Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:28 pm
You last visited July 28, 2014, 2:26 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have to pay in cash for a lottery ticket and why?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Eden Prairie, MN
United States
Member #49875
February 18, 2007
63 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2009, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

1.I have a feeling that you have to pay in cash,but if that is true,then why can't I use a credit card or other form of payment such as a debit card?

2.Where you find information about this,since I cannot find it on the MN State Lottery Website regarding paying for the lottery ticket(s)?

JAP69's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8497 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2009, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Not all states allow payment in the manner that Mn does.

http://www.lottery.state.mn.us/qanda.html#00

Q:

Can I purchase lottery tickets from a retailer with a check, check card or debit card?

A:

Yes, if the retailer allows it. Minnesota Rule 7856.4010, subpart 16, permits retailers to accept coin, currency, money orders and checks for the payment of lottery tickets. Also, since the use of a check or debit card is the same as a check, the use of those cards are also permitted.

While a lottery retailer may accept a check or a check card for the payment of lottery tickets, the retailer is not required to do so. The Lottery does not require a retailer to accept a check or a check card for the payment of lottery tickets. In other words, a retailer is permitted to have a policy that they will not accept checks or credit cards for the purchase of lottery tickets.

Stats hunting: Type

Espanola NM
      United States
      Member #72722
      March 25, 2009
      133 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2009, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

My retailer accepts CASH and debit cards since that is as good as cash.   Although since VISA and MASTERCARD charge merchant fees on all transactions....I can see why some small mom and pop stores would refuse debit as well.  Can't go wrong with CASH.

I have yet to find a store that accepts checks or credit cards.   If I were an owner of a store....I wouldn't accept those either.   Accepting the use of credit cards could encourage bad gambling habits.   Also checks are prime for bad checks or forgery.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        5281 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2009, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Not all states allow payment in the manner that Mn does.

http://www.lottery.state.mn.us/qanda.html#00

Q:

Can I purchase lottery tickets from a retailer with a check, check card or debit card?

A:

Yes, if the retailer allows it. Minnesota Rule 7856.4010, subpart 16, permits retailers to accept coin, currency, money orders and checks for the payment of lottery tickets. Also, since the use of a check or debit card is the same as a check, the use of those cards are also permitted.

While a lottery retailer may accept a check or a check card for the payment of lottery tickets, the retailer is not required to do so. The Lottery does not require a retailer to accept a check or a check card for the payment of lottery tickets. In other words, a retailer is permitted to have a policy that they will not accept checks or credit cards for the purchase of lottery tickets.

I've purchase lottery tickets along with other items using a debit and credit card in five different states. There is no logic against using either to purchase tickets when most stores have ATM machines where we can withdraw cash and use it to buy the same tickets.

Store policies might vary but if they have no signs telling me, I'm going to leave the other products laying on the counter, purchase nothing, and they can return them to the selves.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          5281 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2009, 11:00 am - IP Logged

My retailer accepts CASH and debit cards since that is as good as cash.   Although since VISA and MASTERCARD charge merchant fees on all transactions....I can see why some small mom and pop stores would refuse debit as well.  Can't go wrong with CASH.

I have yet to find a store that accepts checks or credit cards.   If I were an owner of a store....I wouldn't accept those either.   Accepting the use of credit cards could encourage bad gambling habits.   Also checks are prime for bad checks or forgery.

"Accepting the use of credit cards could encourage bad gambling habits."

Do you think using a credit card to purchase a six pack of beer encourages alcoholism too or buying certain types of foods promotes obesity and/or health risks?

Just the fact a store sells lottery ticket is encouraging gambling whether it's good, bad, or other wise.

Eden Prairie, MN
            United States
            Member #49875
            February 18, 2007
            63 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2009, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I like the reserve psychology on the Lottery website that tell you to stop playing if you have a problem with gambling,but they are the ones who encourage you to play a lot,so they can make money.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2009, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I know in Tennessee they say you can't use a debit/credit card...  However, a friend from out of state was able to buy a powerball ticket and fuel with a debit card.  I've always assumed they wouldn't allow debit/credit cards to mitigate irresponsible playing.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Espanola NM
                United States
                Member #72722
                March 25, 2009
                133 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2009, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Another thing about credit cards is the provider(VISA, etc..) charge the merchant a fee each time one of their customers does a transaction with their card.     I have no idea how much the retailer keeps from each $1 that costs to purchase a lottery ticket.    But my guess is not much.  Add in the fees that some lottery customer incurs on the retailer by using a card. 

That is why some business are even requiring minimum purchases before accepting cards.

United States
                  Member #54390
                  August 17, 2007
                  313 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2009, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Merchant Fees.

Retailers only get .01 to .10 cents profit each ticket.  If a person pays with credit card, then the store will actually lose money.  That's why many small store has a credit card limit when purchasing something.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                    North Dakota
                    United States
                    Member #13397
                    April 5, 2005
                    1623 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2009, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Another thing about credit cards is the provider(VISA, etc..) charge the merchant a fee each time one of their customers does a transaction with their card.     I have no idea how much the retailer keeps from each $1 that costs to purchase a lottery ticket.    But my guess is not much.  Add in the fees that some lottery customer incurs on the retailer by using a card. 

That is why some business are even requiring minimum purchases before accepting cards.

I know in Tennessee retailers get $.065 out of every dollar sold.  It's not much per dollar but it adds up.  I'm not aware of how much the merchant fee is.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      CA
                      United States
                      Member #57222
                      December 23, 2007
                      587 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2009, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

1.I have a feeling that you have to pay in cash,but if that is true,then why can't I use a credit card or other form of payment such as a debit card?

2.Where you find information about this,since I cannot find it on the MN State Lottery Website regarding paying for the lottery ticket(s)?

we cant use credit cards but we can use debit.  I must admit, i feel funny when I do,  it hints at desperation  but I have a certain amount that I play but just like any other purchase, if I don't have cash  I use my debit.  But the merchant knows you  will purchase other things along with your ticket, i assume they expect it.  I never buy just lottery tickets with my debit card, I HAVE to buy something else.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2010 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2009, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Credit cards could be stolen. Or one could just get $10,000 in lotto tickets and file bankruptcy. I guess they don't want that.

TheGameGrl's avatar - p42a
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          3110 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2009, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Per Visa- Merchants are not to set minimum purchase amounts on merchandise/services when paying via visa credit. Its in the merchants participation policy. SHould one create such a tactic, inform your Visa Bank(Example: Bank of America, CITI) of such and where this occurred. Its a direct violation.

More can be found on this thru your bank or cardholder establishment.

Yes Credit card companies can Deny credit purchases on gaming/lottery.

Signature quote-If I'd agree with you , we'd both be wrong.

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: May 13, 2009, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Per Visa- Merchants are not to set minimum purchase amounts on merchandise/services when paying via visa credit. Its in the merchants participation policy. SHould one create such a tactic, inform your Visa Bank(Example: Bank of America, CITI) of such and where this occurred. Its a direct violation.

More can be found on this thru your bank or cardholder establishment.

Yes Credit card companies can Deny credit purchases on gaming/lottery.

No it isn't.  Tons of small businesses do it and it's totally legal.  You actually lose money if you charge something that is small.

tnlottodreamer's avatar - lighthouse
                              After the Win GATLINBURG,TN
                              United States
                              Member #59921
                              March 31, 2008
                              209 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2009, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Always cash only here in Tn.But if you are at the store and you pay by your visa check debit card using your pin  you can get back money,and then buy lottery tickets with it,Using a debit card is REAL time it comes out instant.I know this for a fact because I worked for a large credit card company for many years,But of course there are stores who will break the rules time to time.

One day the atm wasnt working and they let me buy tickets using my visa check card but they also charged me the fee that the atm machine would have charged but i also used my pin for that transaction.

If you could buy lottery tickets with a plain visa,mastercard,Amex, or discover,There would be so many people who would never pay the bills then file bankrupt on them.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***