Welcome Guest
The time is now 7:42 pm
You last visited July 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 3 years ago by kapla.

Page 1 of 35
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171
April 7, 2002
169 Posts
Posted: May 21, 2010, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

There hasn't been a Sweet Million million dollar winner since March 13.  If the odds are so much better (about 1 out of 4 million) than NY Lotto, Powerball or Mega Millions, why are there so few winners?  Are the Sweet Million tickets not selling, I don't get it?

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    2829 Posts
    Posted: May 21, 2010, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Looking at the odds and the prizes that have been won recently it looks like there have been roughly 400,000 tickets sold for recent drawings. Based on that we should expect that on average there will be about 1 winner for every 10 drawings.

United States
      Member #171
      April 7, 2002
      169 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2010, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your response.  I purchased 15 Sweet Million tickets yesterday and had one winner for $3.00, a few tickets had 2 numbers on them.

My new strategy going forward is to buy $10 worth of Sweet Millions on the first Thursday of the month, if I don't win, then I will play $15 on the second Thurs.,$20 on the third Thurs, and so on until the end of the month.  I cut down my PB, MM, and NY Lotto, to one ticket apiece for each drawing, and would rather play heavier on the lower odds Sweet Million game.

Since you sound very smart, I was wondering if you knew what I would be cutting down my odds of winning (the million) to when playing  $20 or $25 dollars worth of tickets on one Sweet Million drawing.

Thanks!

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90537
        April 29, 2010
        3232 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2010, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

There hasn't been a Sweet Million million dollar winner since March 13.  If the odds are so much better (about 1 out of 4 million) than NY Lotto, Powerball or Mega Millions, why are there so few winners?  Are the Sweet Million tickets not selling, I don't get it?

I agree with you 100%, there is something fishy about sweet million.  I do not see a lot of winners either, i have seen like three people winning the jackpot.  They won it by playing $5 QUICK PICK. I feel that powerball and mega millions are the best games to play although the odds to win are harder.  people win powerball and mega millions regardless of the high odds.  What i like about mega millions and powerball is that the jackpot and second prizes have been won by playing $1,$2,$3,$4,$5 and $10 using the quick pick method. In other words you might not know when you are going to win, but these games give you flexibility on how much you play to win, because there are more people playing.  Let me give you an example on 8/28/09 two people won the $336 millions mega millions, they won it by playing $1 quick pick each.the winner from the bronx ny won half of it by playing $1quick pick with the 26 annual payments option.  the guy from california won half of it by playing $1 quick pick with cash value option. As you can see everybody was betting their life on it for that drawing, but these two guys won it by playing one single quick pick each.

i play sweet million, take 5 and ny lotto sometimes, but i only play $1 quick pick on each.  i have noticed that these games seems to be manipulated some how as to where the jackpot is going to be hit.Therefore i prefer to win them with a dollar.

United States
          Member #91613
          May 21, 2010
          20 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2010, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

it's gone sour.

United States
            Member #171
            April 7, 2002
            169 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2010, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

The New York Lottery makes it sound like there will be 5 million dollar winners for each Sweet Million draw, but the wins are infrequent.

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90537
              April 29, 2010
              3232 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2010, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

The New York Lottery makes it sound like there will be 5 million dollar winners for each Sweet Million draw, but the wins are infrequent.

I feel that your post marks the end of sweet million as a game.  The lottery is a game of chance, but people will stop playing a game where winners are so few. I remember when new york got greedy and decided to sell classic lotto at one line for $1.  People stopped playing the game, and they went back to two lines for $1.  To be honest with you, i feel that the best games to play for a $1 in ny are classic lotto, mega millions and powerball.  take5, sweet millions and the other games are not a good value for $1 although they offer better odds.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                Member #88437
                March 16, 2010
                397 Posts
                Posted: May 21, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I feel that your post marks the end of sweet million as a game.  The lottery is a game of chance, but people will stop playing a game where winners are so few. I remember when new york got greedy and decided to sell classic lotto at one line for $1.  People stopped playing the game, and they went back to two lines for $1.  To be honest with you, i feel that the best games to play for a $1 in ny are classic lotto, mega millions and powerball.  take5, sweet millions and the other games are not a good value for $1 although they offer better odds.

If you don't want to pay a $1 for a lottery ticket then don't play and go to McDonalds get double cheese burger with that $1...the truth is these games are designed to make the states/lottery officials money...not to make you money...if you don't understand that...I feel bad for you. If someone wins it just helps the lottery get new players and keep old players...cause then someone like you thinks they have a shot. It is nice to think that "I am going to win the PB/MM one day..." but you need to get your life in order in case it never happens...I like to keep positive...but the reality is I need to live my life and be happy and if I pick up a jackpot along the way...super! I don't hold out hopes the lottery is going to save me...I play cause I like the challenge and I like picking numbers...I have won $90 in the past with LS and recently $12 with PB...and I am grateful...but I see the lottery for what it is...a game and it is a game that is not in my or your favor. 

Hope you all win your games! Thumbs Up

$1,000,000

United States
                  Member #171
                  April 7, 2002
                  169 Posts
                  Posted: May 22, 2010, 7:58 am - IP Logged

I just did more research on the odds of winning Mega Millions and NY Lotto.  The odds are about 4 million to 1 to win either second prize in Mega Millions ($250,000), second prize in NY Lotto ($181,000, prize amount given out in latest drawing), and the first prize in Sweet Million.

Based on this information, I think NY Lotto and Mega Millions are a better value than Sweet Million (as Thrust posted), because I have a 4 million to 1 chance to win second prize on Lotto and MM while still having a chance to win the the BIG ONE (first prize).  Additionally, if I don't win Lotto or Mega Millions, at least my money is helping to make the jackpot higher which I still have a chance of the winning next time, unlike Sweet Million where the big jackpot is staying the same even though there haven't been any winners for two months now.

I was reading some old posts here from September 2009, when Sweet Million just started, and the posters were surprised there were no million dollar winners in the first drawing and subsequent drawings, so based on that, I think the lottery playing public was expecting more winners from Sweet Million than there have been and won't want to play it now, and that's how I feel now after my research, I won't be playing Sweet Million any longer, I would rather have the 4 million to 1 shot of winning second price in NY Lotto or MM with a chance of winning the BIG ONE.

Note:  The odds of winning second prize on Power Ball is 5 million to 1.

In 2009, a friend of mine won $10.000 on Mega Millions, he had 4 numbers and the Mega number.

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90537
                    April 29, 2010
                    3232 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2010, 8:36 am - IP Logged

I just did more research on the odds of winning Mega Millions and NY Lotto.  The odds are about 4 million to 1 to win either second prize in Mega Millions ($250,000), second prize in NY Lotto ($181,000, prize amount given out in latest drawing), and the first prize in Sweet Million.

Based on this information, I think NY Lotto and Mega Millions are a better value than Sweet Million (as Thrust posted), because I have a 4 million to 1 chance to win second prize on Lotto and MM while still having a chance to win the the BIG ONE (first prize).  Additionally, if I don't win Lotto or Mega Millions, at least my money is helping to make the jackpot higher which I still have a chance of the winning next time, unlike Sweet Million where the big jackpot is staying the same even though there haven't been any winners for two months now.

I was reading some old posts here from September 2009, when Sweet Million just started, and the posters were surprised there were no million dollar winners in the first drawing and subsequent drawings, so based on that, I think the lottery playing public was expecting more winners from Sweet Million than there have been and won't want to play it now, and that's how I feel now after my research, I won't be playing Sweet Million any longer, I would rather have the 4 million to 1 shot of winning second price in NY Lotto or MM with a chance of winning the BIG ONE.

Note:  The odds of winning second prize on Power Ball is 5 million to 1.

In 2009, a friend of mine won $10.000 on Mega Millions, he had 4 numbers and the Mega number.

jacal5 you stated that that you think that ny lotto and mega millions are a better value than sweet million (as thrust posted).  i feel you are giving credit to the wrong person.If i'm not mistaken it was me that was comparing which one gives you a better value for a $1. if i'm wrong i want to apologize to you and thrust.

United States
                      Member #171
                      April 7, 2002
                      169 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2010, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Thrifty,

I really enjoyed reading your post, but please explain what you meant about sweet million, take 5 and ny lotto seeming to be manipulated as to WHERE the jackpot is going to be hit.   Do you mean the city WHERE the winning ticket is bought or WHERE the dollar amount of the prize goes up to?

I guess the quick picks could be manipulated, some combinations are less likely to come out than others according to Lotto Strategy web-site, the quick picks could just give out all the combinations that are unlikely to come out on certain weeks to build up the jackpot (NY LOTTO), or the quick picks could be manipulated to pick combinations that will not pay out a jackpot frequently (like Sweet Million).   The quick picks could also be manipulated to give out more combinations which have a better chance of winning in one neighborhood, but not another.

United States
                        Member #171
                        April 7, 2002
                        169 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2010, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Thrifty:

Please accept my apologies, I'm sorry, it was you and not Thrust who said lotto, mega, and powerball are better values than sweet million.  I guess I was mxed up since your names both start with TH (lol).

And Thrifty, thank you so much for making me see the light on the value of the lottery games, if it wasn't for your post, I would not have researched the odds on all the games!

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90537
                          April 29, 2010
                          3232 Posts
                          Posted: May 22, 2010, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Thrifty,

I really enjoyed reading your post, but please explain what you meant about sweet million, take 5 and ny lotto seeming to be manipulated as to WHERE the jackpot is going to be hit.   Do you mean the city WHERE the winning ticket is bought or WHERE the dollar amount of the prize goes up to?

I guess the quick picks could be manipulated, some combinations are less likely to come out than others according to Lotto Strategy web-site, the quick picks could just give out all the combinations that are unlikely to come out on certain weeks to build up the jackpot (NY LOTTO), or the quick picks could be manipulated to pick combinations that will not pay out a jackpot frequently (like Sweet Million).   The quick picks could also be manipulated to give out more combinations which have a better chance of winning in one neighborhood, but not another.

They are manipulated as to what city will win the jackpot.  As for mega millions and powerball they have been won everywhere in ny state ranging from second prizes to the jackpot. People had won the most jackpots and second prizes by playing quick picks, although from a probability stand point self picks and quick picks have the same chances of  winning. If you read most winners stories not only from ny state, you will noticed that they have won playing quick picks. By the way ny lotto and mega millions had been won with $1 many times from second prizes to the jackpot.  

One thing that i have learned about lotteries in general is that there is no point in trying to beat random.  You win the lottery by just being a player whether you play $1 or $100.  MY point is this, play an amount from $1 to whatever you feel good about , the most important thing is that you participate for the drawing that gives the amount of money that you want to win.

By the way, i consider a lottery game a jackpot game when the prize gets higher as people play.  Sweet million does not do that like MEGA MILLIONS , NY LOTTO AND POWERBALL.

United States
                            Member #171
                            April 7, 2002
                            169 Posts
                            Posted: May 22, 2010, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Some web-sites that give tips on how to win a lottery say to play less drawings and buy more tickets on the drawing you do play.  In other words, if a player spends $40 a month playing a $5.00 NY Lotto ticket twice a week, he should play twice a month instead with 20 tickets in the drawing each time totaling $40 to increase the chance of winning.

Someone from my neighborhood won the NY Lottery a few years back, he purchased $100 worth of tickets on one drawing to win it.

Another person who lives on my street won the NY Lotery, but I never asked him how many tickets he had in the drawing.

Someone I know is related to the Angelo family, the family who won the NY Lottery twice, once while living in the Bronx, and once while living in Mahopac. What's the odds on that happening?  I don't know how many tickets they had in the drawing either.

I buy my tickets all over, in Manhattan, Bronx, Westchester, New Jersey, Conn., and I must admit, sometimes I go into the poorer neighborhoods to buy quick picks, just in case there is manipulation!

Good luck to You!

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
                              Elgin, IL
                              United States
                              Member #68867
                              January 1, 2009
                              986 Posts
                              Posted: May 22, 2010, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Correct me if I am wrong, but there only have been 71 drawings for this game so far.  I look for combos & patterns that form in the big games, so I took a look at this one.  Here are 9 of the 71 drawings to date.

CntDATE123456
                              12009-12-171 4 13 14 2138
                              22009-11-091 4 13 14 1724
                              32010-01-251 712 1337 38
                              42010-04-221 12 16 19 37 38
                              52010-04-191 16 19 242637
                              62010-03-081823 27 2931 36
                              72010-02-04123 2427 31 36
                              82010-05-108 12 19 203039
                              92010-03-018 12 19 212739

Here are my predictions that I just Posted on LP for future drawings.  It will be interesting to see how I do even thou I can't play them.  Good Luck & Best Wishes too you.

Have a Great Day.........................

Page 1 of 35