Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:31 am
You last visited October 25, 2014, 5:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Only one scratch off in TN has NO 3-letter codes. Why is that?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 3 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
Nashville, TN
United States
Member #86740
February 9, 2010
478 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2011, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

The 2 Million Dollar Bonanza scratcher (a $20 ticket) does not contain the 3 letters within the playing numbers. This game came out a few months ago in February I think but I have noticed after scratching the entire area, there are no letters.

Why do lotteries do this?

This is the first scratch off in TN that I have seen that doesnt contain the letters. Is it because the ticket is printed by a different company?

Even the scratchers released since this one all have the letters, and the 2 other $20 games also carry them.

Anyone know what is up with this?

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2011, 2:11 am - IP Logged

That is interesting.  Of course as you know the codes are to I.D. a winner.  I doubt it was printed by a different company since TEL has a contract with a ticket printing company. There may have been a printing glitch which cased them NOT to print letters on this particular ticket. (Not saying the tickets are flawed)  OR... This could be a new evolution.  Although the newer tickets have them... they still may have been printed before Bonanza.  Lottery officials vote on logistics each quarter and order each scratch game several months in advance.  For instance... the new Quarter begins in July...  May and June tickets are already in the hands of TEL.  It is up to them to decide when and watch batch to start at the start of each month. 

So... Bonanza could have been the last batch the printing company printed with these changes for the quarter.  I guess only time will tell.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Nashville, TN
      United States
      Member #86740
      February 9, 2010
      478 Posts
      Posted: April 25, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

That is interesting.  Of course as you know the codes are to I.D. a winner.  I doubt it was printed by a different company since TEL has a contract with a ticket printing company. There may have been a printing glitch which cased them NOT to print letters on this particular ticket. (Not saying the tickets are flawed)  OR... This could be a new evolution.  Although the newer tickets have them... they still may have been printed before Bonanza.  Lottery officials vote on logistics each quarter and order each scratch game several months in advance.  For instance... the new Quarter begins in July...  May and June tickets are already in the hands of TEL.  It is up to them to decide when and watch batch to start at the start of each month. 

So... Bonanza could have been the last batch the printing company printed with these changes for the quarter.  I guess only time will tell.

OK, thank you for that info.

Yeah, I think time will tell. It is probably a new direction they are going, but since the letters are used to ID a winner I wonder how they will go about it in the future, if they do in fact continue to leave them off. Maybe there are other markings they use now...I dont play that game enough to really look at it and see.

I think other states use barcodes and other types of ID for their tickets -- maybe that is what TN is starting to do.

Nashville, TN
        United States
        Member #86740
        February 9, 2010
        478 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2011, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

... maybe it was to gear up for the new crossword puzzle that just came out. This new game does not have the letter codes either.

One reason could be because it involves matching of letters so they didnt want to confuse people or have people claim that the 3 letter code could be part of the puzzle...