Welcome Guest
The time is now 1:36 pm
You last visited July 31, 2014, 1:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions vs. Powerball?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Dublin, GA
United States
Member #5721
July 18, 2004
7 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2004, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Which is your favorite and which is your least favorite and why?  I not only say that Powerball is better and I hate Mega Millions with a passion.  I am from a small town in Georgia which is where Mega Millions (originally named Big Game) is from. 

We (Georgia) had Powerball from July 1995 - July 1996.  The powers that be here in GA got Powerball in because people here yelled because our lotto (then called The Georgia Lotto) never reached anywhere near the Florida Lotto) and the State got tired of telling us "We don't have the dollars in our lottery that Florida does."  What quickly happened was that people started spending a good bit of money on the Powerball and abandoned The Georgia Lotto and the powers that be here in Georgia didn't like that; this could be seen by the lack of campaigns for Powerball and in the ad campaigns for The Georgia Lotto, "A few million still goes pretty far these days." 

We've all heard these play responsibly campaigns that say, "It's all about fun."  Well that is exactly the case with me.  I - HAVE -  to enjoy the lottery game that I am playing or I won't play and I NEVER spend more than $10 a week!  I genuinely enjoyed playing Powerball - even when I didn't win anything.  It was almost like having Florida Lotto (which back then was only drawn on Sat nights and with numbers 1-49 had jackpots comparible to those of Powerball) here in Georgia. 

When GA replaced Powerball with Big Game in July 1996 I quickly found out that I didn't like Big Game (there were more powerballs than in the original Powerball thus making it almost impossible to win even the smallest prize ever) and I got mad (not having any access to the Florida Lotto in those days) and didn't play any lottery of any kind for about 4 years.

These days I still live in Georgia but I play the Florida Lotto every drawing.  The Florida Lotto isn't nearly as fun as it used to be since it's played biweekly now and the matrix was widened to 1 - 53 thus lessening the Jackpots.   

The Florida Lotto is still pretty awesome and the jackpots still get pretty high.  I love the Florida lottery's flamingo. 

I take a firm stance of boycotting The Georgia Lottery and I loathe Big Game/Mega Millions. 

Your comments please...

Dublin, GA
    United States
    Member #5721
    July 18, 2004
    7 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2004, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I forgot to add in my original post that while Georiga had Powerball the Powerball officials said that more money was spent on Powerball tickets were bought in Georgia than in any other State that had Powerball.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2733 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2004, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

well.  you state a good point there, but i would have to argue for mega millions because it has fewer states and a smaller population, yet the starting jackpot remains the same.  granted the odds aren't as good as winning the powerball jackpot, but since i don't buy my tickets in texas, i don't have to be bothered with the multiplier.  WHY SPEND $2 AND LOSE WHEN I CAN SPEND $1 AND LOSE TOO?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2733 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2004, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

mega millions also usually has bigger rollovers than powerball.  powerball has too many states.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
          Member #5347
          June 30, 2004
          38 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2004, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions is the one I like better.  What difference does it make if the odds are 1 in 100 mill or 1 in 135 mill ?  MM has bigger jackpots hence more excitement

EU
            Estonia
            Member #4217
            April 1, 2004
            25 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2004, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Good point pacemaker. Chances are almost same.  Big risk, big payout.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              21448 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2004, 12:05 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on July 18, 2004

well.  you state a good point there, but i would have to argue for mega millions because it has fewer states and a smaller population, yet the starting jackpot remains the same.  granted the odds aren't as good as winning the powerball jackpot, but since i don't buy my tickets in texas, i don't have to be bothered with the multiplier.  WHY SPEND $2 AND LOSE WHEN I CAN SPEND $1 AND LOSE TOO?

No, Mega Millions has fewer states, but a LARGER population.  Powerball does not have "too many states" because the number of states has nothing to do with rollovers and jackpots.  The key figure is player base (population), so Powerball would do better to add MORE states.

(Mega Millions states have a population of about 118 million, while Powerball states have a population of about 83 million.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1867 Posts
                Posted: July 19, 2004, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I've noticed that despite the difference in number of states between Powerball and Mega Millions, sales for both games have been roughly equal.

http://www.lottoreport.com/salescomparison.htm

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  21448 Posts
                  Posted: July 19, 2004, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

ryanm,

Actually, Mega Millions sales are better than Powerball at this point, as the larger player base is starting to make a difference.  During this current jackpot run for both games, Mega Millions achieved a $29 million jackpot after 3 rollovers, while Powerball only managed $27 million after the same number of rollovers.  When the jackpots get over $100 million Mega Millions vastly outrolls Powerball.  Powerball needs to add additional states, and more populous states.  Perhaps California will take advantage of their MUSL membership to start selling Powerball tickets.  Besides, their revenue numbers can use a shot in the arm.

JodyC522's avatar - shapes quad_feather.jpg
                    Maine
                    United States
                    Member #5218
                    June 23, 2004
                    13 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2004, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is adding a State on July 30th!!  MAINE

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1867 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2004, 1:36 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by Todd on July 19, 2004

ryanm,

Actually, Mega Millions sales are better than Powerball at this point, as the larger player base is starting to make a difference.  During this current jackpot run for both games, Mega Millions achieved a $29 million jackpot after 3 rollovers, while Powerball only managed $27 million after the same number of rollovers.  When the jackpots get over $100 million Mega Millions vastly outrolls Powerball.  Powerball needs to add additional states, and more populous states.  Perhaps California will take advantage of their MUSL membership to start selling Powerball tickets.  Besides, their revenue numbers can use a shot in the arm.

Yeah, but Powerball had bigger rollovers than Mega Millions for a while until the Powerball jackpots kept getting won faster than the Mega Millions jackpots.
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        21448 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2004, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

The only reason Powerball rollovers were bigger was that Texas was not selling well yet.  Then MM had a big run-up, and Texas caught on.  If you recall, MM was hit a number of time in a row also (followed by the expected cries for changing the game).

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          2312 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2004, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

I play both games but powerball is in my state and mega millions is online for me.  So when I win I hope it is the biggest jackpot so I have enough money were it will not matter. 

hypersoniq's avatar - xls
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #1340
                            April 6, 2003
                            2444 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2004, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I like powerball better because I can play it down the street ;-)

If PA went with MegaMillions, I'd like that one better .

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Southeast USA
                              United States
                              Member #3660
                              February 9, 2004
                              65 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2004, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

mega millions seems to give a better payout and  even my friend says that it seems easier to win with MM; however, lately, I have been just writing down some PB numbers for each drawing and I am getting like 4 out of 6 whereas when I write down numbers for MM I don't get as many numbers correct.