Welcome Guest
The time is now 8:57 am
You last visited November 24, 2014, 8:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery winnings and divorce

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 5 years ago by jrosina.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #85339
January 13, 2010
143 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:07 am - IP Logged

There was a case in CA where the wife won, but they weren't separated and divorce wasn't filed until after she won. She tried to conceal the win until the divorce was final. She ended up losing all of the winnings because of her deception.

Suppose a couple was separated and a divorce was filed.  Either the husband or wife wins a lottery, should the other spouse have a claim? Let's say the ticket was purchased with money from a family member as a gift. 

I know this varies from state to state.

What would you do in a situation like this?

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86155
    January 30, 2010
    1432 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:32 am - IP Logged

There was a case in CA where the wife won, but they weren't separated and divorce wasn't filed until after she won. She tried to conceal the win until the divorce was final. She ended up losing all of the winnings because of her deception.

Suppose a couple was separated and a divorce was filed.  Either the husband or wife wins a lottery, should the other spouse have a claim? Let's say the ticket was purchased with money from a family member as a gift. 

Well, it's not a matter of "should" they have a claim but, rather they "do" have a claim. Until they're actually legally divorced in black and white, they must split and share EVERYTHING. Sometimes this is a bitter sweet deal but, you must look at what's best for yourself in the long run.

Just like the chic you've described here as she tried to hide the money all for herself...only to lose it all to her soon to be Ex and his NEW SWEET THANG!!! It's hard but it's fair...it's the law.

Unless you can hide the money really well for a long, long time in a good safe spot until the smoke clears, you're gonna risk losing it.

L.L.

Kennesaw, GA
      United States
      Member #62138
      June 18, 2008
      1372 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:35 am - IP Logged

well i would rush the divorce  make it easy and simple for her and then claim the prize..your not a winner until you turn the ticket in

Texas
        United States
        Member #86155
        January 30, 2010
        1432 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:47 am - IP Logged

well i would rush the divorce  make it easy and simple for her and then claim the prize..your not a winner until you turn the ticket in

Very true but, a good lawyer will look at the time of the claim versus the date of the draw. This will automatically tell them you had the ticket before you divorced...hence withholding information regarding finances. Any noticable change in your lifestyle will prompt her to investigate.

Technically, in the lawyer's eyes, you were a winner...and you willingly deceived her.

L.L.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Shoot my spouse in the head then live happly ever after..Simple..

Texas
            United States
            Member #86155
            January 30, 2010
            1432 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2010, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Shoot my spouse in the head then live happly ever after..Simple..

Jester Laugh LOL Eek Scared tiggs, you are off the chain and running wild!!!! Will I be reading about you in the very near future?? Put me in your will as a beneficiary...all I want is $100,000. I will never have to work again...guaranteed!!!

L.L.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Jester Laugh LOL Eek Scared tiggs, you are off the chain and running wild!!!! Will I be reading about you in the very near future?? Put me in your will as a beneficiary...all I want is $100,000. I will never have to work again...guaranteed!!!

L.L.

Lucky Loser you live in Texas and you'll need more then $100,000 to live without working..We'll see what we can do..

United States
                Member #85339
                January 13, 2010
                143 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:02 am - IP Logged

In the "self esteem" post someone mentioned gettingWink rid of all the negatives in your life....this would certainly do that.

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86155
                  January 30, 2010
                  1432 Posts
                  Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Lucky Loser you live in Texas and you'll need more then $100,000 to live without working..We'll see what we can do..

Yeah, I'd appreciate that!! Gotta take care of all my women, too, so you don't take 'em from me!!! You da man!!!

L.L.

United States
                    Member #85339
                    January 13, 2010
                    143 Posts
                    Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Hiding the money would be hard if you can't claim anonymously.  If you could claim anonymously, then it is a whole different set of rules: no extravagant purchases, lay low... don't pull any "Jack Whittakers"

Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86155
                      January 30, 2010
                      1432 Posts
                      Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Hiding the money would be hard if you can't claim anonymously.  If you could claim anonymously, then it is a whole different set of rules: no extravagant purchases, lay low... don't pull any "Jack Whittakers"

If you could claim anonymously

...and there you have it. "You" should never claim the money in a case like this, if you just can't wait. There are many ways around it, but you have to smart enough to implement them. Noone can take anything that's not yours...unless they steal it. Case closed.

I was just waiting for someone to put this out there so I could piggy back.

L.L.

United States
                        Member #85339
                        January 13, 2010
                        143 Posts
                        Posted: March 23, 2010, 11:32 am - IP Logged

If you could not claim anonymously, it might be better to have a trustworthy family member (ie mother, father or sibling) claim and work out an agreement to be "gifted" money or be part of a family limited partnership.

Pennsylvania allows for a trust to claim, but they will name the beneficiaries of the trust as part of public record.  So if one of the beneficiaries is in a divorce, they might be S.O.L.  You have a year to claim in PA.  Maryland allow anonymous claims, but 182 days to claim.

I would want the money for my kids and for myself before giving a dime to a divorcing spouse.

So I guess this begs the question how do you (or another entity) claim in the event of a divorce. What is really the smart way to do this? i could not imagine an attorney taking on a case like this (an impending divorce, lottery winnings after the separation and no anonymity for the claim.)

My initial question was prompted by reading about the Ramdass case and the case in California.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          17937 Posts
                          Posted: March 23, 2010, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Consult with other Lottery Post Members: They know alot more than a Matrimonial Attorney about Equitable Distribution of Marital Assets!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CA
                            United States
                            Member #84266
                            December 26, 2009
                            410 Posts
                            Posted: March 23, 2010, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

If you're worried about losing all of the winnings you can just claim it together and split it. Half is better than nothing. That b**** got what she deserved. I've never agreed with the whole 50/50 law when getting divorced. Espesically when it's one person who pays for most of the things and that's usually the man.

United States
                              Member #85339
                              January 13, 2010
                              143 Posts
                              Posted: March 23, 2010, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I guess if it were me....

I'd have to win first. What are the odds?

Then would I be able to claim anonymously or not?

If I was required to go public....the only people I would trust would be my parents and brother... work out some kind of an arrangement where they would claim, set up an entity that would allow the assets to be shielded and I could share the wealth.

If it were anonymous, I would get the divorce over with, claim with a trust and work out some arrangement to payoff the mortgage, car payments and any cc balance. Perhaps an offshore trust?

Can a trust be set up that would allow you to receive payments to take care of necessities for yourself....like living expenses, care for minor children? I would not want an ex to get a dime.  I would want my kids to be taken care of, but not spoiled.

I have read up on trust law and it doesn't state when an income stream can be provided to the person setting up the trust or to the beneficiary of the trust.

I guess my interest in this comes from the things that I have read. I would almost like to write a screenplay...a hardluck/comedic story where the good guy wins in the end.... Kind of like an Adam Sandler movie....