Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:34 am
You last visited October 22, 2014, 8:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winner Gets Fleeced

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 4 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
669 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2010, 5:14 am - IP Logged

One of the winners profiled in Lottery Changed My Life had won the big prize in the PCH sweepstakes.

They said she won $1,000,000, but that after taxes and fees her take home was actually $250,000.

Now, I know the taxes on that amount is around $350,000, which means she got nailed around $400,000 in fees. My question is what the hell kinda fees are those???

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

johngreek's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Patras,Achaia,Greece
    Greece
    Member #91331
    May 15, 2010
    42 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2010, 5:55 am - IP Logged

its so bad that they tax your lottery like crazy in the usa.

thank god you have huge jackpots so its less frustrating.

the best is uk with zero tax in winnings and here as well not bad tax is only 15%

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      21581 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2010, 7:52 am - IP Logged

One of the winners profiled in Lottery Changed My Life had won the big prize in the PCH sweepstakes.

They said she won $1,000,000, but that after taxes and fees her take home was actually $250,000.

Now, I know the taxes on that amount is around $350,000, which means she got nailed around $400,000 in fees. My question is what the hell kinda fees are those???

It was probably a cash option, just like a lottery, and the taxes on top of that.  PCH awards prizes over 20 years, not lump-sum.  That's how they're able to have $1 million prizes in the first place.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
        Northern Virginia
        United States
        Member #83350
        December 5, 2009
        1229 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2010, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I think, then, that they should say that the top prize is $250,000; not $1 MILLION. I would rather they just give a smaller figure without taxes; giving the larger figure is misleading.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5350 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2010, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

It was probably a cash option, just like a lottery, and the taxes on top of that.  PCH awards prizes over 20 years, not lump-sum.  That's how they're able to have $1 million prizes in the first place.

I'm so glad you addressed this issue. I have many lottery layman friends who debate me on this, and I break down the options. But they just don't get it. A Lump sum decision not only includes regular taxation, but the winner is further "Penalized". The sacrifice  a winner must make in trading, is accepting a smaller percentage of the actual JP prize after taxes and the lump sum tax. It's the State taking away from you, what THEY would've made in interest on, in a 20 year time span.

$10,000,000 JP win...

40+% tax leaves 6,000,000..........or less...lol

Another lump sum penalization of maybe 20%...(I don't know the numbers, just guessing)....leaves $4,800,000

Still not bad.....I wish I had to deal with problems like that.

I'll take it ! You won't hear any complaints from me. Not even a wisp of air leaving my lips...lol

Toledo, OH
            United States
            Member #96928
            September 8, 2010
            3 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2010, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, that is pretty much the case. PCH awards prizes as an annuity, so there is the option of the 30 year pay out or a lump sum of the present day value of the annuity. That value varies due to market conditions. We took the cash option, and we're happy and debt free. :)

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              21581 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2010, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, that is pretty much the case. PCH awards prizes as an annuity, so there is the option of the 30 year pay out or a lump sum of the present day value of the annuity. That value varies due to market conditions. We took the cash option, and we're happy and debt free. :)

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

Natalie,

Congratulations!  It's great to hear from you, I hope you enjoy that extra "boost" in the wallet!  (Do and buy some fun things -- but I'm sure you've got that covered!)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                lottoville
                United States
                Member #95476
                August 11, 2010
                132 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2010, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

did you say, "holy toledo!" when you won? if not, you know you should have.

Toledo, OH
                  United States
                  Member #96928
                  September 8, 2010
                  3 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2010, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Natalie,

Congratulations!  It's great to hear from you, I hope you enjoy that extra "boost" in the wallet!  (Do and buy some fun things -- but I'm sure you've got that covered!)

Thank you, Todd!

I just happened to do a search and found your site, as my show is airing again tomorrow. We didn't go too crazy - just a few things here and there so that we could get the "WE WON!" out of our system, but we concentrated on paying off our debts (YES!!!), investing and building our dream home that my husband designed.

The win was a big blessing, especially since I was working three jobs right before the winfall happened.  I wouldn't change a thing. Now I have a little more free time and can volunteer more in my community.

Although, I now have a SECOND job as PCH's Goodwill Ambassador, so I can't seem to shake that "more than one job" thing ;) I am no longer eligible to enter while I am in this role, but I don't mind! I just helped the Prize Patrol deliver another check to a winner in Las Vegas on August 31st. It's nice to pass along the torch as it were.

@ OwlCreekBridge

HAH! I should have. I just fell down and screamed. You can see it on the TLC show or on Youtube. :) Funnily enough, Native Toledoans don't say Holy Toledo as much as you'd think we should.

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

lottoville
                    United States
                    Member #95476
                    August 11, 2010
                    132 Posts
                    Posted: September 8, 2010, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, Todd!

I just happened to do a search and found your site, as my show is airing again tomorrow. We didn't go too crazy - just a few things here and there so that we could get the "WE WON!" out of our system, but we concentrated on paying off our debts (YES!!!), investing and building our dream home that my husband designed.

The win was a big blessing, especially since I was working three jobs right before the winfall happened.  I wouldn't change a thing. Now I have a little more free time and can volunteer more in my community.

Although, I now have a SECOND job as PCH's Goodwill Ambassador, so I can't seem to shake that "more than one job" thing ;) I am no longer eligible to enter while I am in this role, but I don't mind! I just helped the Prize Patrol deliver another check to a winner in Las Vegas on August 31st. It's nice to pass along the torch as it were.

@ OwlCreekBridge

HAH! I should have. I just fell down and screamed. You can see it on the TLC show or on Youtube. :) Funnily enough, Native Toledoans don't say Holy Toledo as much as you'd think we should.

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

awesome story. thanks for sharing. I love to hear big win stories, I hope I have one to tell some day too

Toledo, OH
                      United States
                      Member #96928
                      September 8, 2010
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: September 8, 2010, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

awesome story. thanks for sharing. I love to hear big win stories, I hope I have one to tell some day too

Thank you, I hope you all will have a story to share as well. :)

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

lottoville
                        United States
                        Member #95476
                        August 11, 2010
                        132 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2010, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, I hope you all will have a story to share as well. :)

GOOD LUCK!

~Natalie Bostelman

2008 SuperPrize Winner

PCH Goodwill Ambassador

thanks Embarassed

johngreek's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                          Patras,Achaia,Greece
                          Greece
                          Member #91331
                          May 15, 2010
                          42 Posts
                          Posted: September 8, 2010, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

congrats Natalie

good things happen to happy and positive people..

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Listens to the wind
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            19947 Posts
                            Posted: September 8, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Congrats on your win.Cheers

There's only one US Flag