Welcome Guest
The time is now 3:38 pm
You last visited August 22, 2014, 3:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Physically damaged scratch off, winning ticket!! Help

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 2 years ago by jamella724.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Philadelphia
United States
Member #133789
October 9, 2012
2 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2012, 9:08 am - IP Logged

We have (had) a winning ticket to the $1000 A Week for Life"(Game #925) in the state of PA for $750.  One problem, someone in our family was cleaning up and shredded the tickets thinking there was a no win on them.  Long story short, we have all the pieces of the tickets, took them out of the shredder and between the blades and we can put them back together, 10 tickets were shredded.  Question is, will the PA lottery accept these tickets??  We got so far as putting the little serial numbers on the front (located under the scratch off part of the tickets), if we give them these numbers can they tell us which ticket is the winning number so we don't have to put them all back together, just the winning one.  This is a slap in the forehead siutuation, but they were shredded by accident and I'd hate to see $750 be thrown out.  It's a puzzle piece, but it can be put back together.  Advice, please!!  New to forum.

JAP69's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8498 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2012, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Call the lottery and see what they say.

My guess is they would want the bar code on the ticket put back together also.

Stats hunting: Type

United States
      Member #111446
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:16 am - IP Logged

From what I've heard from others in this same scenario, the lottery is very understanding of these situations.

Similar to the US government refunding currency to those that had their money burned in a fire, etc.

Most likely they will honor the ticket, as long as you bring in all the remaining shredded ticket.

You might also consider posting that question to ChipP 2, from the Kentucky Lottery Commission. (you can find one his posts in the news forum).

RedStang's avatar - 20140808 010507Custom_zps4cde8ec4.jpg
        Dutchess , NY
        United States
        Member #121966
        January 21, 2012
        2572 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:34 am - IP Logged

You should be ok, but you might have a little challenge only because others have been busted trying to piece two tickets together to make a winner. Hide the shredder.

United States
          Member #116272
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Run..... (do not walk) to your local lottery office with the ticket....... Best wishes.

United States
            Member #111446
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2012, 10:56 am - IP Logged

You should be ok, but you might have a little challenge only because others have been busted trying to piece two tickets together to make a winner. Hide the shredder.

Hide the shredder, bring in your dog as the culprit.

United States
              Member #116272
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2012, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Hide the shredder, bring in your dog as the culprit.

If she has to hide anything, something is wrong with this picture. lol. lol.

United States
                Member #111446
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2012, 11:10 am - IP Logged

If she has to hide anything, something is wrong with this picture. lol. lol.

Of course you will be bringing in a 'fixed" x-ray of another dog, who actually ate a scratch ticket recently.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2012, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

We have (had) a winning ticket to the $1000 A Week for Life"(Game #925) in the state of PA for $750.  One problem, someone in our family was cleaning up and shredded the tickets thinking there was a no win on them.  Long story short, we have all the pieces of the tickets, took them out of the shredder and between the blades and we can put them back together, 10 tickets were shredded.  Question is, will the PA lottery accept these tickets??  We got so far as putting the little serial numbers on the front (located under the scratch off part of the tickets), if we give them these numbers can they tell us which ticket is the winning number so we don't have to put them all back together, just the winning one.  This is a slap in the forehead siutuation, but they were shredded by accident and I'd hate to see $750 be thrown out.  It's a puzzle piece, but it can be put back together.  Advice, please!!  New to forum.

Are you sure the family member actually shredded the winning ticket?

Or just told you they did?

Just sayin'...

And why would anyone go to the bother of shredding tickets instead of just throwing them away if they didn't want them?

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    egg harbor twp.south jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112972
                    June 29, 2011
                    3103 Posts
                    Posted: October 9, 2012, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Always check your tix. not once, not twice, but 3 times,

and then have a family member check them 3 times.

and don't shread them, even if they're losers, they're deductions if you have a big win.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Philadelphia
                      United States
                      Member #133789
                      October 9, 2012
                      2 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2012, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

This is the response we got from Harrisburg:

As a follow up to our phone conversation of yesterday, I wanted to explain in writing the dilemma put forth by the shredded tickets. The scans you submitted do show the VIRN numbers of the ticket. VIRN numbers are a security feature. We cannot tell from just a VIRN number if the ticket is a winning ticket or not. The shredded tickets represent a problem for the lottery on the following points:

§ 819.213. Ticket validation and requirements.

(a) To be a valid instant lottery game ticket, the presented ticket shall meet

the following conditions:

(1) A play symbol shall appear in each play area of the ticket in accordance

with standards on file.

(2) Each play symbol shall be captioned, and each play symbol and caption

shall agree with the play symbols and captions published in the Pennsylvania

Bulletin  under § 819.203 (relating to notice of instant game rules).

(3) Each play symbol and caption shall be printed according to Lottery

standards on file.

(4) The ticket shall be intact.

(5) The ticket may not be mutilated, altered, unreadable, reconstituted or

tampered with.

This section of the PA Code renders a shredded ticket as invalid. I appreciate that you were trying to get a straight answer from us and that it’s been a frustrating experience. We do appreciate your enjoyment of the Lottery and wish you the best of luck playing your favorite PA Lottery games.

RedStang's avatar - 20140808 010507Custom_zps4cde8ec4.jpg
                        Dutchess , NY
                        United States
                        Member #121966
                        January 21, 2012
                        2572 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2012, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I disagree with that answer. They could at-least look at it in person and try to verify it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: October 11, 2012, 1:41 am - IP Logged

You say "we" this and "we" that. Who the hell owned the ticket? Do you live in a commune?

Was it your brother-in-law who said he accidentally shredded the ticket?

Uh-huh, yeah, that's what I thought.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Quinto's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg
                            Washington County
                            United States
                            Member #131381
                            August 9, 2012
                            349 Posts
                            Posted: October 12, 2012, 12:50 am - IP Logged

I sent a winning $10 ticket once that the barcode on the back was ripped off and the scan box was damaged. They sent me a check 3 weeks later for it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: October 12, 2012, 1:16 am - IP Logged

I like your name, misu, it reminds me of a time I was in a Japanese restaurant and I had been drinking a little that day.

I remember being in a big brawl with the waiters and the cooks about not getting fortune cookies (long story, don't ask).

Anyway, your name misu reminds me of the soup they had there.

It was brown water with little white cubes of congealed pus or something as I recall and I think it was called misu.

Anyway, I hope you get your money from that ticket!