Welcome Guest
The time is now 12:47 am
You last visited November 23, 2014, 12:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Second Chance Drawing For $5-10 Million.

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111446
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2012, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Presently, with all participating states, there are varying secondary prizes being awarded for all LOSING scratch tickets per state. Prize levels typically are in the $5,000-$1,000,000 range. If all states pooled together, would you be interested in a $5-10 Million dollar instant secondary prize award? This would involve a modest $.25-1.00 surcharge per ticket depending on the denomination. ($1-$2-$5-$10-$20 etc.)   What?  Roll Eyes

Similar to the new Powerball enhanced odd's.

United States
    Member #111446
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2012, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Presently, with all participating states, there are varying secondary prizes being awarded for all LOSING scratch tickets per state. Prize levels typically are in the $5,000-$1,000,000 range. If all states pooled together, would you be interested in a $5-10 Million dollar instant secondary prize award? This would involve a modest $.25-1.00 surcharge per ticket depending on the denomination. ($1-$2-$5-$10-$20 etc.)   What?  Roll Eyes

From what I have read and seen in other states (I'm from NH, the odd's are extremely good and in your favor of nabbing these secondary prizes, first off most people just throw away their losing tickets, or just flat out do not participate giving you odd's of sometimes 1: 1000 of winning a major prize!!!)

I hate to admit this, but when I make my once a week trip to MASS. to purchase their scratch tickets, I make it a point to go through the outside trash barrels to scoop up thrown away tickets and take them with me in my Mercedes, to make a quick getaway! I have spotted several winning tickets over the past 5 years ranging from $ 5-200.  Small change, but hey it was in the trash and I had to do nothing to earn it. All losing tickets can be entered online for a chance to win Millions!   Banana

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2012, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I very rarely buy scratchers but I think the mood lately is generally against higher ticket prices.

Course the regular scratcher players may have a totally different take on it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
        Taunton, Ma
        United States
        Member #123010
        February 11, 2012
        136 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2012, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

I would be interested if theirs no surcharge. Why exactly would there have to be one? I mean they can always pull cash out of other areas to have funds for it. OR they can actually increase overall payout by a percentage. As it is Mass only pays out 52cents on the dollar which is actually one of the highest. You ask me, they could increase payout to 75% and still make a killing just not quite as much of a killing but hey it could spur the statewide economy too.

United States
          Member #111446
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2012, 7:41 am - IP Logged

I would be interested if theirs no surcharge. Why exactly would there have to be one? I mean they can always pull cash out of other areas to have funds for it. OR they can actually increase overall payout by a percentage. As it is Mass only pays out 52cents on the dollar which is actually one of the highest. You ask me, they could increase payout to 75% and still make a killing just not quite as much of a killing but hey it could spur the statewide economy too.

There doesn't need to be a surcharge, this was just a hypothetical proposition. Apparently from the lack of interest, I would safely conclude that this idea is dead in the water.     Dead

Very few people even bother with filling out losing tickets to enter for a chance to win a major prize.

I am officially euthanizing this proposal. There will be no pain or suffering involved, I promise.     Bash

May this poor conception rest eternally in perfect peace and bliss.     Blue Angel

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            2812 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2012, 8:26 am - IP Logged

can go to same grave yard as my idea of having  number of balls in the barrel change depending on the jackpot.

2014 winnings

JAN S 119/ W71;  FEB S90 /W 13 ; MAR S93/ W75;  APR S146/ W50 ; MAY S94/ W32 : JUN S98 /W 13 JUL S110 /W21; AUG S185 / W56 SEP S 140/W 13 ; OCT S 130 / W 66

S $1292W $450Tot -$840

United States
              Member #111446
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2012, 8:29 am - IP Logged

can go to same grave yard as my idea of having  number of balls in the barrel change depending on the jackpot.

Hey I like that one!   Hurray!

Taunton, Ma
                United States
                Member #123010
                February 11, 2012
                136 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2012, 11:55 am - IP Logged

There doesn't need to be a surcharge, this was just a hypothetical proposition. Apparently from the lack of interest, I would safely conclude that this idea is dead in the water.     Dead

Very few people even bother with filling out losing tickets to enter for a chance to win a major prize.

I am officially euthanizing this proposal. There will be no pain or suffering involved, I promise.     Bash

May this poor conception rest eternally in perfect peace and bliss.     Blue Angel

It's just this site doesn't appear to be full of people who scratch and enter second chance drawings. Most people in here tend to be number pickers. I however am a scratchoholic and I love the idea (albeit with no surcharge). Also, you're forgetting online is how most people send these entries. I would recommend it be an internet only drawing.So no need to fill out anything(just a claim form if you win). This makes it much easier and seamless.

United States
                  Member #111446
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2012, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

It's just this site doesn't appear to be full of people who scratch and enter second chance drawings. Most people in here tend to be number pickers. I however am a scratchoholic and I love the idea (albeit with no surcharge). Also, you're forgetting online is how most people send these entries. I would recommend it be an internet only drawing.So no need to fill out anything(just a claim form if you win). This makes it much easier and seamless.

Thanks Bigheadnick, appreciate the feedback. I agree, online is the way to go! Your in my neck of the woods, maybe I'll see ya one of these days?

Taunton, Ma
                    United States
                    Member #123010
                    February 11, 2012
                    136 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2012, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Maybe, I'm on the south shore but everytime I go to the mass lottery site it shows winners from north shore. I'm tempted to take a ride up there one day and buy a few hundred $ worth of scratchies. I can't seem to hit anything over a hundred and I play scratchies every single day. Now, I only play 2nd chance eligible ones so I can increase my chances overall. Don't give up on this idea. I think theirs a good chance they might do it. Maybe starts with only a few states then grows from there, much like powerball.

adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      2812 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2012, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

i also had an idea about the annual  mega jackpot we have here, i australia, its planned 6 months ahead its a lotto  draw where they boost the jackpot with money meant to be paid in prizes earlier in the year.

they could add to the draw  2nd chance money, and ea 2nd chance ticket could be kept and scanned for a free ticket in that 1 draw,. or ideed there could be a once a year draw JUST for 2nd chance tickets,  only way toenter is losing scratchers... would keep the  streets tidy as well,

2014 winnings

JAN S 119/ W71;  FEB S90 /W 13 ; MAR S93/ W75;  APR S146/ W50 ; MAY S94/ W32 : JUN S98 /W 13 JUL S110 /W21; AUG S185 / W56 SEP S 140/W 13 ; OCT S 130 / W 66

S $1292W $450Tot -$840

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94285
                        July 17, 2010
                        1706 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2012, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Idaho has a newish online game - Weekly Grand - that has a 2nd chance drawing.  I like having the chance but haven't won yet even tho I've entered every draw so I'm not sure how much better the odds are.

It's a $2 ticket.  The main game is played twice a week and is match 5 numbers and win a grand a week for a year, taxes paid by the lottery commission.

For the second chance drawing, you enter losing tickets for a hundred a week for a year, taxes paid.  Drawing at the end of each month, entries do not roll over to the next month.

I usually enter just a couple tickets one month, saving the rest to enter the next month so I'll have quite a few entries every other month.  Any tips on better methods to win the second chance draw?

United States
                          Member #111446
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2012, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Idaho has a newish online game - Weekly Grand - that has a 2nd chance drawing.  I like having the chance but haven't won yet even tho I've entered every draw so I'm not sure how much better the odds are.

It's a $2 ticket.  The main game is played twice a week and is match 5 numbers and win a grand a week for a year, taxes paid by the lottery commission.

For the second chance drawing, you enter losing tickets for a hundred a week for a year, taxes paid.  Drawing at the end of each month, entries do not roll over to the next month.

I usually enter just a couple tickets one month, saving the rest to enter the next month so I'll have quite a few entries every other month.  Any tips on better methods to win the second chance draw?

Wow..... we have the same exact $2 game in NH (same name, except it is pick 4 numbers out of pool of 35, and 1 out of a pool of 35).

But our multi-state game is different as they award 100 randomly picked ticket #'s $100 every week from our tri-state area automatically. (no need to enter your losing tickets on line).

Have come close many times....but no cigar.   Unhappy

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1841 Posts
                            Posted: February 15, 2012, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Indiana has a scratch off called "$5 Million Club" which has a second chance drawing of winning $5,000,000. It's $20. I've entered 4 of them so far.

Gonna win.Big Smile

adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              2812 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

wow $1k a week tax paid, thats a sweet prize. i would play that.

2014 winnings

S $1292W $450Tot -$840