Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:42 pm
You last visited October 31, 2014, 4:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

California Hot Spot

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 4 years ago by JosephusMinimus.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #105316
January 29, 2011
433 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2011, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Does California Lottery actually have an ongoing 4 minute draw keno game?

The California website: http://www.calottery.com/Games/HotSpot/ gives it space on the homepage and details in a section devoted to how to play, etc, but nowhere on the site can I find anything telling players how they'd find out whether the numbers they bought won or lost.

Is this just a soon-to-be game in California, or is an ongoing game nobody plays, or people play but don't attempt to check whether they won?

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5350 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2011, 11:15 am - IP Logged

I know that when I lived there about 5 years ago, they had a game that was similar to the p-3 but it involved horses, which of course was computerized and parimutuel. There were 12 horses to choose from, and no doubles or triples like the p-3. They had a draw every 5 minutes and they were available to play at any location pretty much. I played at the local liquor store or convenience store that sold lottery tickets, but there were other locations like bars where you could have a drink and bet while watching the draw live on a TV screen.

I believe they had a Keno, but as far as checking the results of both games online, I doubt it exists because it would have to be updated every 5 minutes. Not saying it couldn't be automated, but the fact that the draw is every 4 or 5 minutes leads me to believe that the people playing are already there waiting for the results, so there would be no need to post it online. It's not like they buy a ticket and go home only to check their ticket/s 5 hours later having to search for the winner 100 draws ago...lol...It's more like going to an off track betting place for a few minutes or hours and going home after you're done.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5350 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2011, 11:19 am - IP Logged

I might add that I've never seen someone play just once and leave. It's very addictive because knowing the next draw is just a minute or two away makes the player want to spend 30 minutes or more trying to either win more money because of greed or trying to get his or her money back...lol

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103816
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Does California Lottery actually have an ongoing 4 minute draw keno game?

The California website: http://www.calottery.com/Games/HotSpot/ gives it space on the homepage and details in a section devoted to how to play, etc, but nowhere on the site can I find anything telling players how they'd find out whether the numbers they bought won or lost.

Is this just a soon-to-be game in California, or is an ongoing game nobody plays, or people play but don't attempt to check whether they won?

Yes, its there. I've seen a few people playing it watching the monitor at the store, but that is the one calottery game I have never played.

I guess the fact that you have to stand around in the liquor store watching a monitor is not my idea of fun. And also a turnoff is the fact that there is no easy way to view past winning numbers or any kind or payout stats on the calottery website, unlike all the other games.

And apparently a lot of people do play, I was surprised it was as high as 3.9% of all revenue. But it has been steadily declining each year. They just happen to be doing a promotion of higher payouts on Hot Spot for the next few weeks, probably to try and boost sagging sales, so maybe I will give it a spin.

Hot Spot

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2011, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

A game where you have to trust a convenience store clerk to tell you if you've won or not is not one I would play.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103816
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2011, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

A game where you have to trust a convenience store clerk to tell you if you've won or not is not one I would play.

I agree with that. But luckily many stores here in CA have self-service ticket scanners that tell you exactly how much each ticket won. So you can scan first to see the amount before giving it to the clerk.

But when I see these other stories of jackpot winners that say they went down to the store and gave it to the clerk and were surprised by how much they won....uh... for any game I play, I know EXACTLY how much I won before I even go down to the store to cash it in. I sometimes use the self-service scanners to double check though. For Hot Spot, pre-checking would be required.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: April 24, 2011, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I agree with that. But luckily many stores here in CA have self-service ticket scanners that tell you exactly how much each ticket won. So you can scan first to see the amount before giving it to the clerk.

But when I see these other stories of jackpot winners that say they went down to the store and gave it to the clerk and were surprised by how much they won....uh... for any game I play, I know EXACTLY how much I won before I even go down to the store to cash it in. I sometimes use the self-service scanners to double check though. For Hot Spot, pre-checking would be required.

Ah scanners, you're lucky. Our lottery director won't allow them in Tennessee.

She says it makes her feel like we don't trust her and would be checking up on her to make sure she's being honest. She said she's not going to put up with that kind of disrespect from anybody and if we don't like it we can go play in Kentucky with the morons.

She said she's tired of this crap with everybody complaining about corruption all the time. She said she did a thorough investigation of herself and didn't find a dam thing wrong so all of us stupid lottery players can go lay an egg for all she cares.

Leastways that's what I heard from my neighbor, Mulehead Jenkins.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                9124 Posts
                Posted: April 24, 2011, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Missouri has Keno every few minutes. The last time we were there we played one ticket.

Play the ticker, stick it in the scanner, "Sorry, not a winner".

I was thinking, "Sure, who's to know?" As far as I saw, there was no way to find oput the numbers draen for that play, only the scanner telling you if you won or not.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #105316
                  January 29, 2011
                  433 Posts
                  Posted: April 24, 2011, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I know that when I lived there about 5 years ago, they had a game that was similar to the p-3 but it involved horses, which of course was computerized and parimutuel. There were 12 horses to choose from, and no doubles or triples like the p-3. They had a draw every 5 minutes and they were available to play at any location pretty much. I played at the local liquor store or convenience store that sold lottery tickets, but there were other locations like bars where you could have a drink and bet while watching the draw live on a TV screen.

I believe they had a Keno, but as far as checking the results of both games online, I doubt it exists because it would have to be updated every 5 minutes. Not saying it couldn't be automated, but the fact that the draw is every 4 or 5 minutes leads me to believe that the people playing are already there waiting for the results, so there would be no need to post it online. It's not like they buy a ticket and go home only to check their ticket/s 5 hours later having to search for the winner 100 draws ago...lol...It's more like going to an off track betting place for a few minutes or hours and going home after you're done.

Seems California's been left behind in automation, maybe.  Oregon posts archives of 4 minute draw keno games backward beginning yesterday.  So do Washington, DC, Michigan, Kansas, Massachusetts, Georgia, Ohio, New York and Rhode Island.  Nebraska's otherwise strange Big Red quasi official ball drop keno games located at restaurants/bars in several cities even post the draw results for each city and keep them posted for a week following the draws.

http://www.bigredkeno.com/results.htm

http://www.dclottery.com/games/keno/pastdata.aspx

http://www.galottery.com/games/draw-games/keno

http://www.ohiolottery.com/Games/Keno.aspx

http://www.rilot.com/Keno_OnTheGo_mck.asp

http://www.kslottery.com/Keno/KenoHowToPlay.htm

http://www.masslottery.com/games/keno.html

http://milottery.state.mi.us/msl-ck-results.php

http://nylottery.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_jggBC3kDBPE0MLC0dnA09vT0fLQDNvA0dfU30_j_zcVP1I_ShzXKoCgw30I3NS0xOTK_ULst0cAYmfjdU!/dl3/d3/L0lJSklna21BL0lKakFBRXlBQkVSQ0pBISEvNEZHZ3NvMFZ2emE5SUFnIS83X1NQVEZUVkk0MTg4QUMwSUtJQTlRNkswUVMwL2xtYWZFNDA1MjAwMDE!/?PC_7_SPTFTVI4188AC0IKIA9Q6K0QS0_WCM_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NYSL+Content+Library/NYSL+Internet+Site/Home/Daily+Games/QUICK+DRAW/

It's surprising anyone would play in a setting where the records of the draws aren't posted by the State Lottery Commission.

Missouri Lottery Commission evidently doesn't want anyone to be able to examine what they're doing by looking over past draws, but at least they provide players with a way they can allow the MO LC to tell them they didn't win by typing in the numbers they bought.

http://www.molottery.com/numbers/check_clubKeno_tickets.jsp

United States
                    Member #105316
                    January 29, 2011
                    433 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2011, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Yes, its there. I've seen a few people playing it watching the monitor at the store, but that is the one calottery game I have never played.

I guess the fact that you have to stand around in the liquor store watching a monitor is not my idea of fun. And also a turnoff is the fact that there is no easy way to view past winning numbers or any kind or payout stats on the calottery website, unlike all the other games.

And apparently a lot of people do play, I was surprised it was as high as 3.9% of all revenue. But it has been steadily declining each year. They just happen to be doing a promotion of higher payouts on Hot Spot for the next few weeks, probably to try and boost sagging sales, so maybe I will give it a spin.

Hot Spot

I wonder if higher payouts mightn't only be a small piece of the problem of sagging sales.  Those 4 minute draw games have done well enough to keep them going in Nebraska, in Massachusetts since 1991, in Oregon since sometime in the 1990s, and enough to get them started in other states mentioned earlier.

Maybe it's just a matter of whether the LCs hire professionals to devise their games and how they're presented to the public, or they hire the out-of-work nephew of the lottery commissioner with a degree in Industrial Arts for that job.

United States
                      Member #105316
                      January 29, 2011
                      433 Posts
                      Posted: April 25, 2011, 8:02 am - IP Logged

So the answer is the game exists and that Calfornia Lottery designed it to be played in liquor stores where people could hang around and watch a screen showing the draw results immediately after the draw.

And the sales are sagging.  What a surprise.

Sounds as though California has a lot of potential players if more people would hang around liquor stores.  Or the CA LC could give the game a twist to make it more readily available to a wider range of players as other states have done.

At least it doesn't sound as though CA LC is guilty of unscrupulous behavior.

Missouri Lottery Commission might be.

hosni's avatar - hosni
                        Escondido, CA
                        United States
                        Member #70
                        December 31, 2001
                        11232 Posts
                        Posted: April 25, 2011, 8:08 am - IP Logged

CA still has a Horse game called Daily Derby. http://www.calottery.com/Games/DailyDerby/HowtoPlay/

Retired Grumman Aerospace Corporation F-14 Tomcat AVIONICS Field Engineer Extraordinaire

United States
                          Member #105316
                          January 29, 2011
                          433 Posts
                          Posted: April 25, 2011, 8:12 am - IP Logged

CA still has a Horse game called Daily Derby. http://www.calottery.com/Games/DailyDerby/HowtoPlay/

Do players have a way of finding out whether they won?

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5350 Posts
                            Posted: April 25, 2011, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Do players have a way of finding out whether they won?

Now that Hosni reminded me of it, I believe the game I was writing about earlier was this game, Daily derby. You can check If you won any store that sells tickets.

United States
                              Member #105316
                              January 29, 2011
                              433 Posts
                              Posted: April 25, 2011, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Now that Hosni reminded me of it, I believe the game I was writing about earlier was this game, Daily derby. You can check If you won any store that sells tickets.

The results are posted on their website, just as they ought to be.

http://www.calottery.com/Games/DailyDerby/WinningNumbers/

At least players don't have to hang around watching a screen in a liquor store to find out whether they won.