Welcome Guest
You last visited December 20, 2014, 9:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a limit on the number of winning tickets you can redeem from one drawing in your state?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by PERDUE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Monkey Butt, USA
United States
Member #54569
August 23, 2007
1124 Posts
Posted: December 21, 2009, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I have a question. Here recently I read two stories where a player won a significant amount of money playing Pick 4. As I read their stories I was happy for them and glad to hear about their wins. But their wins made me think and ask myself the following question.....

Question: Is there a limit to the number of winning tickets a jackpot winner is allowed to redeem from one drawing in your state?
If so, what is the limit?

EX: Douglas Holland purchased 20 pick 4 tickets and they hit in exact order for a $100,000 win.(Douglas Holland, Virginia Lottery)

EX: William Harvey purchased 70 pick 4 tickets and they hit in exact order for a 3.5 million win.(William Harvey, New York Lottery)

I've read somewhere that there are states that set limits on the number of winning tickets one person can redeem from one drawing. Is your state one of those states and if so what is the limit?

I appreciate your answers.

Yes Nod                                                                                  No Nod                                                                                                              What?

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    4448 Posts
    Posted: December 21, 2009, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I have never heard that, to me it doesn't make any sense. If you have a valid winner, no matter how many, the state must "pony up". I know in Fla, there are limits on the amount they are allowed to pay at the regional offices and that amount is $250,000, over that amount, you must go to Lottery Hqs.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      7927 Posts
      Posted: December 21, 2009, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

No limit exist that i know of ------ 70 times 5000 = 350,000 grand not 3.5 million.

Lotteries do have a limit on how many tickets they will sell for a number every state has a cut off point on the amount of money they will pay out on a number.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
        Queens, NY
        United States
        Member #245
        April 15, 2002
        451 Posts
        Posted: December 21, 2009, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

What?  I'd like to know where you read about the number of tickets one can redeem. States ask that you play within your means, but must redeem any tickets you buy.  What?

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Monkey Butt, USA
          United States
          Member #54569
          August 23, 2007
          1124 Posts
          Posted: December 21, 2009, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

No limit exist that i know of ------ 70 times 5000 = 350,000 grand not 3.5 million.

Lotteries do have a limit on how many tickets they will sell for a number every state has a cut off point on the amount of money they will pay out on a number.

It was 3.5 million not $350,000. Here is a link to the story. I first read the story in the mystical section of lottery post.

http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/WinnerNewsDetail_Cat_353_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1539441.htm

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            17937 Posts
            Posted: December 21, 2009, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

It was 3.5 million not $350,000. Here is a link to the story. I first read the story in the mystical section of lottery post.

http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore/cgi-bin/WinnerNewsDetail_Cat_353_NavRoot_304_ProdID_1539441.htm

He purchased 70 separate Win 4 tickets, with 10 games on each ticket.

70 x 10 x $5000 = $3,500,000

States can Limit the Number of Tickets You can Buy, but they have to Pay All the Winners You Bought without Limit!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              7927 Posts
              Posted: December 22, 2009, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Thanks for clearing that up then in effect it was he bet 700 dollars on a pick 4 number pretty outrageous. Good for him great payday. I'd never do it but i have dropped 1 dollar on 20 separate tickets with the same number before.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2009, 8:53 am - IP Logged

No, and I hope not. The odds already a huge factor from keeping the players gets their winnings, don't need another fire loop to jump through.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #61467
                  May 24, 2008
                  28146 Posts
                  Posted: December 22, 2009, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Since California is a pari-mutual state, the only limit they put on Pick 3 & Pick 4 is that you are guaranteed that you will win back your $1.  If it gets to the point that if the number is played so often that the payout would be only $1, then they cut it off.  They do the same at the race tracks.  The minimum payout for a $2 ticket is $2.10.  When a huge favorite comes in first.  The payouts for win, place, and show will all be $2.10 per $2 bet.

Monkey Butt, USA
                    United States
                    Member #54569
                    August 23, 2007
                    1124 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2009, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I have a question. Here recently I read two stories where a player won a significant amount of money playing Pick 4. As I read their stories I was happy for them and glad to hear about their wins. But their wins made me think and ask myself the following question.....

Question: Is there a limit to the number of winning tickets a jackpot winner is allowed to redeem from one drawing in your state?
                    If so, what is the limit?

EX: Douglas Holland purchased 20 pick 4 tickets and they hit in exact order for a $100,000 win.(Douglas Holland, Virginia Lottery)

EX: William Harvey purchased 70 pick 4 tickets and they hit in exact order for a 3.5 million win.(William Harvey, New York Lottery)

I've read somewhere that there are states that set limits on the number of winning tickets one person can redeem from one drawing. Is your state one of those states and if so what is the limit?

I appreciate your answers.

Yes Nod                                                                                  No Nod                                                                                                              What?

I was wrong on my last statement in my original post.

I've read somewhere that there are states that set limits on the number of winning tickets one person can redeem from one drawing.

I read this and interpreted it wrong which lead to this thread being started: 

Pennsylvania Lottery:

(f)  The Department reserves the right to stop play on a number or combination of numbers to protect the integrity of the prize structure of the game at any time during the course of the Daily Number game.

Source
                       The provisions of this §  815.44 adopted February 25, 1977, effective February 26, 1977, 7 Pa.B. 529; amended March 18, 1988, effective March 19, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 1199; amended July 28, 1989, effective July 29, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 3167. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (126652) to (126653).

Sorry about that. But I still welcome and thank you for your comments.