,I buy the jumbo bucks tickets, I used to get jumbo with $100 or jumbo with $5.00 but now I don't even get a ticket. So this create revenue for the lottery. which increase the boss big bonus at the end of the year. WOW

United States
            Member #10720
            January 23, 2005
            932 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2009, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

I would never do that. I'd like other people not be told "sorry, the game you wanted to try is sold out" unless they have more than 1 roll. Also people rush through the games and often miss winners. Also there is no way to systemize scratch-offs. You might as well be playing computerized draw games! It's more fun to get one at a time once in a while for when you're sitting outside or waiting for the bus etc.

Those "Winning Ratios" are misleading. 1:3.12 means one in approx. 3 tickets wins something, not every $3.12 you spend you get $1, correct? It's often hard to find the information on actual "return" but it's normally around 50c on the dollar. The "Winning Fever" could return more (or same) $ PER $ PLAYED as L. Riches.

North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2009, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

South Carolina puts out the best information on their tickets by far.  On their new $10 ticket "Big Money" has a 76% payout.  This beats their $1 tickets which have payouts at around 55%.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3855 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2009, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Each pack have 1 big prize winner, whatever that is, along with small wins and free tickets. In order to have a best shot at making profit you need to buy a fresh pack, a pack that has been yet activated. When you pay them, they will activate the entire pack through the terminal and you are on your way to scratching madness. This techniques works, but you need to be sure to check the odds (you've done that) of the payout on the game, and the already claimed top prizes. It takes a large bankroll to do this, you'll be making just a little over 100% (cost vs profit) but have a good shot at the grand prize.

Best luck to you, keep us updated.

Talking Rock, GA
                  United States
                  Member #60369
                  April 15, 2008
                  398 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2009, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't know whether to say do it or not.  I know some people who have bought whole rolls and get most of their money back, break even, or actually profit.  I did hear about one person buying a whole roll of $20 tickets to have all 15 of them lose*.

*I'm not sure of all the details.  It is possible they could have missed winners.  It could be possible they're telling me bull crap as well.

I am thinking about buying a whole roll......along with some other buddies of mine, all of which will be recorded as part of a series of YouTube videos.  We came up with the idea to go to a local hot spot that's sold numerous $1000+ winners on $10 and $20 tickets, split the cost and buy a whole roll of $20 World Class Millions, and split the winnings (or possibly let the winnings ride if it's below a certain amount and it's a loss rather than profit....that's come up in discussion about thie idea).  While some people have told us it's a bad idea, we're thinking about doing it just for the kicks (and because we have a little dough to spend ) and to say that we as a group bought a whole roll of tickets for the first time in our lives. Razz (just like some of us which we could hit JUMBO $100 on a $2 Jumbo Bucks Classic ($500 winner) just to say we did it....even if it cost $1000 to get the winner Razz )

If you decide to buy a whole roll, best of luck to ya.  May you hit a $500 or better winner and make a profit. Smile

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Griffin GA
                    United States
                    Member #47482
                    November 6, 2006
                    76 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2009, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Good luck!  Iwatched a man buy and scratch off $20 tickets (22) of them and only won about $80.  He bought a whole new roll of the same tickets and left. 

I have watched him before buy $20 tickets and scratched off $1500's so anything is possible and timing is winning. 

I watched a man come in the store to exchange a $2 jumbo ticket ( won a ticket) for another one and walked out the store $25,000 richer.  Talking about luck.

Buy your roll and Happy Scratching.  I have thught about it myself!

North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2009, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Good luck!  Iwatched a man buy and scratch off $20 tickets (22) of them and only won about $80.  He bought a whole new roll of the same tickets and left. 

I have watched him before buy $20 tickets and scratched off $1500's so anything is possible and timing is winning. 

I watched a man come in the store to exchange a $2 jumbo ticket ( won a ticket) for another one and walked out the store $25,000 richer.  Talking about luck.

Buy your roll and Happy Scratching.  I have thught about it myself!

How did he walk out of the store with $25,000 when the 2nd place prize is only $500???

Talking Rock, GA
                        United States
                        Member #60369
                        April 15, 2008
                        398 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2009, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

How did he walk out of the store with $25,000 when the 2nd place prize is only $500???

I think they meant $50,000. Wink

(Or possibly have gotten it confused with Georgia Jackpot, which is played the same exact way down to the symbol for 5x the prize (JACKPOT rather than JUMBO) -- only difference is the grand prize is $25,000 compared to $50,000 on the $2 Jumbos.  Who knows.)

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          17419 Posts
                          Posted: April 18, 2009, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

The only time I've ever heard of the players coming out ahead during that was a couple of years ago when two players in Indiana had an inside tip about the location of the roll with the jackpot prize.  They got in an argument with the security guard who gave them the information about splitting the prizes which exposed them all and they went to jail.

Overall usually 25% of the tickets have a prize and payout 50% of what they cost to buy, so unless you have an inside tip about the roll or you are very lucky,you're going to lose money.

* Thoses who can, do * 
                          * thoses who can't, just talk *
                          Roll Eyes 

dlg0120's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            dearborn,MI
                            United States
                            Member #68806
                            December 30, 2008
                            3 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2009, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I HEARD THAT the more expensive tickets have the most winnings

if you buy a 2 dollar ticket it may not have any winners

when you buy a 15 dollar ticket or even 20 your odds are better

but be careful

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

GAMBLE SMART!!!

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                              NC
                              United States
                              Member #11741
                              February 23, 2005
                              1232 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2009, 11:29 am - IP Logged

In North Carolina, you can find stores that will sell you an entire roll of tickets.  They cost $300 so if you get the $10 tickets, you get 30 tickets.  If you get the $2.00, you get 150 tickets, $5 tickets, you get 60 tickets, and so on.

Today I bought a roll of Lifetime Riches for $300 ($10 tickets so got 30 tickets).  I won back abt $130.00

I am thinking of buying a roll of the $2.00 tickets (160 tickets).  

Does anyone think this is worth it?

Just some background:  The Lifetime Riches ($10) has a winning ration of 1:3.12 & the Winning Fever ($2) has a ratio of 1:4.40.

I've won $100 off the Lifetime but on the Winning Fever, I once won $500 and $100.

Would love some advice.  Thanks!

It depends on what the odds are to me but in NC I personally wouldn't do it because the odds ratio is terrible here.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM