Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:42 am
You last visited September 18, 2014, 11:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Duplicate PB numbers happening

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by B$Rizzle.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #96176
August 25, 2010
3 Posts
Posted: September 13, 2010, 11:11 am - IP Logged

We buy $3 Power Ball twice a week. We are getting duplicate PB numbers at least three or four times a month, or 4 of 8 buys. I am refering to the POWER BALL Number, not others. When we contacted state office about it, we were told. "Wait until another person buys then buy again as in 2 now and one later" They seem to imply, kind of hinted that "store SW may be the problem". which is pure bull as "store SW" from what we were told does NOT select the rumbers. Have had enough math to know this recurring issue somewhat fractures probabilty numbers and in truth favorst the lottery, not the buyers. Anyone else notice same. and we are addressing small buys of 3-4 tickets, but happens quite reqularily and "swithing stores to avoid SW issue" was zero help.

Me thinks Lottery knows of it but will not do much, and please no 'random numbers etc" as to have a PB number duplicate in a 3-4 buy, several times a month is a bit odd, in fact seems something is wrong with "Randome nr generators"?

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1000 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2010, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I very rarely buy lotto tickets but I have saved the few I have purchased.  Your observation gave me cause to pull them out and  look.  I was surprised to see the number of duplicate sets of numbers on tickets purchased many months apart.

Thanks for shedding some light on this aspect of QP's.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2010, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

We buy $3 Power Ball twice a week. We are getting duplicate PB numbers at least three or four times a month, or 4 of 8 buys. I am refering to the POWER BALL Number, not others. When we contacted state office about it, we were told. "Wait until another person buys then buy again as in 2 now and one later" They seem to imply, kind of hinted that "store SW may be the problem". which is pure bull as "store SW" from what we were told does NOT select the rumbers. Have had enough math to know this recurring issue somewhat fractures probabilty numbers and in truth favorst the lottery, not the buyers. Anyone else notice same. and we are addressing small buys of 3-4 tickets, but happens quite reqularily and "swithing stores to avoid SW issue" was zero help.

Me thinks Lottery knows of it but will not do much, and please no 'random numbers etc" as to have a PB number duplicate in a 3-4 buy, several times a month is a bit odd, in fact seems something is wrong with "Randome nr generators"?

Pick your powerball number..Case solved..

bobby623's avatar - abstract
        San Angelo, Texas
        United States
        Member #1097
        January 31, 2003
        1107 Posts
        Posted: September 13, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!Pick your powerball number..Case solved..

Chuck2

You don't say it, but it appears you are relying on the Terminal's RNG to give you numbers to play.

Not much you can do about it. You are requesting 'random' numbers, otherwise known as Quick Picks, and that's what the Terminal is giving you.
        The Terminal doesn't know it's giving you duplicate numbers. It's just a matter of chance.

If you want to be sure you have a mix of numbers without repeats you should try using the number and PB frequency
        table at www.powerball.com

A link to the table is on the home page.

You can then play a mix of numbers with the highest and lowest totals, all high totals, all low totals, etc.

You can also choose different Powerballs.

All you have to do is make your choices and mark the play slip accordingly.

Good luck!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: September 14, 2010, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Picking your own Powerball would seem like good advice.

But the advice comes from tiggs so we have to assume it's bad advice.

It's usually best to do the opposite of what he says.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2010, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Yes ridge..Don't shoot yourself in the head..

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              5436 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2010, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I get five Cash Ball tickets, two lines I picked and three QPs and half the time I get duplicate bonus numbers. The way I see it, if I'm asking for the terminal to pick the numbers for me, there is no reason to complain.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95881
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2010, 10:50 am - IP Logged

lol