Due to the complexity and processing overhead involved with generating all possible combinations of 5 numbers in a pool of 15 numbers, I put it on "hold" temporarily and switched to programming the infrastructure for all combinations of 3 numbers where the range of numbers is between 0 – 9; your standard three draw lotto game. The version one starts with generating all 1000 possible combo's with a separate switch for choosing the number of odd numbers to filter the 1000, as well as a function to specify the SUM range (of all three numbers added). It is again using ASP.NET and a SQL Server 2005 database; one the big technologies for building Web based applications that can communicate with a SQL Server 2005 database online. I was able to change gears (from the 5 draw code) and get the smaller scaled project done and launched ( the v1.0 version) done in about 6 hours (it is up there and FREE). I was able to get a lot done rather quickly since I was able to inter-mix database stored procedures and code in a few classes to extend what a database can normally do. Along the way I added a couple of User Defined Functions in the SQL Server 2005 database; this will open the door to other metrics being efficiently added in the near future. I'm going to be coding as much as I can leading up to the holidays and then see where I'm at. I’m pretty sure I can expand the current project and have something working by end of Thanksgiving weekend. I hope to have the Ilya Bluskov (sp?) combinatorics book incorporated, though later.
For the 3-draw application, there’s a function for returning the Odd count, another for the sum of all 3 draws (75% of the time the sum is between 6 and 19 when adding all three digits for CA Daily 3), a checkbox list is there that filters the criteria for all three numbers, where selecting 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in the checkbox list will return all combinations of those numbers and nothing greater than 6 in the result set is returned. In the near future I’ll add a Multiple Select List box to return a “Kitchen Sink model” where all criteria can be return in a huge record-set. Tester's for this 3 draw application, as well as new suggested metrics to code are welcome.
Since I have the 3-draw example working, I am now ready to return to coding the 5 draw engine; the rough part is that I’ve got to iron out sticking points and try some new methods along the way. Picture a jeep stuck in the mud, or maybe it’s more like pushing a big rock or two up a hill. It’s a strange, frustrating kind of fun. More to be written along the way, once I figure out the way.