Welcome Guest
The time is now 11:05 pm
You last visited October 22, 2014, 10:58 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone ever won " win cash for life scrach off ticket " ?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 1 year ago by mediabrat.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
addai1516's avatar - bee
Newyork City NY / westland michigan
United States
Member #93155
June 23, 2010
3419 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2013, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

is it really true ? $1000 to $4000 a week for life ? congrats to anyone that ever won !! share ur story if u dont mind !!

maringoman's avatar - kobold
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2094 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2013, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I doubt they would print out scratch tickets with that promise and then go back on their promise should someone win. Their defination for win for life is about 20 years, I don't know if they think we're all 75 or something LOL

It's a futile effort.

lambo1013's avatar - Lamborghini Aventador-LP700-4-Configurator.jpg
      Brooklyn, New York
      United States
      Member #126800
      April 16, 2012
      830 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2013, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I know 2 people personally that have one. 1 was one of my own customers, my dad sold her a $2000 a week for like ticket and now she gets around $1600 a week after taxes. Another was a kid in my high school class who won a week before graduation, he won $1000 a week and gets around $36,000 a year after taxes, so yeah the tickets are out there and it's just pure luck

Cause every setback sets you up for a comeback

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        5406 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I know 2 people personally that have one. 1 was one of my own customers, my dad sold her a $2000 a week for like ticket and now she gets around $1600 a week after taxes. Another was a kid in my high school class who won a week before graduation, he won $1000 a week and gets around $36,000 a year after taxes, so yeah the tickets are out there and it's just pure luck

There was an article about a year or two ago about a kid that won a scratch-off just before he graduated high school.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
          Columbus, Ohio
          United States
          Member #128911
          June 5, 2012
          442 Posts
          Posted: September 10, 2013, 6:04 am - IP Logged

That's crazy... so many winning tickets out there

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
            Ontario
            Canada
            Member #137291
            December 31, 2012
            86 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2013, 8:31 am - IP Logged

My wife $4 x 4 on one ticket last year. I've won a few small prizes, but nothing big

Here in Ontario our current Cash For Life is $2,000 a week for life, but when they say life they mean 25 years, not sure if it's the same in the US. The nice thing here is we don't pay an tax on lottery wins.

I was in New York over the weekend and saw they have a $10,000 a week for life scratch, $20 per ticket (ouch). I didn't buy one.

mikeintexas's avatar - h t2.jpg
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136848
              December 20, 2012
              527 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2013, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I was out earlier getting my lottery tickets and bought a Weekly Grand and won $20.

It's better to be alone than in bad company.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92332
                June 5, 2010
                781 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Most of the ones I play specify that it's limited to X amount total or X amount of years.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146350
                  September 1, 2013
                  642 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2013, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

is it really true ? $1000 to $4000 a week for life ? congrats to anyone that ever won !! share ur story if u dont mind !!

Yes, I won 5 cents a week for life.....my bank account pays that in interest Jester

These lotteries are very deceptive when they say "X a week for life." It is never "for life," it is always for 20-30 years. That would be like saying you win $20 million a year for life when the Powerball is $400 million or whatever.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2013: -35.14% (158 tickets) || 2014: +43.40% (14 tickets)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: September 10, 2013, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Anyone ever won " win cash for life scrach off ticket " ?

No.

And that "no" is inexorable.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121750
                      January 16, 2012
                      3282 Posts
                      Posted: September 10, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I think for the win for life tickets in VA (not scratch off) when they say a minimum of 10 years, it means that your heirs will get 10 years or less of money if you die before 10 years.  it is still tied to your entire life span and that is why those tickets cannot be sold to those "buy out" lottery services.

Just as the bird sings or the butterfly soars,

because it is his natural characteristic,

so the artist works.

by Alma  Gluck

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                        upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #108795
                        March 31, 2011
                        541 Posts
                        Posted: September 14, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I think for the win for life tickets in VA (not scratch off) when they say a minimum of 10 years, it means that your heirs will get 10 years or less of money if you die before 10 years.  it is still tied to your entire life span and that is why those tickets cannot be sold to those "buy out" lottery services.

Right.  The people in this thread are confused when they say "it's limited to 20/25 years".  When the states say "for life", they mean it; the years quoted is a minimum, not a maximum.  You'll win *at least* X years of payments, not *at most*.

States do not win the lottery.  PEOPLE win the lottery.

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146350
                          September 1, 2013
                          642 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2013, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Right.  The people in this thread are confused when they say "it's limited to 20/25 years".  When the states say "for life", they mean it; the years quoted is a minimum, not a maximum.  You'll win *at least* X years of payments, not *at most*.

VA Win for Life is lifetime annuity yes, but this is not correct in general, at least for my state. 

You receive payments not to exceed  a total of X amount. If you get $250K a year and it is limited to $5,000,000 total, then you only receive $250K a year for 20 years. Most tickets state both the time (20 years) and total amount ($5 million). There are absolutely NO tickets here that feature really "for life" payments. The reasoning is financial liability. If I win $250K a year for life, and I win at age 18 and live to be 80, that would be enormous liability on the state, and mathematically it would likely be wise for me to buy a ticket (depending on the odds of course).

Also, even if you win the regular lottery, if there is any kind of annuity, your estate will continue receiving payments. So the "for life" marketing gimmick really isn't special. I also know that GA has win for life, but honestly, $1K per week for life isn't that much. Even if you live beyond 100.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the payoff does.

If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                            upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #108795
                            March 31, 2011
                            541 Posts
                            Posted: September 14, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

VA Win for Life is lifetime annuity yes, but this is not correct in general, at least for my state. 

You receive payments not to exceed  a total of X amount. If you get $250K a year and it is limited to $5,000,000 total, then you only receive $250K a year for 20 years. Most tickets state both the time (20 years) and total amount ($5 million). There are absolutely NO tickets here that feature really "for life" payments. The reasoning is financial liability. If I win $250K a year for life, and I win at age 18 and live to be 80, that would be enormous liability on the state, and mathematically it would likely be wise for me to buy a ticket (depending on the odds of course).

Also, even if you win the regular lottery, if there is any kind of annuity, your estate will continue receiving payments. So the "for life" marketing gimmick really isn't special. I also know that GA has win for life, but honestly, $1K per week for life isn't that much. Even if you live beyond 100.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about two different things.  Yes, most scratchers and other jackpots that pay out per annum do indeed have a limit.  That makes perfect sense, as they are billed as having finite jackpots.  However, I'm not aware of any game that is marketed as "win for life" that does not pay out as advertised.  There's VA's Win For Life, as you mentioned; there's also New England's Lucky For Life draw game, New York has a whole series of Win For Life scratchers, and I'm sure there are other scratchers of the WFL variety around the nation.

Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146350
                              September 1, 2013
                              642 Posts
                              Posted: September 14, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about two different things.  Yes, most scratchers and other jackpots that pay out per annum do indeed have a limit.  That makes perfect sense, as they are billed as having finite jackpots.  However, I'm not aware of any game that is marketed as "win for life" that does not pay out as advertised.  There's VA's Win For Life, as you mentioned; there's also New England's Lucky For Life draw game, New York has a whole series of Win For Life scratchers, and I'm sure there are other scratchers of the WFL variety around the nation.

Yes, there is a discrepency which is basically my point. Here in my state they will advertise games as "for life" but they are not lifetime annuities. People assume "for life" is synonymous with a lifetime annuity, but you have to read the fine print.

On another note, I have noticed that my state has started putting the asterisks and fine print on the front of the ticket; I imagine this has something to do with the popularity of these "for life" games and a number of complaints by players.