Welcome Guest
The time is now 5:45 pm
You last visited September 18, 2014, 5:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Reminder for New Members

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
21527 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2010, 11:45 am - IP Logged

Lately there have been a rash of new members trying to send e-mail addresses and links, both on the forums and through private messaging.

As a reminder, please don't do that.  The system will automatically suspend your account if you do.

Also, members who have been here for a while, don't ask new members to send their e-mail address to you.

As soon as they comply with your request, they are going to get suspended.  If you are so trusting of a new member that you want to privately communicate to them, then you send them YOUR address.

Finally, new members: if someone sends you a message containing a link or an e-mail address through the private message system, do not reply directly to that message.  That's because the system will naturally include a copy of their private message in your reply, and therefore your reply will contain the link or e-mail address that they sent you -- and you will get suspended by the system as soon as you send it.

In this case, either send a NEW message (not reply) to the person, or else make sure you delete all the old text from the reply before you type your reply and send it.

Why is all this important?

The reason Lottery Post has been around for 10 years now is because we have no-spam policies like this, and the technology to back it up.  In fact, the no-link and no-e-mail policies for new members are for YOUR protection, and they have practically eliminated spam from our site.  You wouldn't believe the number of spammers that are automatically detected and silently eliminated by the system every single day.

This stringent system simply means that as a new member you need to be careful with anything you post or send, that it does not contain any link or e-mail address.

Importantly, don't think you can hide a link by putting "dot com" in it, or a bunch of spaces or something.  Anyone who can get away with doing that can already post links because they have been promoted.  As a new member, if YOU try it, you will get suspended.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jrosina's avatar - ffdd38 1.jpg
    New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3480 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2010, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Lately there have been a rash of new members trying to send e-mail addresses and links, both on the forums and through private messaging.

As a reminder, please don't do that.  The system will automatically suspend your account if you do.

Also, members who have been here for a while, don't ask new members to send their e-mail address to you.

As soon as they comply with your request, they are going to get suspended.  If you are so trusting of a new member that you want to privately communicate to them, then you send them YOUR address.

Finally, new members: if someone sends you a message containing a link or an e-mail address through the private message system, do not reply directly to that message.  That's because the system will naturally include a copy of their private message in your reply, and therefore your reply will contain the link or e-mail address that they sent you -- and you will get suspended by the system as soon as you send it.

In this case, either send a NEW message (not reply) to the person, or else make sure you delete all the old text from the reply before you type your reply and send it.

Why is all this important?

The reason Lottery Post has been around for 10 years now is because we have no-spam policies like this, and the technology to back it up.  In fact, the no-link and no-e-mail policies for new members are for YOUR protection, and they have practically eliminated spam from our site.  You wouldn't believe the number of spammers that are automatically detected and silently eliminated by the system every single day.

This stringent system simply means that as a new member you need to be careful with anything you post or send, that it does not contain any link or e-mail address.

Importantly, don't think you can hide a link by putting "dot com" in it, or a bunch of spaces or something.  Anyone who can get away with doing that can already post links because they have been promoted.  As a new member, if YOU try it, you will get suspended.

Ok Todd, woah! Some one just recently PM'ed me and told me that their account got suspended because they took upon themselves, to try to copy and paste something to me!  They PM' me under another, new name. 

It's good to know this!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      21527 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2010, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Just to be clear, if your name has "New Member" under it on the forums or in your Profile page, then you're a new member.  If it says anything else (like Rookie, Regular, etc.), then you're NOT a New Member, and the link/e-mail stuff doesn't apply to you.

saginaw,michigan
        United States
        Member #57822
        January 20, 2008
        41 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

so if someone sends me a private message don't respond to what should i do

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
          Harrison Township Michigan
          United States
          Member #90090
          April 21, 2010
          4014 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

so if someone sends me a private message don't respond to what should i do

If the PM has a link in it DO NOT RESPOND to it. Otherwise you are ok.

I learned my lesson the hard way.

Trust me you'll only do it once.

CutlassBob

“Everyone must know their limitations...then defy them!” 
           Me

saginaw,michigan
            United States
            Member #57822
            January 20, 2008
            41 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

i'm new at this what do you mean a link in it

Jack-C's avatar - us
              San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #61467
              May 24, 2008
              28041 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

i'm new at this what do you mean a link in it

You must be new to the internet as well!  Here is what a "link" looks like:

http://www.lotterypost.com/reply-topic.aspx?td=1670534

saginaw,michigan
                United States
                Member #57822
                January 20, 2008
                41 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

ok, and yes i am

saginaw,michigan
                  United States
                  Member #57822
                  January 20, 2008
                  41 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

so if someone wants to talk to me they should  post it through the lottery post or on the forum and  i'm asking this because i don't no i just want to be sure.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                    San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #61467
                    May 24, 2008
                    28041 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2010, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

so if someone wants to talk to me they should  post it through the lottery post or on the forum and  i'm asking this because i don't no i just want to be sure.

Answering in the forums like we are doing is fine.  When you get a Private Message (PM) then you can read it and answer it, BUT if it has any kind of link or an email address :  joeblow@aol.com , then delete those from your reply or YOU will loose your account.  I will send you a PM (without any links).  You will see the "Private Inbox" near the top of your screen turn red.  Click on it, then click on my message to read it.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      2126 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2010, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Todd

I am a newbe but have a little insight as to the inner workings of a site like this. "My hat comes is off to you. You run a very tight ship. Iam learning.

Thanks

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.

US Flag

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        21527 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

@Jack-C: Thanks for patiently helping to explain things while I was offline for a while.

@vonvon123: If you're not sure whether or not replying to a PM will cause a problem, after you click "Reply", first delete all the text in the editor and then type your response.  That will ensure the only thing you're sending is the text you're typing.  Of course, you don't have to worry about any of this stuff once you get promoted by the system.

@RL-RANDOMLOGIC: Thanks!

Jack-C's avatar - us
                          San Diego, CA
                          United States
                          Member #61467
                          May 24, 2008
                          28041 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2010, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

@Jack-C: Thanks for patiently helping to explain things while I was offline for a while.

@vonvon123: If you're not sure whether or not replying to a PM will cause a problem, after you click "Reply", first delete all the text in the editor and then type your response.  That will ensure the only thing you're sending is the text you're typing.  Of course, you don't have to worry about any of this stuff once you get promoted by the system.

@RL-RANDOMLOGIC: Thanks!

You're welcome, Todd.

Milwaukee, WI
                            United States
                            Member #3131
                            December 27, 2003
                            665 Posts
                            Posted: June 6, 2010, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for running a well managed board.

Yahoo could really learn from you!

They supposedly have rules but don't enforce them.

MarkP

United States
                              Member #9763
                              December 20, 2004
                              2267 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2010, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Just want to make sure.......it is OK for me to include MY email address on an email and online post if I want somebody to communicate with me? 

Or I can only include my email when I reply to a PM?