Welcome Guest
The time is now 4:41 am
You last visited July 29, 2014, 4:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illinois lottery drama

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #112180
June 12, 2011
2 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2011, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I wonder if you guys can give me some advice.  My dad plays the Illinois Lottery frequently.  6 years ago he went into a convenience store and scanned the ticket but it said to see the clerk.  When he gave the ticket to the clerk, the guy tried to talk to him about some other topic and finally told him his ticket wasn't a winner.  He noticed the clerk was no longer working there after a couple of weeks and asked the other clerk what happened...he said the guy won 3 million in the lotto and went back to Pakistan.  My dad has been struggling with this for a few years now and only recently told me.  For you guys in Illinois, does the scanner say "Winner" even if it's a huge jackpot or does it say to "see the clerk" if it above a certain threshold.  Does "see the clerk" come up for other reasons like a wrinkled ticket so the barcode is unreadable.  Obviously, my dad has learned the errors of his ways and checks all the tickets himself online and signs every ticket regardless.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Money 20bags2014.jpg
    343/433/334
    United States
    Member #81314
    October 16, 2009
    9849 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if you guys can give me some advice.  My dad plays the Illinois Lottery frequently.  6 years ago he went into a convenience store and scanned the ticket but it said to see the clerk.  When he gave the ticket to the clerk, the guy tried to talk to him about some other topic and finally told him his ticket wasn't a winner.  He noticed the clerk was no longer working there after a couple of weeks and asked the other clerk what happened...he said the guy won 3 million in the lotto and went back to Pakistan.  My dad has been struggling with this for a few years now and only recently told me.  For you guys in Illinois, does the scanner say "Winner" even if it's a huge jackpot or does it say to "see the clerk" if it above a certain threshold.  Does "see the clerk" come up for other reasons like a wrinkled ticket so the barcode is unreadable.  Obviously, my dad has learned the errors of his ways and checks all the tickets himself online and signs every ticket regardless.

That's a shame.

Shame on it all.

:-(

Analysis:  The examination and evaluation of the relevant information to select the best course of action from among various alternatives.Type

“If the future doesn't come toward you, you have to go fetch it”

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Sadly, it sounds like he got ripped big time. "See the Clerk" always means you have a winner in my experience. Probably too late to do anything now but it wouldn't cost anything to notify the Lottery People and see what they say.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112972
        June 29, 2011
        3096 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Sadly, it sounds like he got ripped big time. "See the Clerk" always means you have a winner in my experience. Probably too late to do anything now but it wouldn't cost anything to notify the Lottery People and see what they say.

totally agree,i don't use the store scanner anymore,i check the newspaper and double check on the website,

newspapers have had missprints now and then so you need two sources.

when you have a winner the scanner should remind you to sign ticket,

not tell you to "see clerk"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

DAMDAM's avatar - animal bear.jpg
          Illinois,
          United States
          Member #99787
          October 31, 2010
          498 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

In the past the Illinois Lottery scanner would read see clerk if the: Ticket was over a year old

Or a nice nice jack pot amount and no it would not have the amount of money won. If it was unreadable it would not read see clerk.

But I do remember 2 years ago in the summer those scanner would read see clerk on Lotto and Little Lotto tickets and the tickets were not winner, It was happening on several of our lottery pool tickets at work. OMG I remmber people were ready to kill that little clerk.

Thank god we had taking couples of the tickets the night before. 

DAM DAM DAM!!!!!!!

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            1791 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

what he said ...... I hope some good comes from your inquery Sad Cheers

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
              Rochester
              United States
              Member #103285
              January 1, 2011
              550 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

This has happened more than once in various states, very sad. You have to check your tickets yourself. There are various ways to do it. However, I would alert the Illinois lottery commission. I'm sorry for your Dad.

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                Cordova,Al.
                United States
                Member #104485
                January 15, 2011
                272 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2011, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Disapproveyes, I'm hateing to say this , he definitely was rip- off . when the see clerk comes up , the pay- out is higher then the what a store can pay it means you,re about to owe uncle Sam, The clerk should have give him lottery forms to fill out that speed up the process when it already - fill - out. to get the check in your hand same day in one of the local lottery offices- depending on the amount of the cash pay- out $250,000. is about as highest you can get from a local lottery office . but from what I'm hearing you say , he need to go to main branch lottery office in Springfield, Ill.

United States
                  Member #115807
                  August 28, 2011
                  127 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2011, 10:36 am - IP Logged

If your dad was scammed by a clerk, it wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Actually, there was an expose on a 20/20 or Dateline type show a few years ago about store clerks who pocket winning tickets and tell the customer it is a loser.

That's why I always ask for my ticket back, even if they say it isn't a winner.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112972
                    June 29, 2011
                    3096 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2011, 11:52 am - IP Logged

If your dad was scammed by a clerk, it wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Actually, there was an expose on a 20/20 or Dateline type show a few years ago about store clerks who pocket winning tickets and tell the customer it is a loser.

That's why I always ask for my ticket back, even if they say it isn't a winner.

yea, you need to save the losers too for tax purposes.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      17738 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2011, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I think there are a couple of clerks at one of the gas station where I buy lottery tickets that has been working on a scheme to scam winners in the future.  The other clerks after scanning tickets return them them to customers winners and losers but these two keep them claiming it's necessary for record keeping and even throw away the losers without the customers permission.

One of the other clerks informed me that the terminal record winners that are paid automatically and they only keep the receipt of the winners which they also show the customers if the tickets are winners.

I think these two clerks are trying to make it look normal for them to keep tickets and throw away losers so it will look normal when they run their scam.  They will be surprised if I ever have a big winner and ask them to check it because I always mark the winning numbers on my tickets and if they win more than $10, I sign them too.  In fact the next time I have a $150+ winner, I plan on cashing it when one of them are on duty to see what happens.

* you don't need more tickets * 
                      * just the right ticket * 
                         Wink 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2011, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I think there are a couple of clerks at one of the gas station where I buy lottery tickets that has been working on a scheme to scam winners in the future.  The other clerks after scanning tickets return them them to customers winners and losers but these two keep them claiming it's necessary for record keeping and even throw away the losers without the customers permission.

One of the other clerks informed me that the terminal record winners that are paid automatically and they only keep the receipt of the winners which they also show the customers if the tickets are winners.

I think these two clerks are trying to make it look normal for them to keep tickets and throw away losers so it will look normal when they run their scam.  They will be surprised if I ever have a big winner and ask them to check it because I always mark the winning numbers on my tickets and if they win more than $10, I sign them too.  In fact the next time I have a $150+ winner, I plan on cashing it when one of them are on duty to see what happens.

I hope you catch em, RJ.

Give em a smack upside the head for me.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          8935 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Good plan, RJOh, but I wouldn't play there anymore.

Maybe 'someone' should clue the state lottery in and they could have one of their agents play there.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.