Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:53 am
You last visited October 22, 2014, 9:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball-Mega Millions Merger!

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 3 years ago by TheRightPrice.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Elkins,WV
United States
Member #3210
January 3, 2004
52 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2012, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Sooner or later Powerball-Mega Millions will merge creating a National Lottery. With jackpots starting around $100 million and jumping by 1oo million per draw.  we will then see $500 million jackpots common. What do you think.I Agree!

LucyMontgomery's avatar - Jadyen

United States
    Member #123818
    February 29, 2012
    43 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2012, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

i don't even know what i'd do with all that money. lets see what the dollar is worth in a few years and then i'll jump for joy ...or just be like 'meh' lol. 

also i wonder if this would create such a spectacle that they'd require press conference and no anon for national lottery?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2012, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Sooner or later Powerball-Mega Millions will merge creating a National Lottery. With jackpots starting around $100 million and jumping by 1oo million per draw.  we will then see $500 million jackpots common. What do you think.I Agree!

I imagine the Powerball people would like to see that right about now cuz it seems their price increase has put the whole game and it's players into kind of a malaise like the country was in under Jimmy Carter.

They've made you feel like you're getting ripped off if you play Powerball compared to Mega Millions. And actually, you are.

I think this greed shown by Powerball is going to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Lotta pissed off people out there.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #66774
        November 5, 2008
        319 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2012, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I imagine the Powerball people would like to see that right about now cuz it seems their price increase has put the whole game and it's players into kind of a malaise like the country was in under Jimmy Carter.

They've made you feel like you're getting ripped off if you play Powerball compared to Mega Millions. And actually, you are.

I think this greed shown by Powerball is going to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Lotta pissed off people out there.

I completely agree rdgrnr. There sure are and

I am one of them. I still play mega but powerball

can go to hell.

Rehab is for quitters.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112972
          June 29, 2011
          3163 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2012, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Right now between the 2 games we have 4 draws a week, how many would they have w/ a merged game?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
            Member #111446
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2012, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Right now between the 2 games we have 4 draws a week, how many would they have w/ a merged game?

There is no restriction for greed. Could go seven days a week. (If the Beatles had there way, it would be "Eight Days A Week")    Guitar

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112972
              June 29, 2011
              3163 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

There is no restriction for greed. Could go seven days a week. (If the Beatles had there way, it would be "Eight Days A Week")    Guitar

that may make it hard to start it at 100 mils.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                Member #111446
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2012, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

that may make it hard to start it at 100 mils.

So far this is all just hypothetical. A $100 million starting jackpot is just a discussion at this point. To push this through there may be all kinds of

compromises required to the starting jackpot levels, odds, prize structures, etc. to make this happen. In fact, it may never happen.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                  Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #4549
                  May 2, 2004
                  1028 Posts
                  Posted: March 18, 2012, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Boy Howdy!

Ridge, sounds like you were reading the same story I saw about the guy in Las Cruces, NM.

Goes into a truck stop and buys 7 QPs with Powerball on February 22. Pays $21 gets 7 individual tickets.

When he gets outside he notices two are identical then three are indentical......GEEZ! He says,   

ALL 7 ARE IDENTICAL!

And they all say QP.

IMAGINE GETTING 7 QPs printed within seconds of one another and ALL OF THEM IDENTICAL?

What are the odds of that?

Supposedly there is an ongoing investigation, but the real question is how many identical losing QP combinations are sold for each drawing?

Don't think I'd even consider buying any leftover or misprinted tickets the store has on hand after reading that.

Einstein was wrong. Insanity is playing new numbers and watching the old ones come up!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: March 18, 2012, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Boy Howdy!

Ridge, sounds like you were reading the same story I saw about the guy in Las Cruces, NM.

Goes into a truck stop and buys 7 QPs with Powerball on February 22. Pays $21 gets 7 individual tickets.

When he gets outside he notices two are identical then three are indentical......GEEZ! He says,   

ALL 7 ARE IDENTICAL!

And they all say QP.

IMAGINE GETTING 7 QPs printed within seconds of one another and ALL OF THEM IDENTICAL?

Supposedly there is an ongoing investigation, but the real question is how many identical losing QP combinations are sold for each drawing?

Don't think I'd even consider buying any leftover or misprinted tickets the store has on hand after reading that.

Holy Moly.

No, I didn't hear about that but it can't be a good thing.

But you have to expect it when you're dealing with computers and that's why I hate 'em being used in the lottery.

You just don't know if and when you're throwing your money at something that has absolutely no chance of winning whatsoever.

We've already learned that lesson the hard way in TN.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      5406 Posts
                      Posted: March 18, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Boy Howdy!

ALL 7 ARE IDENTICAL!

And they all say QP.

WOW that' CRAZY, garyo I did not hear wbout this either, please keep us update on the outcome of the investigation.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        2398 Posts
                        Posted: March 18, 2012, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

They do not need to merge now that they have this cross border agreement to sell lottery tickets in each others jurisdiction.  There up to 42 states I think that sell mega millions and powerball both at the same time.  So that is most of the country any way.  But you never can tell what is on the minds of lotto execs when they want to get the money come in maybe they will create another game for the U.S. to play.-weshar75

Bronx, NY
                          United States
                          Member #124203
                          March 8, 2012
                          105 Posts
                          Posted: March 18, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I am not surprised by this.  One time I bought 5 QP for PB on one ticket.  The first 3 numbers were the same in all of them.  I was like what the heck is this?!?!

As for the original topic.  Merging the two jackpot games would be so crazy.  IF PB is charging $2 for their game that now starts at $40 million,  imagine what they would want to charge for a game that starts with a $100 million jackpot.  Maybe $5??  That would be absolutely ridiculous.  They would probably keep 4 days a week though.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            5513 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Boy Howdy!

ALL 7 ARE IDENTICAL!

And they all say QP.

The 7 identical QPs; the clerk may have hit the "repeat 7 times" button instead whatever they push for 7 QPs.

I handed a clerk a MM playslip I'd used before that should have cost $5, but the machine printed out $86 worth of tickets. Some of the tickets were multi-draws and none of them had one line from my playslip. The machine either malfunctioned or the clerk made a big mistake because my playslip worked fine when I took to another store.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              5513 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2012, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

MM minimum jackpot averages about $18 million in sales and PB averages slightly higher. The $200 million MM jackpot had $66 million in sales. Who is going to pay the starting $100 million jackpots when they get hit in back to back drawings or 3 out of 5?