Welcome Guest
You last visited December 18, 2014, 4:27 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What makes people to play the same numbers for years?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2009, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Brad Duke, the winner of $220 millions jackpot, says he played with the same numbers for four years. And I've heard about winners who played with the same numbers for years before jackpot. 

What makes them do that? In my case I've been playing with the dream numbers. Well, Ihsan Khan played with his dream numbers for 10 years. But it seems that people who hit the jackpot with the dream numbers are really rare. There are such people out there, but they are rare. So how did others choose their numbers? And what makes them convince that they would win with those numbers eventually?

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    McKinney/Texas
    United States
    Member #47363
    November 1, 2006
    696 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2009, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Wins keep people playN the same old #s $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ephesians 3:20

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #54181
      August 8, 2007
      115 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2009, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

In my thoughts.. it could be many things or issues... who knows for sure. I know a few people, that's all they do is play pet numbers (numbers that are special to them, something that has meaning). But in my veiw, the Lottery is so dynamic, time waits for no one...(rolling stones).... and I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Balance is Key

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        7926 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2009, 9:53 pm - IP Logged
        Well if you were born on 3 - 25 in 1948 and you are one of 8 children in your family you have 5 numbers you can play with.
        3-08-19-25-48 that's one scenario then you can do the same with your wife, husband, kids, even your next door neighbor.

There are infinite ways to come up with a set of numbers to stick with.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          pepper1's avatar - batman38
          hotatlanta
          United States
          Member #70664
          February 8, 2009
          1444 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2009, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

presistance. Had I kept playing the same number I would have being 17 million dollar richer. That day i decide to switch one number. You wouldn't believe who won my friend sister. She kept telling everybody that she was going to win this thing one day, and she did. my family birthdays. I still play them. They never came again. A man here in Ga

played the same numbers every week his grandkids birthdays, his wife said it was pouring down rain that day , and she started not to stop and play his numbers, she said if she didn't he would kill her when she came home, and guess

what that was his lucky day.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2009, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

They hope to win, but they can't predict numbers, so they pick 1 or more and play them, they want to win, that makes them do it.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              9210 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2009, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba,

To answer your question in the OP, What makes people play the same numbers for years, I'd say it's the belief or the "fear" that if they don't play them, they'll hit.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                4641 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2009, 12:10 am - IP Logged

GREAT>POST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ask.......>todd?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>???????????

PSYKOMO

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                  Santa Ana
                  United States
                  Member #71159
                  February 20, 2009
                  651 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I have played my

special birthday numbers in the Fantasy 5, Super Lotto for a very long time, i.e. years and Mega Millions since the beginning of the game and so far have not won the big jackpot

except; a) 2 numbers for a free replay which happen last night and the night before or b) 3 numbers for payoff under $20.00.  I have these numbers tatooed in my brain; so the odds are they are out in the universe to hit any day, hour or minute.  Besides the exact day I don't play my special birthday numbers which consists of birthdays of my oldest niece, my husband, my own birthday and the same birthday of my dad and sister is the very day they will hit; so I'm married to the numbers until they HIT BIGDance

germantown md
                    United States
                    Member #64543
                    August 31, 2008
                    3174 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2009, 12:34 am - IP Logged

They hope to win, but they can't predict numbers, so they pick 1 or more and play them, they want to win, that makes them do it.

well put LANTERN.

also others play the same number over and over bcos they might have won with that particular set/combo b4 so they tend to bond with it basicly thinking it will happen again.

it does sometimes with a few.

i go with a combo twice thats it only if it shows again strong.

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5350 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2009, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I think you may or may not be confusing the desired answer with your question.  The obvious of course is that it's like the previous posters wrote. Birthdays and other special events in their lives make them feel that if they were to ever win, and it was written in the stars, well, that's the way it would happen, and they'd hit the JP.

On the other hand, if it's unlike the obove scenario, If you put credence in their success and associate it with a trend arising with people winning their favorite numbers, and the possibility of YOU doing the same, you may be disappointed. It's just an illusion. There are countless numbers of folks playing their favorite numbers, but it takes only one of them every once in a while to actually hit the JP, therefore, eroneously showing a pattern.

The illusion is the association. Meanwhile, any group might come out, other than birthdays or experiences and not have any significance at all. I could easily pick 3-8-17-25-37-49, with no meaning behind it at all, and play it for 10 years and it may come out. Since there is nothing attached to those numbers, and it hits, well...... it's just dumb luck.

Only when someone attaches a thought or storyline behind numbers, does it seem magical or something. Otherwise, those other 300,000 or more poor folks playing their favorite numbers for 10 years should all have hit the JP by now.

Idea

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        5648 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2009, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Brad Duke, the winner of $220 millions jackpot, says he played with the same numbers for four years. And I've heard about winners who played with the same numbers for years before jackpot. 

What makes them do that? In my case I've been playing with the dream numbers. Well, Ihsan Khan played with his dream numbers for 10 years. But it seems that people who hit the jackpot with the dream numbers are really rare. There are such people out there, but they are rare. So how did others choose their numbers? And what makes them convince that they would win with those numbers eventually?

Probably for the same reason people play the same pick-3 numbers every day; they believe "over time" their number will hit. The time span is much shorter for the 3 digit game and with slight wager increases, they can still profit.

Time is a problem with the large matrix game because "over time" could mean thousands of years. Birthday numbers have exactly the same chance of being drawn as any other of the millions of combinations and for $104 a year with a chance of winning multi-millions, is worth it.

thor's avatar - thor
                          Deep in the Woods of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #68454
                          December 22, 2008
                          328 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2009, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Well, a personal example from me would be if I did play those "significant" numbers, this past Thursday I would have won $ 250,000 in the Texas Two Step game. The numbers drawn were part of "significant" numbers I've played before in that order, but what's the chance?

If it's meant to happen, it will.Jester Laugh

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4458 Posts
                            Posted: July 20, 2009, 1:39 am - IP Logged

ambelamba,

To answer your question in the OP, What makes people play the same numbers for years, I'd say it's the belief or the "fear" that if they don't play them, they'll hit.

BINGO !!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2009, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I just hit 4 out of 5 for fantasy five for$372.  I have been playing that same number for about 6 months.  The kicker?  It was never my own picked numbers.  It was an original quickpick that I thought looked pretty good!  I went online because CA lottery has  winning number search.  That set has hit 4 out of 5 five times.  That last time had been 8 years ago.  I figured it was time  for the next hit and I was right.  Of course I was hoping for 5 numbers but I was able to buy alot of groceries and yes I gave 10% to my church.

I also have a set that I have been playing for two years.  My reasoning?  And Ive alway said this.  A quickpick can win, but we never know what location the matching ticket will come from.  Whos to say I will be at the right terminal, with the right numbers at the exact second, on that ticket.  At least with my own numbers, If they hit,  I win,  I could have bought the ticket in any ONE of 20,000 retailers and I still will be the winner.

A few months ago, I began buying fantasy five ticket  QP every few days at the same store.  (Even though I play my own set EVERY DAY)  The ONE day i didnt  buy the QP someone won there for  $157k.  Not only someone, but a person who had won 200K a few years  before.  Of course I know that there is still no gaurantee that I would have won, but it felt funny all the same.   I still  play my own set ALL the time.  If it hits, I will be the one.  But the times when I win  a "replay" for 2 numbers, I get a QP.  if it hits  for me, fine, if not I still have my own set.  I thought about not playing the set that I just won because i figured it wont hit again then thought better of it because the set of 5 of 5 is still up for grabs.