Welcome Guest
The time is now 10:13 pm
You last visited October 20, 2014, 10:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is 50 Million Dollars Not Enough??

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 3 years ago by markp1950.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Orlando, FL
United States
Member #115789
August 28, 2011
259 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2012, 7:58 am - IP Logged

IMO, there weren't that many people playing PB for last night's PB drawing.

I'd be happy to get my bills paid at any  Jackpot.

I bought 1 QP and lost.

So, is 50 million Dollars not enough? Thud

hearsetrax's avatar - 78638c467ef281febf24383e126f74b6

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    1876 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2012, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I bought 1 QP and lost.

Twitch dunno about the rest of you ....... but I'd be very content with a 2nd tier prize without the multiplier

United States
      Member #111446
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2012, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I bought 1 QP and lost.

On the heels of a near record $364 Million jackpot, probably won by just one person, the wind was sucked out of many people's sails.   Thud

I think it will take another 4-6 drawings to pick up the pace again. At $2 a ticket, there were many lotto wannabee's that slapped down hundreds to have a shot at their dreams. Takes time to get over that post lottery depression.   Crying

$50 Million is still a STAGGERING amount of cash!!! I will always play regardless of the size.    Banana

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1841 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2012, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I didn't play because they doubled the price of a ticket, but the odds only went from 1 in 195 million to 1 in 175 million. Better odds my ass.

Gonna win.Big Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

It don't make me no nevermind how much the Jackpot is or how many people are playing.

I pays my money and takes my chances.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90537
            April 29, 2010
            3297 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2012, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I bought 1 QP and lost.

It take 6 rolls of $10 millions for powerball to reach $100 millions annuity. That is when the heavy hitters start spending big money on the powerball. I hold on to my $2 until $100 millions annuity, I want to win a really life changing jackpot and anything above $100 millions annuity offer me that.

We will have a lottery game with a $100 millions starting jackpot soon, if players continue to play powerball heavily every time it reaches $100 millions annuity.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
              NYC
              United States
              Member #117988
              October 19, 2011
              1744 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I'll be fine with $10,000. I don't understand why people like to lose their money when they Jackpots are so high, making someone else rich.

I play the jackpot when the jackpot starts at $20 million. Doesn't matter one bit.

Less players play at these amounts, so the odds are sort of in my favor. Thumbs Up

And to answer the question, $50 mill. is enough in my book. 

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90537
                April 29, 2010
                3297 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I'll be fine with $10,000. I don't understand why people like to lose their money when they Jackpots are so high, making someone else rich.

I play the jackpot when the jackpot starts at $20 million. Doesn't matter one bit.

Less players play at these amounts, so the odds are sort of in my favor. Thumbs Up

Players that buy powerball tickets below $100 millions annuity contribute more to lottery sales.when you spend $2 on powerball above $100 millions annuity your risk is lower because the odds of winning are 1 in 175 millions.

There is less combinations to be played above the $100 millions level to have a jackpot winner.

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90537
                  April 29, 2010
                  3297 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

How can your odds of winning be better if the playership is very low at lower jackpot levels than at $100 millions level.Your chances of winning are better at jackpot levels above $100 millions because there is more combinations in play or higher playership.

United States
                    Member #111446
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2012, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Players that buy powerball tickets below $100 millions annuity contribute more to lottery sales.when you spend $2 on powerball above $100 millions annuity your risk is lower because the odds of winning are 1 in 175 millions.

There is less combinations to be played above the $100 millions level to have a jackpot winner.

Must respectfully disagree with this premiss. The odds are always going to be 1:175 Million PERIOD. Whether 10 BILLION people play or 1 individual plays, those odds will not change.

Of course the more people playing, the more likely one of those combinations will come up, but will still remain at the  odds of 1:175 Million.

There may be more multiple winners as well, when more people are playing. The odds remain the same.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                      Washington State
                      United States
                      Member #33973
                      February 26, 2006
                      345 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2012, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

No, $50 million is not enough.  Though I'd be happy with a much smaller amount, I'll put my money where the best odds are per dollar spent in relation to the jackpot size.  I played the state Hit 5 for a while, until the jackpot of $730,000 was hit February 15.  With odds of  1:575,757, that seemed worth throwing a few dollars at, and at my age it would be plenty of money for me to upgrade my living style considerably with what time I have left.  But now Hit 5 is down to $100,000 again, so I think I'll throw my money at MM this week.  MM costs one buck a ticket with a cash jackpot of $52.4 million and PB is two bucks a ticket with a cash jackpot of $37.1 million. No comparison IMO of which is the better choice.  And I'm lucky enough to live in a state that now has both.

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90537
                        April 29, 2010
                        3297 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2012, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

No, $50 million is not enough.  Though I'd be happy with a much smaller amount, I'll put my money where the best odds are per dollar spent in relation to the jackpot size.  I played the state Hit 5 for a while, until the jackpot of $730,000 was hit February 15.  With odds of  1:575,757, that seemed worth throwing a few dollars at, and at my age it would be plenty of money for me to upgrade my living style considerably with what time I have left.  But now Hit 5 is down to $100,000 again, so I think I'll throw my money at MM this week.  MM costs one buck a ticket with a cash jackpot of $52.4 million and PB is two bucks a ticket with a cash jackpot of $37.1 million. No comparison IMO of which is the better choice.  And I'm lucky enough to live in a state that now has both.

Mega millions has the biggest cash value, therefore it is a better value for your money.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99034
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Why would I play for 50 million in Powerball when I can play for 60 million in MegaMillions, for half the price.  (Not that I did, b/c I only play for really big JPs... Playing every draw would put me over my budget.)

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #99034
                            October 18, 2010
                            1439 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Mega millions has the biggest cash value, therefore it is a better value for your money.

Not really.  I'd rather take a bet 1 dollar bet that has 1:100 odds of winning 120 dollars than a 1 dollar bet with 1:1000 odds of winning 900 dollars.

Of course 900 dollars is more, but the odds tell me that the first bet is way better.  The EV for the first one is 120%, while the EV on the second is 90%.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              2791 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

is there ever a dumb time to win lotto?

what i mean is some poeple say " the smart money" waits for the jackpot. to accumulates

who is brave enough to call a winner of the $40M pb , when there is no jackpot dumb?

2014 winnings

JAN -$48.50;  FEB  -$77.5; MAR -$18.05;  APR -$96.05 MAY -$61.10; JUN $-85; JUL $-88.9;AUG -$144.10

yearly grand totalspent = 938.05won= 318.8-$619.25