Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:25 am
You last visited October 25, 2014, 5:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Odds duplicate numbers

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jimmy4164.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #96176
August 25, 2010
3 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2010, 9:53 am - IP Logged

posted this in math and other areas for comments.

I have noticed with both MEGA/Powerball that quite often when buying three or four series of numbers on ONE ticket, 

"MEGA BALL" or POWER BALL" number, the last one, orange/red etc.. is often duplicted on one or two of the series.

I emailed PB officials as was happening about this as odds seem to be rather slim that this is "coincidence", Got a song and dance bit from someone claiming to be "I am Director etc" but level of reply so badly bungled I suspect low ender.

All sorts of double talk and such were given, but none really addressed the issue other then "Well it could be SW issue at store that allows it to do this etc" Sorry but that one does not fly as is THEIR SW.

Supposed solution was "wait a while and buy others later, as in buy three now, then two later etc. So it seems to me that a known SW issue exists the HEAVILY favors "The Games", PB and MEGA as same thiing happens with both, last MEGA with three numbers had TWO "MEGA BALL" the same.
QUESTIONABLE "SW" as it seems to me the odds of this two of three MEGA BALL the same, is rather high. IF this is a KNOWN error then it seems games are a bit rigged to favor the Lottery, as two of three the same then favors Lottery, as reduced odds of at least hitting PB/MB ball

WHAT are the real odds of this happening, and we buy three or four numbers, twice a week. This happens quite often and is anyone else having seen this issue. Odds seem small for "Doublte PB/MB happenig more then once a month on two purchases a week.

ANYONE else see this "phenomina"?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    17943 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2010, 10:15 am - IP Logged

When you buy QPs, you say by default that you are willing to take what ever you get.  Picking your number randomly using another source like the LP quick pick generator and making out a play slip should correct this problem.  Good luck.

* you don't need more tickets, just the right ticket * 
    * your best chance at winning a lottery jackpot is to buy a ticket * 
         Wink 

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      17937 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2010, 11:56 am - IP Logged

I have noticed with both MEGA/Powerball that quite often when buying three or four series of numbers on ONE ticket, 

"MEGA BALL" or POWER BALL" number, the last one, orange/red etc.. is often duplicted on one or two of the series.

I emailed PB officials as was happening about this as odds seem to be rather slim that this is "coincidence", Got a song and dance bit from someone claiming to be "I am Director etc" but level of reply so badly bungled I suspect low ender.

All sorts of double talk and such were given, but none really addressed the issue other then "Well it could be SW issue at store that allows it to do this etc" Sorry but that one does not fly as is THEIR SW.

Supposed solution was "wait a while and buy others later, as in buy three now, then two later etc. So it seems to me that a known SW issue exists the HEAVILY favors "The Games", PB and MEGA as same thiing happens with both, last MEGA with three numbers had TWO "MEGA BALL" the same.
      QUESTIONABLE "SW" as it seems to me the odds of this two of three MEGA BALL the same, is rather high. IF this is a KNOWN error then it seems games are a bit rigged to favor the Lottery, as two of three the same then favors Lottery, as reduced odds of at least hitting PB/MB ball

WHAT are the real odds of this happening, and we buy three or four numbers, twice a week. This happens quite often and is anyone else having seen this issue. Odds seem small for "Doublte PB/MB happenig more then once a month on two purchases a week.

Just Buy One Ticket: No More Duplicate Numbers: A $1 and a Dream! Thud Thumbs Up See Ya!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

It has been mentioned often here - you could try searching for other threads.  Click Resources on the blue bar just above the threads on any page and choose search.

Here is a current thread where bobby623 brought up something similar on page 2. 

POLL - On The Whole Do The Lotteries Provide Truly Random Numbers? (Poll) - Lottery Post Forums:
        http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/218627

bobby623's avatar - abstract
          San Angelo, Texas
          United States
          Member #1097
          January 31, 2003
          1107 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2010, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Chuck

If you are buying terminal generated combinations, you are getting numbers from a random number generator. The machine
          doesn't know it is putting out duplicate numbers, nor does the clerk pushing the buttons. It's a matter of chance and anything is
          possible.

Best way to get different numbers is to pick them yourself and use a playslip.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            9112 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2010, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Chuck2,

It sounds like you are admitting you're taking on games with odds of over 176 and 195 million to one against winning, yet are surprised that something that has a 1 in 39 (PB, Pwerball #) or 1 in 46 chance (MM, Mega#) of happening happens.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JADELottery's avatar - EyePhnoeyReality6
              The Quantum Master
              West Concord, MN
              United States
              Member #21
              December 7, 2001
              2823 Posts
              Posted: August 28, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

post the email here.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
              Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
              Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos.
              Knowledge is Beyond Belief.
              Wisdom is Not Censored.

The Name Anagram
              name - Douglas Paul Smallish
              amen - US God plus Islam Allah
              mean - Jehocifer

JADE Quintrains
              JADE at planet.infowars.com

jimmy4164's avatar - andy warhol.jpg
                State of Mind
                United States
                Member #93949
                July 10, 2010
                2175 Posts
                Posted: August 28, 2010, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Chuck2,

Suppose you bought 3 Powerball QPs on one ticket, and the terminal issued you...

01 13 34 36 37    PB 23

22 34 41 51 53    PB 23

19 35 38 39 40    PB 16

Let's also suppose that since you only got 2 choices for the powerball, you think you were short changed.  Where I get my tickets they are pretty flexible and will often take back QPs, within reason.  They apparently have lots of people like me who are willing to buy the rejects.  So you give the ticket back along with a betting slip for the following 3 picks...

01 13 34 36 37    PB 17

22 34 41 51 53    PB 23

19 35 38 39 40    PB 16

You're happy now, so you leave.  I'm behind you in line and as I usually like to do, I ask for your reject.  I take your $3 ticket plus 3 more fresh QPs.  Later that night, the numbers are drawn:

01 13 34 36 37    PB 23  !!

You hit for $200,000 but...

I'm a Multi-Zillionaire!!

How do you feel?  Big Smile

--Jimmy4164