Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:33 am
You last visited October 21, 2014, 9:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where do you buy your tickets?--Poll

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by luvrh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Where do you buy your tickets?

Local "mom and pop" conv. store/"bodega" [ 30 ]  [42.86%]
Big Supermarket Chain (e.g. Stop-N-Shop, A&P) [ 8 ]  [11.43%]
Big Convenience Store Chain(eg 7-Eleven, Circle K) [ 14 ]  [20.00%]
Online [ 3 ]  [4.29%]
Local liquor store [ 7 ]  [10.00%]
Liqour store chain ("Home Liquors") [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other (please explain in post). [ 8 ]  [11.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 70 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
New Jersey
United States
Member #78919
August 24, 2009
46 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2009, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I am sure this question gets asked alot and to my credit I did do a search before I posted a poll and didn't see it (or if it does exist, maybe I had too many words). Something nags at me that since I can't use my credit card to buy lotto tickets (seems to always be cash), I guess I should just stick with mom and pop stores as they would need the "reward" for selling the ticket much more than a large supermarket chain (though in my excitement, I did just that as I was droping the wife off to do the shopping...figured it'd saved time but I kind of felt bad in case I actually hit it big...)

I dunno if it's something folks think about when buying their tickets, but I figure in this economy, the "little guy" needs all the help he can get. Just wanted to get another take on this. LOL

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Santa Ana
    United States
    Member #71159
    February 20, 2009
    651 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2009, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I try to buy my lotto tickets anywhere I see the CA Lottery Logo sign to even my odds of winning...However, my favorite store to buy my tickets are in this immediate order: 1) 7-11; 2) Gas Station, i.e. Arco, Valero, Exxon, Chervon; 3) a few Mom & Pop stores; 4) one of my favorite liquor stores near where I live and work; 5) grocery chain store, such as Albertson's, Von's, Stater Bros and very last; 5) a lotto vending machine... GOOD LUCK IN WINNINGDance

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #78919
      August 24, 2009
      46 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2009, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Gas station.....I would have easily put that as a choice if I had remembered, but I knew I'd forget so I put other. If I ever ask this poll again I will definitely include it.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        4657 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2009, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

It really depends. Sometimes, I buy my tickets at the local mom and pop store, that is a couple of blocks from me. And sometimes, I buy it at the large grocery store where I shop. I would think though, it's about half and half. Although, every now and then, I have bought them at gas stations, but not very often.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #78919
          August 24, 2009
          46 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I could understand if QPs were involved (or rather just QPs), then yeah you get X amount at supermarket, X @ amount gas station, X amount @ mom and pop, etc., but if you are already picking your numbers, then would it matter where you went to buy your ticket?

Believe me, I have no qualms going to Quick Chek or 7/11 or My Exxon to buy tickets at 1:00am if I felt I had to, but barring that, I guess I just feel mom and pop should get something for selling you the winning ticket. But again, nothing wrong with getting it where and when you can get it.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            4657 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2009, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I could understand if QPs were involved (or rather just QPs), then yeah you get X amount at supermarket, X @ amount gas station, X amount @ mom and pop, etc., but if you are already picking your numbers, then would it matter where you went to buy your ticket?

Believe me, I have no qualms going to Quick Chek or 7/11 or My Exxon to buy tickets at 1:00am if I felt I had to, but barring that, I guess I just feel mom and pop should get something for selling you the winning ticket. But again, nothing wrong with getting it where and when you can get it.

No, I don't think it matters where one buys ones tickets. Yes, I do understand buying them at a mom and pop store and helping the little guy, but for me, it depends on what I am doing at the time...that is how I decide where to buy my tickets. If I have grocerys to get or I am heading into town, I usually buy them at a large chain grocery store. If I know I won't be heading into town, I get them at the mom and pop store next to me.

I don't understand what quick picks have to do with this. They aren't even factored into where I buy my tickets. Unless, I read your question wrong.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              9107 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2009, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I track the Illinois Little Lotto as there's a drawing every night and it averages out to paying out a jackpot every second or third day.

It seems most of the winning tickdets were bought at convenience marts, gas stations, liquor stores and tobacco marts. Kind of rare that a jackpot winner is bought at a big chain grocery store like Kroger or Scnuck's.

Judging by the lottery documentaries that have aired - The Lottery Changed My Life, Curse of the Lottery, it seems most of the Pick 6 (state lottos) and MM and PB were played at convenience stores.

Of course, there is that "Miracle Mile" in Wisconsin!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #64582
                September 1, 2008
                332 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2009, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I actually buy mine at a big supermarket - but I have to! The local gas station down the street (where I want to buy it) doesn't sell lottery tickets because they think it's evil. Really!!

So...the closest is the supermarket. The second closest isn't even that close.

But - sometimes when I feel really lucky (says the person who has never, ever even won the freakin' red powerball number), I go to a gas station/convience store. It seems to me that they do win more than other places.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  CA
                  United States
                  Member #57222
                  December 23, 2007
                  587 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2009, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I actually buy mine at a big supermarket - but I have to! The local gas station down the street (where I want to buy it) doesn't sell lottery tickets because they think it's evil. Really!!

So...the closest is the supermarket. The second closest isn't even that close.

But - sometimes when I feel really lucky (says the person who has never, ever even won the freakin' red powerball number), I go to a gas station/convience store. It seems to me that they do win more than other places.

Even though I have been using the same set of numbers for years,  I still try to play my numbers at my favorite store.  I have this weird feeling that the "main computer"  will recognize the same set at the same place and have mercy on the player (who happens to be me) I know its silly to think that way but  I do.    But  if I have time  I  drive to Sacramento ( hours away) to get my tickets  usually extra quick pick,  at Lichenes .  They have some weird good luck thing going.  Not only have they  hit multiple jackpots, they have alot of smaller listed on their wall of success, and that includes scratchers.  But I must admit, I havent won there.  all  my wins have come from my favorite liquor store less than three miles from the house.

And im with you on the powerball.  I stopped playing Mega Millions, because IT IS NOT MY GAME.  I know the odds are astronomical  but I have never ( well once)  won even the Mega number.  Fantasy Five seems to lately be my game.  I truly think thats where I'll win the jackpot.    But I do have a set of Supers that I play (just in case)

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2009, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I track the Illinois Little Lotto as there's a drawing every night and it averages out to paying out a jackpot every second or third day.

It seems most of the winning tickdets were bought at convenience marts, gas stations, liquor stores and tobacco marts. Kind of rare that a jackpot winner is bought at a big chain grocery store like Kroger or Scnuck's.

Judging by the lottery documentaries that have aired - The Lottery Changed My Life, Curse of the Lottery, it seems most of the Pick 6 (state lottos) and MM and PB were played at convenience stores.

Of course, there is that "Miracle Mile" in Wisconsin!

I hate to sound negative  but have you noticed how dull the new "The Lottery Changed My Life" shows are?  I mean they state that the people won the lottery then goes on to tell the story of how their lives are going now but doesn't seem to connect with the lottery.  They could have been documentaries on Any subject any channel. I think about the wiccan winner and aside from his purchases of the cars with only a ticket in hand, nothing from the show really showed the good (or even bad) side of the lottery.   The best one was the family who won and didnt tell anyone.  Their story focused on the effects of the lottery win. AT least the earlier ones showed people winning and actually doing fun stuff. And why show a full story on a raffle winner or even a PCH winner at all?

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #78919
                      August 24, 2009
                      46 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2009, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I asked anything about QPs. I was saying in response to the other poster who goes to multiple places to buy tickets. If I were QPing, I would see how this makes sense, but if I'm buying set numbers, I would just stick to one place.

Maybe I read that wrong though.....

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2009, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I buy at almost any kind of store. The store has to look lucky. I know that it sounds silly. I have beaten the odds (but still behind)  of course.

I also watch the numbers that some machines put out. I have some machines seem to just put out weird numbers, so I avoid them.P

I watch and see what kind of stores sell winners.  In Wis it seems Kwik Trips and Piggly Wigglys...

In Illinois it seems to be very much 7 elevens and White Hen pantries...

I keep on thinking that a winning store has it's luck worn out, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I see Ma and Pa's on the Miracle mile just keeps on selling winners.

One store near the Miracle Mile has sold 6 badger 5's...  1 in 167,000 odds....

One store near me really seems to be a mini Ma and Pa's. 

I believe that they sold 3   5 out of 6 PBs.  1 Badger 5.  And 2 or 3 supercash tickets. And there was a Gas Station there before they built that one and it sold 2 supercashes. 

As far as rewarding the seller of the ticket it doesn't matter whether it's a big store or a little one, I usually know the seller.

It is my policy to give 1% if I win a big one.

Hey, with a 100 mil prize she would be a millionaire!

MarkP

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          17933 Posts
                          Posted: August 29, 2009, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm a system player which means I make out play slips for every drawing so I buy my tickets at places that have play slips available.  If they do not then I go where they do.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
                          * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
                               Wink 

Milwaukee, WI
                            United States
                            Member #3131
                            December 27, 2003
                            665 Posts
                            Posted: September 3, 2009, 7:13 am - IP Logged

On a quick scan almost all winners are sold @ gas/convenience stores.

But that is probably because that there are so many more of them...

MarkP

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                              Dover, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #26979
                              November 25, 2005
                              169 Posts
                              Posted: September 3, 2009, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Anywhere that plays numbers although, I tend to go to stores I think are hot!!!!!!!!!!Mad

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water