Welcome Guest
( Log In | Register )
The time is now 8:36 pm
You last visited August 20, 2017, 6:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

taxes and marriage


a question about taxes and marriage...


i have two children and a girlfriend i've been with 11 years.i claim the two children and get about 5 or 6 grand each year during tax refund time.if i end up marrying my girlfriend will i get more or way less on my tax refund each year?  yes or no....

Entry #1,311


JAP69Comment by JAP69 - March 15, 2008, 7:30 pm
Your tax preparer should have been able to answer that with no problem.
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 15, 2008, 7:54 pm
You can call the IRS Mike. They're actually very friendly, believe it or not. Anyway, just an opinion (I'm not a tax professional) but it depends on whether or not you are currently claiming her as a dependent and if she makes an income, what she files, etc. If you are getting that much back, it has to be either EIC or you make a lot of money or pay way too much. Anyway, if it's EIC then it is based on your income vs the number of dependents who rely on you for support.

There should also be free tax counseling by volunteers in your area if you call around. Usually the library has information on this service.
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 15, 2008, 7:55 pm
BTW, everyone is going to hate me for saying this....but I hope you're not thinking about marrying the mother or your children just because she's a tax deduction! :-)
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 15, 2008, 8:01 pm

sorry..type "mother of your children"   Anyway, the above link is to the IRS and they have an assistant that might help answer your question.
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 15, 2008, 8:32 pm
Mike - it's ironic that I spelled the word typo wrong. LOL

Comment by LOTTOMIKE - March 16, 2008, 6:21 am
actually we are barely making ends meet.we live on my paycheck plus my tax return through the year.in fact the money from that tax return is basically life preserver as far as helping us through the year.we want to get married but economics are what feeds us at the end of the day.can't live on love because you can't eat it for dinner,lol.
Comment by LOTTOMIKE - March 16, 2008, 6:53 am
i've been criticized by my family for waiting.but am i wrong for wanting to wait until the finances are stable before doing something like marriage?
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 16, 2008, 12:58 pm
Mike, sorry. I wasn't criticizing you, I was teasing, because of the way you wrote it. I mean, if you asked "if we have another baby, will he be another tax deduction" I would have had the same reaction. It's your business. 11 years is a long time. Only you know what's right. Call around and see if there are volunteers in your neighborhood who prepare taxes. As I wrote before, if you are head of household, you probably have 4 deductions (you, your girlfriend, your 2 children) but I have no idea if she works, if she is disabled, etc., and these conditions might determine whether or not you can claim her as a dependent. Even someone here who knows this stuff would need more information from you. I don't know if you have one in your area, but call VITA (volunteer income tax assistance) which is an IRS volunteer program for lower income families. 1-800-829-1040.
Comment by LOTTOMIKE - March 16, 2008, 2:48 pm
thanks justx i'm gonna call and see what they have to say.
justxploringComment by justxploring - March 16, 2008, 7:02 pm
Actually, after I typed it, I realized the "1040" is just the toll free IRS number. They'll connect you to the right department.   Stay away from frauds who say they worked for the IRS, blah, blah.   This is the site for Tennessee.


This is for Memphis - it tells you how to get free tax preparation.


You must be a Lottery Post member to post comments to a Blog.

Register for a FREE membership, or if you're already a member please Log In.