Welcome Guest
The time is now 9:39 pm
You last visited October 21, 2014, 9:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How are instant scratch off tickets printed and distributed equally

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Ignatius.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
56 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2012, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know how instant scratch off tickets are distributed. For instance a game has 20 million tickets printed how are they distributed so that the 6 top prize tickets are distributed equally and throughout the 20 million tickets evenly so that all 6 do not happen right away or in one shot etc etc. I ma just wondering if anyone really knows how this system works?

Belgium
    Member #128223
    May 19, 2012
    96 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2012, 8:16 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know how instant scratch off tickets are distributed. For instance a game has 20 million tickets printed how are they distributed so that the 6 top prize tickets are distributed equally and throughout the 20 million tickets evenly so that all 6 do not happen right away or in one shot etc etc. I ma just wondering if anyone really knows how this system works?

In my opinion, the top prize tickets are distributed in the largest cities.  Reason : more publicity.

Ignatius's avatar - 437 1832-large.jpg
      Springfield, IL
      United States
      Member #127546
      May 3, 2012
      8 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2012, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

No, larger cities probably have more prizes in them because there are more places for more tickets to be sold thus more tickets ARE SOLD and the likelihood of prizes to be claimed within a larger city is greater.  I live in Springfield, Illinois and the majority of instant winners come out of Chicago.  You know why?  Because Chicago has a few million more people and a few thousand more retailers than Springfield does, if Springfield had a rash of big prize winners I'm sure somene would cry foul.

That being said, OP I would suggest you look at the odds on the top prize of any scratch off ticket and how many of those top prizes are available.  If say there are 10 top prizes and odds are 1 in 20 million to win, 10 x 20 million = 200,000,000 tickets.