Neal Boortz, a Libertarian usually comes up with some good workable logical solutions based on law since he is an attorney. From my perspective these sound pretty good especially to force registration compliance for visting worker programs which in NO WAY amounts to amnesty.
Live embedded links.
"President Bush is now on record as saying that a massive deportation of illegal aliens in this country just wouldn't work. OK, so he didn't call them "illegal aliens." He used the "immigrant" word. That doesn't work for me. Immigration is a legal procedure. Rushing across the border without permission is not immigration. It's trespassing at best, an invasion at worse. But .. we digress. Bush has now told Republicans that "massive deportation of the people here is unrealistic. It's just not going to work."
He may be right. I've said it before right here. If we started loading these criminals onto busses and airplanes and tried sending them back to Mexico, the Mexican government would simply deny permission for those busses to cross the border and for those airplanes to fly into Mexican airspace. The United Nations would then immediately start screaming about massive human rights abuses on the part of the U.S. Forced repatriation with Mexico for the invaders is simply not going to work.
Before we get to a plan that would work, let's review the problem.
Since 1990 an estimated 25 million Latinos have crossed the Mexican - American border .... northbound. The reason you keep hearing the 11 million figure is because the other 13 to 14 million were given amnesty during the mid-1990s.
Mexicans have come to view crossing the border into the United States in order to work and send money back home as a way of life. According to an AP article by Mark Stevenson (4/23/06) "Mexico's economy, society and political system are built around the assumption that migration and amnesties for undocumented migrants will continue -- and that the $20 billion they send home every year will keep coming, and almost certainly grow."
Stevenson also reports that Mexicans -- the ones actually living in Mexico -- are giving their babies American names like Johnny and Leslie so that they will fit in better once they've moved to the United States.
Vicente Fox, Mexico's president, considers the illegal aliens to be "heroes." Why? Because they send those tens of millions of dollars back to their families, thus, at least to some extent, relieving Fox of the necessity of tackling corruption in the Mexican government and reforming the Mexican economy so that these people can earn that money there instead of invading the United States to get work.
And please don't forget our friend, Professor Charles Truxillo of the University of New Mexico. Professor Truxillo says that there will be a new, sovereign Hispanic nation formed within the United States and northern Mexico in the not-too-distant future. The good professor says that this new nation, called "Republica del Norte" will take in all of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and southern Colorado, as well as several northern Mexican states. How will this all happen? Truxillo says it will come as a result of electoral pressure of the "future majority Hispanic population in the region."
You think it can't happen? Well, could you please tell me, then, why Mexican magazines are publishing articles praising the exploits of the "reconquistadors" while politely informing American citizens "with all due respect, Los Angeles is ours?"
Now, back to the president's remarks. As it happens, I agree. We aren't prepared to handle the reaction from Latin America and the howls of protest from the United Nations if we actually try to gather up these invaders and send them back from whence they came. There is, however, another way. Let me lay it out for you step-by-step.
1. Close the borders. Not next month. Now. Send the National Guard. Send American troops. What are they for if not to defend the borders of this country? Start stringing the barbed wire. Patrol with dogs. Do whatever needs to be done, but shut the border down. Let the rest of the world scream, but we have every right to defend our borders against invaders.
2. Immediately pass legislation providing for harsh penalties for any and all businesses and individuals who hire illegal aliens. No half-measures. Make it hurt. Last week immigration officials arrested over 1000 illegal aliens working for one company that makes pallets and shipping crates. The officers of that company should be headed to jail, and the company should be seized by the government and sold at auction with the proceeds being used to pay for securing our border. Put employers in jail --- take their stuff. Let them know that this is serious and that hiring illegal aliens is tantamount to giving aid and comfort to the enemy. The hell with their campaign contributions. Fine them and jail them. Make 'em scream. As for getting these jobs done? Pay a wage that will attract Americans. It won't hurt. The majority of people working in agriculture and construction in this country are citizens. They'll do the work. Spreading pine straw may be a problem.
3. Heavily tax all wire and other transfers of money from illegal aliens to their homelands. If Mexico is getting $20 billion a year from illegal aliens in the U.S., seize about 30% of it. Call it a fine. That $7 billion could also be spent on border and immigration control.
4. Change the law so that any child born to a person in this country illegally does not automatically become an American citizen. That child will adopt the citizenship of its mother.
5. Put an end to providing all but emergency social services to illegal aliens. No food stamps, no welfare benefits, no access to taxpayer-funded government schools ... no taxpayer-funded government services except for life saving medical care.
Enact those proposals, and what would we have? Those who have already illegally crossed the border will have one helluva time finding work in this country. No trabajo, no dinero. If they do find work they'll have another problem sending the money they earned back home. So .. they're here with no job, no prospect of finding a job, and no way to send their money back to Mexico without a heavy fine if they do happen to find work. Plus, they can't tap into the great American welfare state. What is there left to do? Go home! That's about it! And please notice that this is all accomplished without passing any laws making the illegals felons or threatening to deport them or put them in jail.
I heard of one other possible solution recently ... one that is apparently being given some consideration in Washington. Simply pass a law about illegal immigration that matches, word-for-word, the law in Mexico. Being in Mexico illegally is a crime, yet Mexico screams when we try to criminalize illegal aliens in this country. If our law read exactly the same as does theirs, what are they going to say? "