Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:52 pm
You last visited July 29, 2014, 2:48 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Possible 2x's Jackpot Winner.

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 5 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Youngstown, Oh
United States
Member #73257
April 9, 2009
16 Posts
Posted: December 25, 2009, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

These two  lottery jackpot names are similar and in the same area. So I was wondering if it could possibly be the same winner, what do you think? I also noted that the two stores in which these winners were sold are only 8 miles apart.

#1:

LOTTERY HEADQUARTERS, TRENTON, NJ – (December 4, 2009) – The New Jersey Lottery today announced that the Lopes Family of Union County have come forth as the New Jersey winners of the $77 million jackpot from the MEGA MILLIONS drawing held on November 10, 2009.  The Lopes Family will be splitting the enormous windfall with another winner in California.

“Congratulations to the Lopes Family, our latest Mega Millions jackpot winners,” said Steven Palmieri, Acting Executive Director of the New Jersey Lottery, “This is New Jersey 's second Mega Millions jackpot winner in 2009—and what's even more remarkable is that they're the sixth New Jersey winner in just the past three years.”

New Jersey 's newest millionaires chose the cash option, which means they will receive approximately $24.2 million before Federal and State taxes. The Lopes Family purchased their winning ticket at Buyrite Supermarket, located at 965 Maggie Avenue in Union, Union County .  The tickets were selected by the Lopes Family, and were not a ‘quick pick' selection.  The winning numbers for the Tuesday, November 10 drawing were: 08, 21, 29, 34 and 37, and the Gold Mega Ball number was 15. 

#2:

The New Jersey Lottery today announced the Lopes family of Union County as the New Jersey winners of the $126 million jackpot from the MEGA MILLIONS drawing held on July 22, 2008.  Members of the Lopes family came forward today at a special Lottery holiday promotion to stake their claim as the first New Jersey winners of Mega Millions this year.

“We’re really excited to have the Lopes with us today to help us ‘open’ this bank and celebrate their win and our new games for the holidays,” said William T. Jourdain, Acting Executive Director of the New Jersey Lottery. “When we were coming up with our new ‘Wonderful Life’ instant ticket and our “Jersey Jackpot” raffle, we knew we’d be making our players very happy this holiday season—and I think the Lopes family are living proof of that…even if their really big present came in July, rather than this month!”

“One of the greatest satisfactions the job of State Treasurer holds is moments like this,” said State Treasurer R. David Rousseau, “There is no greater joy—at this time of year, or any other—than to bring about positive change in the lives of our fellow New Jerseyans.  And that’s not limited to the Lopes family that’s here with us today—the revenues generated from Mega Millions and all of our State’s instant ticket and Lottery games help thousands of students, veterans, and the disabled in all of our communities, every day of the year.”

The Lopes family chose the cash option, which means they will receive $75,499,102 before the 25% federal withholding tax. Their winning ticket was purchased on Tuesday, July 22 at Seabra Supermarket, located at 73-83 Wilson Avenue in the City of Newark, Essex County.  The tickets were a natural selection.  The winning numbers were: 02, 16, 23, 29 and 32, and the Gold Mega Ball number was 46. 

“We feel very, very lucky,’’ said Clelia, who purchased the winning ticket, “I was just in the grocery store, making my purchases, like I always have, and on my way out, I bought some Mega Millions tickets—like I always have.  It’s still amazing to me what has happened because I made sure to get my tickets that day.”

Mr. and Mrs. Lopes are lifelong residents of New Jersey.  Mrs. Lopes has been a homemaker, and Mr. Lopes has worked in construction for many years in their Union County community.

When they found out that their family possessed one of the winning tickets in this massive jackpot, the surprise was overwhelming.  Said Mr. Lopes, “I checked the numbers twice, and then we checked them together—and then we checked them again.  We couldn’t believe our luck.  It’s been exciting and memorable—and it’s still hard to believe we won.”

Mr. Lopes also explained his delay in coming forward, saying, “It took us a long time just to let the fact that we won sink in.  After that, we signed the ticket and put it into a safe place and started thinking about the future and our family’s future.  Then we took our time and got some legal and financial advice from professionals—Clelia and I are pretty good with money, but when you’re talking $75 million…well, it doesn’t hurt to have an expert opinion or two.”

Acting Executive Director Jourdain added, “The Lopes family did everything right that you could ask of a winner in a big jackpot—they signed their ticket, put it in a safe place, and then sought professional financial and legal guidance to help them with any questions they may have had.  Those are the steps we love to see our winners take before they come forward.”

“In a lot of ways, we’re still in disbelief,” said Mario Lopes, “I know this means that a lot of worries about what will happen when we finally retire are pretty much gone, but past that, Clelia and I are still sorting all of this out—we have some ideas about what we want to do with this big win, but haven’t made any big decisions yet.”

Treasurer Rousseau concluded the day by commenting, “I congratulate the Lopes family on their good fortune, and I tend to agree with Director Jourdain—a ‘Wonderful Life’ has truly become theirs this holiday season!”

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17738 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2009, 10:46 am - IP Logged

In the last article "and what's even more remarkable is that they're the sixth New Jersey winner in just the past three years" would indicate that they are not a double winner but if they were the same family I doubt they would bring attention to that fact because of the negative feelings that could be generated among players who have never won once.

* you don't need more tickets * 
    * just the right ticket * 
       Wink 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      4573 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2009, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

In the last article "and what's even more remarkable is that they're the sixth New Jersey winner in just the past three years" would indicate that they are not a double winner but if they were the same family I doubt they would bring attention to that fact because of the negative feelings that could be generated among players who have never won once.

Plus, wouldn't the lottery officials know and probably say something? I mean, I would think that winning two Mega Millions jackpots would be a very big deal and something the press and/or the lottery officials would definitely announce.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        17738 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2009, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Plus, wouldn't the lottery officials know and probably say something? I mean, I would think that winning two Mega Millions jackpots would be a very big deal and something the press and/or the lottery officials would definitely announce.

It's possible if the family had won before that they moved to a different address after the first win and used a different family member to claim the second win.  It's surprising to me how much news about lottery winners come from the winners themselves and those who know them.  Lottery officials have no reason to seek out such information and unless someone volunteer such information it probably wouldn't be noted.

* you don't need more tickets * 
        * just the right ticket * 
           Wink 

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
          Kansas
          United States
          Member #83963
          December 19, 2009
          347 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I think it's time to change my name to Lopes and move to New Jersey  Confused

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: December 27, 2009, 2:32 am - IP Logged

The DAY that happens..........Let me explain what you are up against...

FIRST, you got to climb 200 million combinations...

SECOND, you have to be the 2nd person out of like 200 Powerball/MegaMillions winners to do it with a system...

THIRD...Jackpots that are above 100 million only occur like less than 9 times a year...So you have to be in the right time of the year...

FOURTH: Even though Powerball is a: Pick5/59 + Pick1/46 if you are going for the 100+ million may as well look at it as a: Pick5/59 + Pick1/46 + Pick1/20...Some will argue that is not...

FIFTH: Both jackpots were pretty high, it wasnt a 20 million and a 70 million or a 35 million and a 70 million it was 1, 77 million and 1 of 126 million which again the odds of doing that...

SIXTH: you hit twice the jackpot...

SEVENTH: You did it and you are not wealthy...

EIGHTH: all that i need to hear is that you did it with less than 5 tickets....

NINTH: What is your name

TENTH: May as well call yourself a living psychic...

ELEVENTH: if this had happened with scratchoffs it will had been it...Luckily scratchoffs do no pay above 10 million...

TWELTH: and you DID it...Please someone start taking this family their blood samples to be later studied and for future research...

This family if they are the ones if they wrote a book it surely will be the best seller for like an entire decade...

500K people that buy that book per year x 10 years = 100 million dollars and is not county worldwide...Plus publicity...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: December 27, 2009, 3:02 am - IP Logged

I forgot another one...And for you to have a minority name or be a minority...Not saying it can´t happen is just that the odds are stacked agaisnt you...for every 1 minority person there is 10 people of the majority playing the game...

AND YOU STILL DID IT...

You certainly will go in history and your family/name should be written in history books as what humanity can accomplish...

all i need to hear now is that the person who bought the ticket was: Left-Handed, or extremely tall, or extreme beautiful because those are qualities/characteristics that are rare in nature....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨