Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:16 pm
You last visited August 30, 2014, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch Offs Not Being Paid

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 5 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: June 1, 2009, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

I am going to delete certain parts of this email but this is what I sent to the Ky Lottery Headquarters a moment ago.

Subject: Scratch Off Not Being Paid

To Whom It May Concern,

My husband and I recently (today) purchased some scratch offs from M-- F---, Ft. Campbell Blvd, Oak Grove, Ky 42262,. Their telephone number is XXX-XXXX.  We won $6.00.  When we asked for cash, we were informed that the company's policy was to only give more scratch off tickets and not to give cash for winners.  That is plain fraud.  It says on the ticket that prizes can be paid by Ky retailers. This constitutes fraud and I would like it investigated. My name _____.  I am a member of the Lottery Post Lottery Forum (75,882 members) and I am going to post a copy of this letter there for all to see.  Thank You.
I could not believe that they thought that their customers are so dumb as not to question the validity of that particular situation.  If that is the way that Kentucky is going to let their retailers do, then I will quit playing there altogether..and I intend on telling everyone I see.
So Far, I got this canned message.
Date: 06/01/09 20:35:11
To:
Subject: Re: Scratch Off Not Being Paid (Email reply)

Thank you for your message.  We make every effort to reply to your message within one business day.  We will respond to messages that are sent over the weekend or after hours on the next business day.  The Customer Service department is open Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
    Member #71120
    February 19, 2009
    984 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2009, 10:08 am - IP Logged

You go girl,zyes I spent my last dime in Ky also on scratch offs,,,,When I went to bingo at exit 2 ,I stopped in for a new 20 dollar scratch off,ending up buying 6,,,that is 120.00,,,,,,,,,NOTHING...I will never buy there again...

Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2009, 11:33 am - IP Logged

They sent me an email this morning also and this is what they said. This is from the Ky Lottery HQTRS

On your winning tickets, did you win a cash prize or a free ticket prize?  If it was a free ticket prize (it would say FREE TKT), the retailer is instructed to give players a free ticket of the same price value.  For instance, if you won a free ticket on a $2 scratch-off, you would receive another $2 scratch-off.  The back of our tickets state: 'Players winning a free ticket prize in this game are entitled to a free ticket valued at (ticket value).  Redemption restrictions apply.'  Let me know and we will follow up on it.  Thanks!
      I told them cash.
      I am going to keep posting and let you guys know what happened.  I also heard that this same thing is being done in some stores in Hopkinsville.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        16224 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2009, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Things are going to get lost in the translation between you and KY headquarters hence the form

letter explaining free ticket redemption.

Make yourself more than clear (to me, what you've explained here is crystal clear but you are

dealing with them....)

Let them know the store is unwilling to pay your cash winners and supply them with

the telephone number and name of the clerk if possible and/or manager name.

I suspect this is an unwritten but actively practiced STORE policy.

They want to keep the cash there and sell their tickets too.

Sorry Charlie KY retailer, doesn't work that way.

Take your tickets elsewhere and make sure the Lottery looks into these

problems with that ticket retailer. If they did it to you, they are continuing to

do it to others.

Keep writing. Sometimes when you're getting nowhere, 10 more letters get you somewhere.

Eventually you get the right person.

Don't let it go.

I don't want that disease spreading to PA.

Keep us updated, thanks.

Clarksville
          United States
          Member #487
          July 15, 2002
          17638 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2009, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

I already gave that information to the Ky Lottery HQTRS.  The name of the store, telephone number, address, etc. I didn't post it on here because there are MANY of them and it would be unfair to the ones who are honest.

United States
            Member #73512
            April 16, 2009
            106 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2009, 11:28 am - IP Logged

They sent me an email this morning also and this is what they said. This is from the Ky Lottery HQTRS

On your winning tickets, did you win a cash prize or a free ticket prize?  If it was a free ticket prize (it would say FREE TKT), the retailer is instructed to give players a free ticket of the same price value.  For instance, if you won a free ticket on a $2 scratch-off, you would receive another $2 scratch-off.  The back of our tickets state: 'Players winning a free ticket prize in this game are entitled to a free ticket valued at (ticket value).  Redemption restrictions apply.'  Let me know and we will follow up on it.  Thanks!
            I told them cash.
            I am going to keep posting and let you guys know what happened.  I also heard that this same thing is being done in some stores in Hopkinsville.

I was always afraid of something like this happening when I discovered on the website that lotto retailers aren't "legally obligated" to redeem winning tickets, even though it says prizes of under 600 can be claimed at any lotto retailer.  Granted, I don't think the law should get involved, but there should be some incentive from the higher ups to redeem winning tickets of under 600.  Heck, at least give me a check.  BUT, all this over a 6 dollar prize?!  IT'S 6 DOLLARS!!  You'd probably spend more than that on gas traveling to the lotto office!  GRR!!!  I would never shop there again.

Clarksville
              United States
              Member #487
              July 15, 2002
              17638 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2009, 11:41 am - IP Logged

We received a phone call from Billy Vaughn from the lottery Security Dept for the Ky Lottery.  He had looked the transaction up on the computer and he found it!  He said that they should have given the $6.00 for the  ticket and not 6 more scratch offs.  He said he will call them and inform them of their mistake.  We found out also that for the past 6 months the Ky Lottery has changed their payout system to be more  like TN and other lotteries around the country.  Here is what he said:

If you play a $1,2,4,5,10 or whatever denomination of scratch off and you win ONLY the face value of the ticket, you will receive another free ticket ( hopefully the same kind).  He said FREE TICKET should be printed on the ticket itself.  If you win more than the face value of the ticket, you should be paid in cash if you so desire.

Well at least they responded quickly and have promised to call the management and inform them of their error.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                Jacksonville Florida
                United States
                Member #23018
                October 6, 2005
                720 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2009, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Good you reported that to Lottery HQ. It is spelled out in their retailer agreement which the store signed that they should have given cash for a true cash winner. Either the clerk was not aware of this or the store does this to sell more tickets. Most state lottery offices would followup with the store and although a single instance of this type would not get their lottery authorization yanked, continued incidents would. The lottery does track compaints such as yours so a store that gets enough complaints loses their authorization to sell lottery tickets (or if it involves fraud such as telling a winner their ticket is not a winner and pocketing the money, legal action could be taken).

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2009, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

We received a phone call from Billy Vaughn from the lottery Security Dept for the Ky Lottery.  He had looked the transaction up on the computer and he found it!  He said that they should have given the $6.00 for the  ticket and not 6 more scratch offs.  He said he will call them and inform them of their mistake.  We found out also that for the past 6 months the Ky Lottery has changed their payout system to be more  like TN and other lotteries around the country.  Here is what he said:

If you play a $1,2,4,5,10 or whatever denomination of scratch off and you win ONLY the face value of the ticket, you will receive another free ticket ( hopefully the same kind).  He said FREE TICKET should be printed on the ticket itself.  If you win more than the face value of the ticket, you should be paid in cash if you so desire.

Well at least they responded quickly and have promised to call the management and inform them of their error.

Too bad the KY Lottery Headquarters didn't show"good faith" and mail you a check for $6.00....that would have been nice.

In the past I've turned in a free ticket and was given a dollar instead of another ticket. I've also used a free ticket (scratcher) to get say a dollar play on MM. (can't remember exactly what game I played)

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    570 Posts
                    Posted: June 22, 2009, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

When Louisiana started its lottery in the early 1990s, there was a chain of stores around the New Orleans area, where I was living at the time, that wouldn't cash lottery tickets period, only give more tickets.  The cashiers would tell me things like they can't ring up NO SALE on the register, or they can only cash it if the register is already open.  I should have reported them but I didn't.  The only recourse I had was to just stop buying them at that store, which I did.

The only other problem I've ever had cashing a ticket is I once tried to cash a $20 ticket at a convenience store and they weren't sure they had enough in the register to cash it.  The lady in front of me bought a carton cigarettes for cash, so they had enough.  On the rare occasion I get a big winner like that, I usually go to a supermarket to cash them, since those places turn over a lot of cash they will have it.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                      Yinzer Country, PA
                      United States
                      Member #4067
                      March 18, 2004
                      2733 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2009, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

In PA, a lot of retailers will pay cash on free ticket winners.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.