Welcome Guest
The time is now 2:51 am
You last visited August 20, 2014, 2:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cash in MegaMillions ticket in another state?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
South Carolina
United States
Member #62147
June 19, 2008
73 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2010, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Now that Indiana has MegaMillions, can I bring in a ticket ($2 winner) that was purchased in Illinois to an Indiana retailer to claim the two bucks?  Or do I have to take it back to the Land of Lincoln?  Thanks.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1841 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2010, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Now that Indiana has MegaMillions, can I bring in a ticket ($2 winner) that was purchased in Illinois to an Indiana retailer to claim the two bucks?  Or do I have to take it back to the Land of Lincoln?  Thanks.

You gotta claim your prize in the state in which the ticket was purchased. Question is, being that Indiana now has Mega Millions, why did you decide to purchase your ticket in Illinois?

Gonna win.Big Smile

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
      Kansas
      United States
      Member #83963
      December 19, 2009
      347 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2010, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

You gotta claim your prize in the state in which the ticket was purchased. Question is, being that Indiana now has Mega Millions, why did you decide to purchase your ticket in Illinois?

Well, if they didn't have MM until 2 days ago, and seeing the last MM draw was Friday, then the ticket was from a draw prior to when they had it in their state. So, consequently they don't want to have to drive back to Illinois for $2, now that they have MM in their home state. Right? I get it, and unfortunately, yes, you have to claim it in the state purchased. Unhappy

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1841 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2010, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Well, if they didn't have MM until 2 days ago, and seeing the last MM draw was Friday, then the ticket was from a draw prior to when they had it in their state. So, consequently they don't want to have to drive back to Illinois for $2, now that they have MM in their home state. Right? I get it, and unfortunately, yes, you have to claim it in the state purchased. Unhappy

LOL. I should've figured that. Unless he lives really close to the state border, the $2 might not even be worth the gas to get it, unless of course he's going back that anyway for something else.

Gonna win.Big Smile

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #62147
          June 19, 2008
          73 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2010, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I bought it about 3 months ago and haven't been back since.  Not going to drive one hour just for two bucks.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
            Kansas
            United States
            Member #83963
            December 19, 2009
            347 Posts
            Posted: February 3, 2010, 1:56 am - IP Logged

LOL. I should've figured that. Unless he lives really close to the state border, the $2 might not even be worth the gas to get it, unless of course he's going back that anyway for something else.

yea that sure wouldn't be worth the gas at all, LOL

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Viva La Chance!
              Rockville, MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              4913 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

You can mail them in to claim.

Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1841 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2010, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

You can mail them in to claim.

From what I've heard, mailing a lottery ticket across state lines is illegal.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  17797 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2010, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Actually both PowerBall and MegaMillions are local games except for the jackpots.  States contribute ~33% of local sales for the jackpot which all share and all other prizes are paid by the state that sold the ticket.

* you don't need more tickets * 
                  * just the right ticket * 
                     Wink 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    17937 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2010, 9:48 am - IP Logged

From what I've heard, mailing a lottery ticket across state lines is illegal.

It must be one of those conundrums of life: Lotteries do have Lottery Players submit Tickets via Mail for Claiming of Prizes and Submission to Second Chance Drawings.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!