Welcome Guest
You last visited December 19, 2014, 1:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many different stores do you buy Scratch tickets from?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ipicknumbers.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How many different stores do you buy Scratch tickets from?

1 [ 3 ]  [12.50%]
2 to 5 [ 15 ]  [62.50%]
6 to 10 [ 2 ]  [8.33%]
11 to 50 [ 3 ]  [12.50%]
more than 50! [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103816
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2011, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Just out of curiosity, how many different stores do you think you buy scratch tickets from to spread around your chances of winning?

I guess a lot depends on how much you travel during the day, working on the road will present more convenience stores for you to stop at. Or some people may have their favorite corner store and owner that they prefer to buy from.

What's your situation?

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #104438
    January 14, 2011
    2197 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2011, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Id like to find my "lucky" store. Right now im in between 5 stores or so, and in losses from each store. The 2 Winn Dixies and 1 Publix have been just terrible for me. Another Publix is decent. Maybe because they had a $10K BDB winner there lately ?? But im done playing there now because I should of nabbed that ticket. Played that game to death there and someone won just a few tickets from where I left off one night.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
      Member #97731
      September 22, 2010
      321 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2011, 5:02 am - IP Logged

Id like to find my "lucky" store. Right now im in between 5 stores or so, and in losses from each store. The 2 Winn Dixies and 1 Publix have been just terrible for me. Another Publix is decent. Maybe because they had a $10K BDB winner there lately ?? But im done playing there now because I should of nabbed that ticket. Played that game to death there and someone won just a few tickets from where I left off one night.

That has really got to suck badly. I think that would drive me insane to find that someone had won right after I left off. It would eat at me in a way that would cause me some real severe mental problems for some time to come (as if I didn't already suffer from enough). I know it has happened to me in the past, and I suspect I have done it to others, albeit not a jackpot win, but $150. I bet some poor sucker bought 10 losers in a row and just gave up. I had someone buy a winner (or at least I believe a winner) right out from under my nose, after I had spent over $100 on the game, and then they suddenly left.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
        Nashville, TN
        United States
        Member #86740
        February 9, 2010
        479 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2011, 7:26 am - IP Logged

I put 2 - 5, mostly because I dont buy scratchers very often. I guess it may be a little more, but I try to keep it to about 5 of the same stores. Typically ones that I frequent often or ones that I have won on before just on a whim.

Plus you dont specify a time frame so I assume you just mean in general.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Listens to the wind
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          20602 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2011, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I get them at 3 different places, mostly because thats where I do other business. when I do get them it's because I have one or two dollars to spare.

There's only one US Flag

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103816
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2011, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Yeah, just in general, not lifetime stores or anything. Just the set of stores that you typically buy from nowadays.

I buy from a pool of about 12 different stores in my area, which includes a bunch of convenience stores and shops, some gas stations, and a couple of big grocery chains Ralphs and Vons that have the Scratcher vending machines. I drop a $20 on those once or twice a week while getting groceries, but they don't seem to win much.

Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103816
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I'd like to find a lucky store as well, that's why I expanded my search ring of stores to buy from. I think that is a better strategy, going after more locations. But that is debatable.

For regular lottery pick/draw games, it really doesn't matter which store you buy from, as everything is drawn centrally and the store has no influence on the outcome. Yeah, I know that every time the Mega Millions gets huge, the local news always does a big story on some "lucky store" that sold a few multi-million jackpots in the past, as people are crowding the place standing in line to buy from there. I look at that and scratch my head...if a store hit that much, its only due to higher traffic. And I'd probably avoid that store if it just hit, like a slot machine that just hit and is now cold.

But for Scratchers, where you buy does affect the outcome, at least in theory. At least I feel like if I go out to more stores that I'm participating in actively changing the odds as opposed to buying at just one store and letting the odds come to me. But who knows, buying at a single store over and over again that hasn't been issued a winner in a while may also be a good bet.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95881
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: February 2, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Dayum James sorry to hear that...ouch

I'm dreading the day I see on the FL Lottery site that someone wins a jackpot on a game I play heavily from one of my primary stores. I dont want to have that gut wrenching feeling.

You will get it man just keep at it! Time to find a primary store.

There is a newer Publix (2-3 years old) not far from me that hasnt had a big jackpot yet. Im going to use that as my primary. The other Publix even closer to me has had several $250K jackpots in the last 2 years. I cant see that one getting a biggie anytime soon. I also have a weird (lucky) feeling about the first Publix, which is why I continue to play there.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104438
                  January 14, 2011
                  2197 Posts
                  Posted: February 2, 2011, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

That has really got to suck badly. I think that would drive me insane to find that someone had won right after I left off. It would eat at me in a way that would cause me some real severe mental problems for some time to come (as if I didn't already suffer from enough). I know it has happened to me in the past, and I suspect I have done it to others, albeit not a jackpot win, but $150. I bet some poor sucker bought 10 losers in a row and just gave up. I had someone buy a winner (or at least I believe a winner) right out from under my nose, after I had spent over $100 on the game, and then they suddenly left.

I dont know who won yet but I know it wasn't the only other avid scratch off player besides me. He does not play BDB.

Awful feeling, yes. Came right after Christmas the store is only 2 miles from my home too. It would make me feel better if it were bought from the counter and not the machine as I hate buying from the counter.

FL
                    United States
                    Member #104950
                    January 22, 2011
                    105 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2011, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm with James1 on buying from the machines.   I like it, I just wish the ticket number and whether it counts up or down (preferably just count up all the time as a standard so I know and so it starts from 000 or some tickets 001).

I voted 2 to 5 stores as my regulars.  I do have a lucky store, although, I haven't been too lucky there as yet, not horrible probably just a little less than break even.  But they are really nice, I think they have the highest volume sales and they have a Winners hall of fame, with multiple 10K, 1K, 500 and today they showed an Ace in the hole $1 ticket get an elusive 100.00 (1in~2,000)win.

But I may grab tickets at 10 -12 stores of course if I'm traveling and stopping anywhere for anything I'll grab a ticket.  My main thing is watching the gas,

My stores are on the path to and from work.

I thought I had a Lucky Publix store but I've been ruffed up two or three times there.  Don't know if I should go back. I lost over 300 on the stupid Florida Millionaire club that I had already agreed with B$Rizzle that there might not be a winner for a while and especially since a 1 Mil just hit in Tampa 20miles from me at a gas station, (I've gotten gas there but not tickets).  This is because the winners are usually spread out with time and distance.  And we saw that the next winner was over Jacksonville way (Palatka), and then the 3rd near Orlando somewhere (in the lotto ticket office, i guess).

Anyway, I've dropped that FMC and picking back up on BDB again for now.  I don't know about that 200,000 Lucky for LIfe, odds did not look good there, 1 in 3Mil for  the top prize and then also 1 in 3Mil for 50K? really, that doesn't sound good at all, also bad odds for a 20K prize.  It also has that *for a re-order and it just seems like too many tickets and not enough winning tickets within reach.

The Ville, FL
                      United States
                      Member #95881
                      August 19, 2010
                      1708 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm with James1 on buying from the machines.   I like it, I just wish the ticket number and whether it counts up or down (preferably just count up all the time as a standard so I know and so it starts from 000 or some tickets 001).

I voted 2 to 5 stores as my regulars.  I do have a lucky store, although, I haven't been too lucky there as yet, not horrible probably just a little less than break even.  But they are really nice, I think they have the highest volume sales and they have a Winners hall of fame, with multiple 10K, 1K, 500 and today they showed an Ace in the hole $1 ticket get an elusive 100.00 (1in~2,000)win.

But I may grab tickets at 10 -12 stores of course if I'm traveling and stopping anywhere for anything I'll grab a ticket.  My main thing is watching the gas,

My stores are on the path to and from work.

I thought I had a Lucky Publix store but I've been ruffed up two or three times there.  Don't know if I should go back. I lost over 300 on the stupid Florida Millionaire club that I had already agreed with B$Rizzle that there might not be a winner for a while and especially since a 1 Mil just hit in Tampa 20miles from me at a gas station, (I've gotten gas there but not tickets).  This is because the winners are usually spread out with time and distance.  And we saw that the next winner was over Jacksonville way (Palatka), and then the 3rd near Orlando somewhere (in the lotto ticket office, i guess).

Anyway, I've dropped that FMC and picking back up on BDB again for now.  I don't know about that 200,000 Lucky for LIfe, odds did not look good there, 1 in 3Mil for  the top prize and then also 1 in 3Mil for 50K? really, that doesn't sound good at all, also bad odds for a 20K prize.  It also has that *for a re-order and it just seems like too many tickets and not enough winning tickets within reach.

Just an FYI, on the 200K for life,  the 1 in $3 Mill for the 50K is $50 K per year for 20 years ($1 Million)

But still kinda sh*tty odds for $1 Million dollar prize...For some reason I keep wanting to play this game. Ive won $500 about 3-4 times and $200 several times... There hasnt been a winner since August and it is due a winner soon.

Good luck

Florida
                        United States
                        Member #104438
                        January 14, 2011
                        2197 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Just an FYI, on the 200K for life,  the 1 in $3 Mill for the 50K is $50 K per year for 20 years ($1 Million)

But still kinda sh*tty odds for $1 Million dollar prize...For some reason I keep wanting to play this game. Ive won $500 about 3-4 times and $200 several times... There hasnt been a winner since August and it is due a winner soon.

Good luck

Im curious to know how many times have you won $500 or more on each of the $20 scratchers out there ?

Ive never seen a decent win Lucky for Life anywhere. Even very few Monopoly.

The Ville, FL
                          United States
                          Member #95881
                          August 19, 2010
                          1708 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Im curious to know how many times have you won $500 or more on each of the $20 scratchers out there ?

Unfortunately I havent saved all of the tickets because many retailrs (especially Winn Wixie) wont allow players to keep winning tickets.

In my best guess Ive probably won the following over the past 1.5 years or so:

200 Lucky for Life - $500 3-4 times... $200 probably 6 times or so

BDB $500 x 2-3 times & .....$1000 x1

$3 Mill Monopoly - $500 x1 time

Gold Rush $500 x 6 times

I used to play alot more than I do now. I have really cut back on my scratch playing and now focus most of my energy on Fantasy 5. My goal is to hit Fantasy 5 sometime this year. I used to play way more than I should have but everyone has their hobby.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                            Nashville, TN
                            United States
                            Member #86740
                            February 9, 2010
                            479 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2011, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

James have you checked out stores that display winning tickets somewhere?

I dont see a lot of grocery stores in TN do it, but lots of these tobacco shops and some gas stations will post the actual ticket if it is under 600, and will do a copy of larger winners.

This is good to get insight on what tickets are hitting (or not)

The Ville, FL
                              United States
                              Member #95881
                              August 19, 2010
                              1708 Posts
                              Posted: February 2, 2011, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

James have you checked out stores that display winning tickets somewhere?

I dont see a lot of grocery stores in TN do it, but lots of these tobacco shops and some gas stations will post the actual ticket if it is under 600, and will do a copy of larger winners.

This is good to get insight on what tickets are hitting (or not)

speaking of - there is a gas station on the FL/GA border which I go to sometimes to buy Mega Millions tickets when the jackpot is high, and that retailer must have 1000 or so winners plastered on the wall. Its just nuts...Its kinda cool to see the different winning tickets. The winners all range from like $500-$20,000