Welcome Guest
You last visited December 22, 2014, 3:31 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What State In America Has THE Best Lottery?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jimjwright.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11334 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2010, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

from the best payouts,ball drawn or not,live draws,best promotions,scratch offs and a lot of different factors.

choose one or maybe two states if its hard to decide.

for me i'd have to say virginia has the best lottery followed by georgia.

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5350 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2010, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm gonna play in Utah when i get an online account. 

I have a friend who's been living there for 20 years now, and he plays the p-3 all the time, and gets straight hits pretty often.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Listens to the wind
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      20624 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:01 am - IP Logged

we have a state lottery report card here, go to results and scroll down, it will tell you the best states.

There's only one US Flag

NYSlugger 777's avatar - 777
        NY
        United States
        Member #54513
        August 21, 2007
        6371 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:38 am - IP Logged

from the best payouts,ball drawn or not,live draws,best promotions,scratch offs and a lot of different factors.

choose one or maybe two states if its hard to decide.

for me i'd have to say virginia has the best lottery followed by georgia.

Hmmm the best? Well everyone will have their own different opinion so no answer to this question can be a "fact". I havent played every states lottery game so I cant  give an opinion on which one is the "best", but I like New York.

I've also heard Massachusetts has a nice Pick 4 game in which you  can play first 3 dgits of the number or last 3 digits and also front pair and rear, and I think even the middle two numbers!

I check state results everyday and i've realized a lot of My favorite Pick 3 and Pick 4 numbers I like to play in New York seem to hit ALL the time in Connecticut. I  like Connecticut's Lottery for this reason ...maybe since alot of my favorite #'s come out in CT I should move there but I wouldn want to I love it here in NEw York. Maybe I will start taking a few drives to connecticut a fews time a week to play pick 3 and pick 4...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          9215 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2010, 1:33 am - IP Logged

This is from the Massachusetts lottery's website. There's no game called "Pick 3" or "Pick 4", only the "Numbers Game".

Here are the betting options:

Exact4  Exact3  Exact2 Exact1 Any4  First 3  Any  Last 3 Any

Also, here's some intersting info. about the game:

Did You Know?  

Older and wiser The Numbers Game is the oldest game still offered by the Massachusetts Lottery. The first drawing was on April 10, 1976. Originally designed to compete with the illegal numbers game, the Lottery’s Numbers Game gives players an opportunity to select their numbers, the type of bet, the length of time and dollar amount (beginning at $.25) they would like to play.

Before the technology age For the first five years of the game, the Lottery employed an offline system, which required a network of couriers to pick up betting slips daily from nearly 1,800 locations across the state. These slips were then delivered to Lottery headquarters in Braintree for microfilming and recording.

The current game In 1981, that process stopped when the Lottery acquired the most sophisticated computer betting terminals on the market at that time. These terminals were replaced in 1997. Today, players can place bets right up until shortly before the 12:55 p.m. mid-day or the 7:57 p.m. evening drawings.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
            Miami
            United States
            Member #62793
            July 9, 2008
            669 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:10 am - IP Logged

I've said it before, Massachusetts has the best scratch-offs. In terms of prizes, variety and the number of winners I don't think anywhere else comes close. So far this month they've already had seven big winners.

Conversely, aside from the two multi-state games they have their online games suck. No one ever wins.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:24 am - IP Logged

All things considered, game selection, drawing methods, and most importantly, payout percentages, I've got to go with Massachusetts.

(insert signature here)

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                North Jersey
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                18115 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2010, 3:40 am - IP Logged

IMHO   -    New york..

It doesn't matter who hurt you, or broke you down

It only matters who made you smile again.         

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  21653 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2010, 7:30 am - IP Logged

This is from the Massachusetts lottery's website. There's no game called "Pick 3" or "Pick 4", only the "Numbers Game".

Here are the betting options:

Exact4  Exact3  Exact2 Exact1 Any4  First 3  Any  Last 3 Any

Also, here's some intersting info. about the game:

Did You Know?  

Older and wiser The Numbers Game is the oldest game still offered by the Massachusetts Lottery. The first drawing was on April 10, 1976. Originally designed to compete with the illegal numbers game, the Lottery’s Numbers Game gives players an opportunity to select their numbers, the type of bet, the length of time and dollar amount (beginning at $.25) they would like to play.

Before the technology age For the first five years of the game, the Lottery employed an offline system, which required a network of couriers to pick up betting slips daily from nearly 1,800 locations across the state. These slips were then delivered to Lottery headquarters in Braintree for microfilming and recording.

The current game In 1981, that process stopped when the Lottery acquired the most sophisticated computer betting terminals on the market at that time. These terminals were replaced in 1997. Today, players can place bets right up until shortly before the 12:55 p.m. mid-day or the 7:57 p.m. evening drawings.

I believe NJ had the very first computer terminal lottery machines in the country.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2010, 7:44 am - IP Logged

For what I've seen. Illinois.

Live drawings. Wis computer  Illinois drawing 9:22 CT WGN....

6 for 6 drawing starts at 2 mil and goes up at least 250,000 3 times a week. In Wis it starts at 1 mil and sits there a month then maybe it goes up 100,000.

5 for 5 drawing starts at 100,000 goes to 175k, 250K, 325k, 450K.. In Wis it goes 12K, 30K, 42K, 62K, 85K, 115K.

But Wis has supercash, 1.6K odds, 350K guaranteed up to 20 prizes daily. 6 for 6   39 computer balls.

But Wis computer is better. You know within 10 minutes whether anybody won the state prize.

Illinois scratch.   $3 gets you 50K, $5 gets you 100K, $10 gets you a million... IN Illinois  $2 gets you 20K OR another one gets you $50K a year for life.

MarkP

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      5653 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

we have a state lottery report card here, go to results and scroll down, it will tell you the best states.

The lottery report card is based on how the drawings are conducted; IE. mechanical drawings versus RNG drawings. Currently there are 13 state lotteries tied with 100% true lottery drawings. Iowa and West Virginia offer Hot Lotto and Ohio has Ten Oh which are all RNG drawn so those states are given a lower rating even though their other games have the same 100% true drawings ratings as the top 13 states. Scratch-off games are not part of the report card and they represent well over half of all lottery play in every state lottery.

To get a better analysis on which state has the best lottery, we would need to examine game to game. The Kentucky pick-3 game pays off at $600 to $1 so that game would be superior to any state lottery paying $500 to $1. Some pick-3 games are subjective to player preferences; Massachusetts and Texas offer prop bets on their games. PA offers Quinto which can be played as a pick-3, pick-4, and pick-5.

The 5/39, 6/49, pick-10 keno style games could be measured by overall payoffs. There is no way to measure unique games like Cash 25 and Quinto.

I'm suspect of state lotteries with specific profit agendas where players could worse odds because of bottom lines. State with player savvy lottery directors without specific profit agendas are probably much better. Don't want to dwell on Tennessee but when they had to cut costs trying to meet their scholarship goals, the actually created one of the worst state lotteries. While North Carolina is currently rated in the top 13 100%, they too have an educational profit goal which could make their games less attractive to players.

Another way to rank state lotteries would be per capita sales between states that offer pick-3, pick-4 and lotto type games. Massachusetts is $733 per capita with sales of $4.809 billion compared to N.Y. with $391 and $7.568 billion. Oddly enough, the Tennessee Lottery didn't report their sales so there is no per capita statistics.

http://www.ohiolottery.com/profits/compare.html

Very interesting topic, Mike!

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2010, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

W Va...then Va...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #77815
                          August 1, 2009
                          3292 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2010, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Florida (100% true lottery drawings)
                          True Drawings: Cash 3 Evening, Cash 3 Midday, Fantasy 5, Lotto, Mega Money, Play 4 Evening, Play 4 Midday, Powerball
                          Computerized: none

I live in Florida. So they get my vote. A+

Colt45ML's avatar - 4eyes
                            Jawja
                            United States
                            Member #87471
                            February 25, 2010
                            109 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

If I lived in Florida it would be thiers for me.  I like their lotto better.  Jackpots are bigger, and none of this mandatory annuitized 1 mil a year like Georgia.  But, best of all, no state income tax.  Of course it makes no difference for me since I live in Georgia, and they will get thiers even if I win another state's lottery.  Only things really bad about Florida lottery is their obstinence about not letting winnners claim anonomusly with trust or LLC, and the fact that they don't have Mega Millions yet.  Other states might be better, but I'm only going by those I'm familiar with.

Be sassy and be happy.

pcurtis's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              fayetteville tn
                              United States
                              Member #68983
                              January 3, 2009
                              1800 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2010, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I think Tennessee has the worst lottery in the USA by far.

Look at their payouts on trips in their pick 3 game compared to other states.

The highest payout they have ever had on trips is 628,000 dollars.

That sucks for a trip.