Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:26 am
You last visited July 31, 2014, 5:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My ticket has a missing bar code.

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
United States
Member #26084
November 14, 2005
199 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2009, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi all, I check in several times a day here, and enjoy reading all the good advice that the members have to offer. However, I have came across a problem that I hope someone can give me some advice on.

Here's the deal, in the past four months or so, I have had this happen two times, in two different towns. I check my MM ticket to find that it has not printed correctly, as in the store needs to change the ink cartridge. The first time, one number, of three on the slip did not fully print. I had to look on my slip to see what the number was. The bar code at the bottom printed fine however. This did not prove to be a problem as I didn't win anything. Then it happened again last night. I look at my MM ticket only to find this time the bar code was almost totally missing for one of my numbers.

My question is, do you think I would have problems redeeming my winnings, if this should prove to be a winning ticket?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2009, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Hi all, I check in several times a day here, and enjoy reading all the good advice that the members have to offer. However, I have came across a problem that I hope someone can give me some advice on.

Here's the deal, in the past four months or so, I have had this happen two times, in two different towns. I check my MM ticket to find that it has not printed correctly, as in the store needs to change the ink cartridge. The first time, one number, of three on the slip did not fully print. I had to look on my slip to see what the number was. The bar code at the bottom printed fine however. This did not prove to be a problem as I didn't win anything. Then it happened again last night. I look at my MM ticket only to find this time the bar code was almost totally missing for one of my numbers.

My question is, do you think I would have problems redeeming my winnings, if this should prove to be a winning ticket?

Yes,I think you will have problems with the barcode missing.Always check your tickets at the time of purchase,if only to see if the correct numbers were printed.Once you leave the counter its to late to request a new ticket.Here in Iowa (I don't know about other states) a ticket can be voided at the time of purchase if their is an error on it,but not a later time.All states have different rules.I'd try to get the ticket voided and replaced.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      17740 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2009, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Most states will only void tickets for local games, you or the store get stuck with bad tickets for multi-state games.  If the terminal didn't print the ticket correctly then it's the store's problem if you don't accept the ticket.

* you don't need more tickets * 
      * just the right ticket * 
         Wink 

United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks MaddMike51 and RJOh for taking the time to answer my post.

I looked around the Texas site, under the FAQ section to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and found the TLC one eight hundred number. I talk to a very nice women there, who said she would get back to me with the answer. This is the e-mail she sent me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the answer for the question you had regarding your Mega Millions ticket. If there is an imprint on the ticket (but no ink) we may be able to read it here at headquarters. You could send it to us at P. O. Box 16630, Austin, TX 78761 and we will see if we can read it. If the bar code is ripped off we would not be able to read it. So my advice to you would be send it in. Remember, always check your ticket before you leave the store.

It was my pleasure talking to you today. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She also told me over the phone, that the retailer would have to eat the ticket, as you can not void it. I am way too superstitious to ever do this. So I just can't wait to see what tomorrow brings me at 10:00 pm.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          17740 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2009, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

She also told me over the phone, that the retailer would have to eat the ticket, as you can not void it. I am way too superstitious to ever do this.

I use to feel the same way so I always bought any extra copies or mistakes made during the printing of my tickets.  I never won anything from those tickets so now when the clerks make a mistake while printing my tickets, they or the store get stuck with them even if they include some of my numbers.

* you don't need more tickets * 
          * just the right ticket * 
             Wink 

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            2829 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2009, 2:09 am - IP Logged

Most states will only void tickets for local games, you or the store get stuck with bad tickets for multi-state games.  If the terminal didn't print the ticket correctly then it's the store's problem if you don't accept the ticket.

Whichever choice you make, the problem with  poorly printed tickets that can't be cancelled is that they could potentailly cost you the entire prize.  If a ticket with a missing barcode is a QP and happens to be the only winning ticket for a huge jackpot, what happens if the ticket can't be validated? Even if you've chosen the numbers, if you buy another ticket, the misprinted ticket could still account for 1/2 or 1/3 of a jackpot.

At least in theory, a ticket could  be "printed" with absolutely no trace of ink, and still be identified, since the tickets are preprinted with serial numbers on the back. Logging those numbers when a  new roll is loaded in the terminal  means that the lottery should know without even seeing a winning ticket  what the serial number is, at least within a small margin of error. Things that would help prove the ticket is the winner would include any other tickets bought at the same time, or playing  the same numbers on other tickets, whether for the same or previous drawings.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: April 28, 2009, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Here in Ky they have bar codes and on the ticket they have numbers they can go by if somehow the bar code get's messed up they go by the numbers.Probabkly the same in every state..I don't understand why people on this site seem to have so much problems with tickets..You can always send your ticket to your lottery headquaters or take it yourself there...The lottery is not out to screw you..If you have a winning ticket they will honor it..

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                975 Posts
                Posted: April 28, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Did you get a receipt? Since the lottery commission would still know what time the ticket was printed, even if incorrectly it seems like that if you have a receipt from the store that's marked with the same or close to same time that could be used as at least a bit of proof... Actually, probably not....

You can't predict random.

United States
                  Member #26084
                  November 14, 2005
                  199 Posts
                  Posted: April 28, 2009, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

First off, thanks for all the responses to my question. I did not win anything on that ticket, for good or bad. I was just worried they would be a problem if I did win. Like has been said before on this thread, it is so important to check your ticket before you leave the store.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit