Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:00 pm
You last visited April 19, 2014, 8:58 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When You Check Your Ticket Do You Ever...

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Monkey Butt, USA
United States
Member #54569
August 23, 2007
1123 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2010, 5:17 am - IP Logged

This question is to everyone who scan their lottery tickets.

When you scan your ticket to check for a winner do you ever take the time to compare it to a printed results slip also?

I ask this question because I've noticed that a lot of people rely on the accuracy of the scanner being right.
There have been times when I've scanned a winning ticket and had the scanner and the ticket machine say my ticket was not a winner when in reality my ticket was a winner.

It was when the ticket was compared with to the result printout that I was able to cash my ticket.
Why the ticket rejected, I can't say. All I know is the scanner and the computer terminal said "not a winner."

How much unclaimed money stemms from winning tickets that said "not a winner" when scanned and the ticket holder went along with what the scanner/machine said instead of double or triple checking their ticket?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    2745 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2010, 5:28 am - IP Logged

they plan on bringing in scanners here in my state this year. thanks for the heads up and Ill remeber to

ALWAYS CHECK MY OWN TICKETS AGAINST DRAW RESULTS

when they say " you're more likely to die driving to the store to buy a lotto ticket than win " i can say not this little black duck.

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
      Kansas
      United States
      Member #83963
      December 19, 2009
      347 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2010, 5:46 am - IP Logged

I check all tickets online, after the draw. Then I round them all up, and scan them when I go to get some more.

I have actually had several errors in my favor, and I don't even know how. On winning tickets, when I have checked them online, and know I have won $2 or $4, I have scanned them and it's read anywhere from $1 to $2 more!?!?!? These were not power play, sizzler or anything that takes an extra $1, either. I'm not going to argue with the machine, though. Big Grin  If it were not in my favor, now that's a different story. So.....I scan ALL tickets now, just in case they want to give me something, anyway. lol

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14711 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2010, 8:17 am - IP Logged

I've never seen a scanner in my area here in Tennessee so I check them here and ask for a printout before entrusting them to the clerk. I scan the ones I get in Virginia after checking them here and seeing the printout. Haven't seen any discrepancies yet but it's good to know it happens so I can watch for it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
          Member #46581
          September 15, 2006
          93 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2010, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Make sure you not only check your tickets with the scanner and you, yourself check your ticket, but don't rely on the person behind the window to tell you it's not a winner.  Take it to another store.  I always check my tickets before I cash it in.  I knew my scratch off was a winner when I took it down to the store to be cashed one day.  The girl straight up told me it wasn't a winner.  I just told her to give it back to me and I took it to another store and cashed it.  I reported her the lottery store when I saw the manager the next day.  Needless to say she'd been doing that for a while so I heard.  SO ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TICKET FIRST YOURSELF!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - AbnSTiA

United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            4423 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2010, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

I check my tickets online first. I would never rely on the scanner or someone behind the counter to check my numbers.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              8763 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2010, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Of all the places around here to play, there is only one that prints out the results and leaves a copy by the playslips. As for most of the others, "You don't ask, you don't get", and even at that they're often too busy with other things to do it.

I think some places turn their public access scanners to off or something (the lights stay in them on) because that scanner won't read anything but the one they have behind the counter will.

CAUTION!

One of these days when it's slow and that happens I'm going to ask the clerk how come this one isn't workoing and yours is? Might get an interesting alibi, ah er answer.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                17420 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2010, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

I use a computer program to pick the combinations I play which also store them to a play file.  When I update the data files, I also check the play files and high-lite the winning numbers on my tickets.  Up until now when my tickets have been scanned the results have been what I expected.

* Thoses who can, do * 
                * thoses who can't, just talk *
                Roll Eyes 

San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #58386
                  February 12, 2008
                  267 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2010, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I never check my tickets visually.  I trust the scanners.

I guess I trust them.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                    Kansas
                    United States
                    Member #83963
                    December 19, 2009
                    347 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2010, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I use a computer program to pick the combinations I play which also store them to a play file.  When I update the data files, I also check the play files and high-lite the winning numbers on my tickets.  Up until now when my tickets have been scanned the results have been what I expected.

I also do this with most of my picks, as well. Mine highlights which numbers were drawn on each of my tickets, as soon as I enter in the winning numbers.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

CA
                      United States
                      Member #84266
                      December 26, 2009
                      410 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2010, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I check mine online and if I have a winner I scan it to confirm.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        Santa Ana
                        United States
                        Member #71159
                        February 20, 2009
                        650 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2010, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

When you scan your ticket to check for a winner do you ever take the time to compare it to a printed results slip also?

I ask this question because I've noticed that a lot of people rely on the accuracy of the scanner being right.
                        There have been times when I've scanned a winning ticket and had the scanner and the ticket machine say my ticket was not a winner when in reality my ticket was a winner.

It was when the ticket was compared with to the result printout that I was able to cash my ticket.
                        Why the ticket rejected, I can't say. All I know is the scanner and the computer terminal said "not a winner."

How much unclaimed money stemms from winning tickets that said "not a winner" when scanned and the ticket holder went along with what the scanner/machine said instead of double or triple checking their ticket?

I check several places, 1st, i.e. lottery website, the newspaper and also I scan it just to be sure because I don't want to embarass myself.  However, sometimes the scanners can be unrealiable and it is just best to double check with a printout of the exact winning numbers.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #57222
                          December 23, 2007
                          587 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2010, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I can't say that I never check those scanners because I have, but i never rely on them.  I check my number online at the CA website. either a few hours later the same day or the next day.  Since all of my picks remain the same nomatter the drawing i can tell if Ive won without the ticket in my hand.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Listens to the wind

United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            17807 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2010, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I had a scanner say not a winner and it was, $700.00 raffle winner. when i checked on line i found i did have a winner. the guy at the lottery office said that does not happen...well, i will never trust scanners again.

There's only one US Flag

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-067.jpg
                              Lucky Town
                              United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              9034 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2010, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Hello:

I always check online, then, I'll just check it with the scanner, just to seei t say, 'You won $$$$, see the store clerk" , lol