Welcome Guest
The time is now 1:13 pm
You last visited April 19, 2014, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Lottery Winners Call It a Curse

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 months ago by Jani Norman.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jani Norman's avatar - BGscRv1CUAEf32Z
OHIO
United States
Member #4164
March 27, 2004
10123 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2013, 10:48 am - IP Logged
    rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    -Ridge Runner- Oracle of the Appalachians
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14707 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2013, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends on the winner whether it is a curse or a Blessing.

Some people just aren't equipped to handle it.

Am I equipped to handle it?

Indubitably.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
      SW Florida
      United States
      Member #145678
      August 11, 2013
      125 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I believe I'm equipped to handle it too.  I realize that winning a large jackpot would be a fantastic thing but I would also be fairly nervous about it, knowing there's a lot to deal with (i.e., financially and tax-wise so that the money lasts my lifetime).  Other risks and downsides are poor financial advice, compromised personal safety & privacy and the likelihood of discord or hostility from family and friends. 

The media loves to focus on the negative anyway.  The happy winners living great lives don't make for the sensationalistic stories today's media salivates over or they just value their peace and privacy and don't answer requests from media.  That would be me, if I won ... "no comment!"

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        Gurnee, Illinois
        United States
        Member #49731
        February 12, 2007
        835 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2013, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

And let me guess...I bet he and his group has tickets in for the next Mega Millions jackpot drawing! Some people must love to be "cursed!

Well, I won't be cursed when I win. It will be an immense blessing. I will do great things with those millions. I can feel me palms itching right now!

$4 million, $20 million, $300 million...I know exactly what I would do with it and I know exactly how to deal with those who would come knocking and calling. Folks, if you are fortunate to win, just recall all your interactions the past year or two. If those people who are now calling and writing to you never bothered to do so in that time frame, and especially if you were in need at any time and those folks ignored you or gave you the cold shoulder, then you should not hesitate to say, "I am sorry, but I think you are going to need to contact your bank to help you out as I am not in the lending/investing business." No, sorry. Sorry but no I cannot help you out. NOPE. Not happening.

As for churches and tithes, well since tithing was never done with money in the Bible, I won't be cursed not tithing any of my winnings.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
          SW Florida
          United States
          Member #145678
          August 11, 2013
          125 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2013, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

And let me guess...I bet he and his group has tickets in for the next Mega Millions jackpot drawing! Some people must love to be "cursed!

Well, I won't be cursed when I win. It will be an immense blessing. I will do great things with those millions. I can feel me palms itching right now!

$4 million, $20 million, $300 million...I know exactly what I would do with it and I know exactly how to deal with those who would come knocking and calling. Folks, if you are fortunate to win, just recall all your interactions the past year or two. If those people who are now calling and writing to you never bothered to do so in that time frame, and especially if you were in need at any time and those folks ignored you or gave you the cold shoulder, then you should not hesitate to say, "I am sorry, but I think you are going to need to contact your bank to help you out as I am not in the lending/investing business." No, sorry. Sorry but no I cannot help you out. NOPE. Not happening.

As for churches and tithes, well since tithing was never done with money in the Bible, I won't be cursed not tithing any of my winnings.

I think that Willie Seeley is just a showboat who loves the attention and limelight.  When it faded after he won, he began to whine about feeling cursed, so as to bring the media attention and limelight back. Afterall, the media loves misery.  Whittaker wasn't a sensible person to begin with so it's no surprise what happened to him. Shakespeare was a vulnerable person so he was easily victimized by vultures and charlatans, the poor soul.

I think it's best to say NO to everyone for at least the first 3 months, until you get your tax obligations & true net worth sorted out with solid financial advice, and you have some time to think about how you want your life to go.  There would be a crazy period of euphoria after winning and that's not the time to be making any financial decisions, especially gifting.  There's that gift tax to worry about for one thing.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
            Member #118613
            November 4, 2011
            241 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2013, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I agree with disappearing.  So many options and places to disappear to when you have money.Blue Angel

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #149499
              December 2, 2013
              308 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2013, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I think that Willie Seeley is just a showboat who loves the attention and limelight.  When it faded after he won, he began to whine about feeling cursed, so as to bring the media attention and limelight back. Afterall, the media loves misery.  Whittaker wasn't a sensible person to begin with so it's no surprise what happened to him. Shakespeare was a vulnerable person so he was easily victimized by vultures and charlatans, the poor soul.

I think it's best to say NO to everyone for at least the first 3 months, until you get your tax obligations & true net worth sorted out with solid financial advice, and you have some time to think about how you want your life to go.  There would be a crazy period of euphoria after winning and that's not the time to be making any financial decisions, especially gifting.  There's that gift tax to worry about for one thing.

Exactly.  I was thinking about saying no to everyone for the first year.  My policy would be "if you ask, my answer is no." However, I will help by donating or giving money to those I wish to during the first year, especially those that have helped me in the past, family, and VERY close friends.

Portland, OR
                United States
                Member #145978
                August 20, 2013
                78 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2013, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

It's not called a curse but not using your brain.  What did he expect after showing his face on national tv?  If he had a choice to hide his identity is his fault.  So he gets a bunch of calls asking for money.  Well, change your number, sell your house, move or just say NO.  God, I'd have fun saying NO to people and asking family, where were you for the last 20 years.  Hire bodyguards for awhile if you are so worried.  I'd like to be cursed that way.

People are more complicated than the masks they wear in society

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
                  Ontario
                  Canada
                  Member #137291
                  December 31, 2012
                  85 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2013, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I agree to saying NO for the first 3 - 6 - 12 months. Allow yourself the time to acclimate to having that much money, what it means, what you can and CAN'T do with it. Finding and listening to solid financial advice from advisors with experience in dealing with such large amounts of money will help keep to on track. My financial advisor told me years ago if you have $10,000 or $1,000,000, the 3 most important things for financial success is:

Don't lose the money

Don't lose the money

Don't lose the money

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area/ California
                    United States
                    Member #136482
                    December 12, 2012
                    1666 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2013, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

You correct. If my memory serves me right he won under $5 million but ran off at the mouth as though he cleared over $100 mil.
                    As they say " A fool and his money are soon parted"
                    Some people just don't know how to handle money, he comes off as one of them.

PaScratchAddict's avatar - billPortrait
                      It's Just A Ride!
                      Endless Mountains Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #149910
                      December 11, 2013
                      202 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2013, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I'd just invest half of it into facebook and twitter stocks and sit back and relax lol. I'm well equiped to handle it and have the right people near me waiting for the call since I already told them I'm going to win something big soon (:

And I don't care about odds, someone has to win it might as well be me.

United States
                        Member #145272
                        August 1, 2013
                        385 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2013, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

It's not a curse if you know what to do with the money and how to live with the money.  If you plan on blending in with regular people, that means you don't need a Ferrari or your own jet airplane to go to the grocery store if you get my meanning.

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                          olplugger
                          Mechanicsville, VA
                          United States
                          Member #84145
                          December 23, 2009
                          1363 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2013, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends on the winner whether it is a curse or a Blessing.

Some people just aren't equipped to handle it.

Am I equipped to handle it?

Indubitably.

I Agree!

"There is always A way..."

Author Unknown

Seattle
                            United States
                            Member #150147
                            December 16, 2013
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Well the funny thing is that when you become a CEO, COO, CIO, CFO and etc of a small company nobody pays any attention then you become a high title of any company you start geting all kinds of people out of the woodwork. Same with the lottery you when people you know, people you didn't know want a piece of your check. One should tell as little people as posible even close family members. When you collect your funds then you can get out of the country or away from people to do what you want to do. Then at the end of the year you can let a few more people in on the deal if you choose. The problem with the lottery is that it enhances all kinds of things going on in your life. Kind of like being a teenager, and it can over whelm people that have problems with money or what have you. You family or friends some how feel intiltled to your funds because they're the ones that have know you since your birth or theirs. My family will not get a penny of my funds. Call me what ever you want I don't give a sh it. I would take that money to live off the interest. Like most people I serve my own interest and I would expect no more or less from my family if they won. Grandted winning the lottery is not like becoming CEO of Apple, GE, Comcast or etc but the same rules apply my money my choice of how I would or would not spend it.

United States
                              Member #149827
                              December 9, 2013
                              383 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

There is no such thing as a lottery curse. I do not believe it. It's ignorant people who are cursed, the uneducated (Abraham Shakespear) the morally corrupt (Jack Whittaker), and the people who cannot handle anything other than a biweekly paycheck (Willie Seely). Get people around you that know what they're doing and what they're talking about. It's not hard to maintain a millionaire status if your knowledgeable about your money